• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sooty isn't the same anymore :(

Hi everyone :)

Unfortunately in February, Brambles my gorgeous dwarf lop passed away. Sooty, his brother, had lived with Brambles all his life and now he is alone. When Brambles first left us, he was very nervous, distressed and not wanting to be stroked which is completely different to how he usually is - friendly, always wanting a cuddle. After a few weeks he seemed to come to terms with being without Brambles and started to go back to his usual self.
HOWEVER, now he is extremely snappy, will only sit and have a cuddle for a few minutes before chewing on my jumper and trying to jump off my knee. Whenever I put him in his run outside, he will sit staring at nothing the entire time.
I don't know what to do with him :( he has attention everyday and has toys in his hutch to keep him occupied when I'm not around but he just seems to have gone back to how he was when Brambles passed away - possibly worse.

What shall I do?
Is he too old to try and bond with another rabbit - he's just turned 5?

Thank you in advance.

I'm sorry to hear that Sooty is not himself anymore and I hope you can find a solution for him!

At 5, he isn't too old to bond with another rabbit. I'll be hopefully bonding my 5 year old does and a younger male very soon. :)

Hi, Poor Sooty. He certainly isn't too old to bond. My Ginny was 7 when she lost her sister. We were recommended Widget by the local rescue who was thought to be about 2. They've been together a year now and we've had no problems at all, only maybe that Ginny loves him so much and groomed his eyebrows off last year. He just lays there upside down with her. He's lively and she's a bit slow as she had a stroke 2 years ago. It seems that your Sooty would benefit from another friend. Good luck and love to Sooty.

Back