• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just had an accident! Help!

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
Bellatrix just jumped off my knee (I was on the floor) and hit her face on her hutch. There is some blood coming from her noes and I don't know what to do? She is hopping around now acting normal? Please help 😭

The bleeding stopped almost straight away and she cleaned it off herself, licking and with her feet. She's not bothering with it now and his happy hopping around and eating hay. Should I be worried? I feel terrible and I'm going away for the first time this weekend and leaving her with my dad and sister which I felt terrible about anyway :(

Poor Bellatrix. I agree with B&B Buns, I'd have her checked over by a vet, particularly as you are going away for the weekend.

I'll have to ring them then and see what they say as I'm working until 6 with 5 kids so it will be almost impossible to get her to the vets. I'll see what I can do

I'm also scared that taking her to the vets will cause her unnecessary stress. And she is acting normal, surely if something was wrong she would be showing signs of pain!?

I've booked an appointment for later, I won't be able to get off for my weekend as planned but clearly Bellatrix is more important.

And just a question about the vets. Bella gets scared in her pet carrier and is very calm in my arms. Is it inappropriate to carry her in?

And just a question about the vets. Bella gets scared in her pet carrier and is very calm in my arms. Is it inappropriate to carry her in?

I wouldn't do it. If there are dogs and cats at the vets as well they may try and get at your bunny and it only takes a noise to scare the rabbit and make it fight to get out of your arms. You do not want a loose bunny rabbit in a vets filled with dogs and cats.

I hope she is alright x

I hope your bun will be ok and hasn't misaligned her jaw. They have such fragile bones. I agree that you must take her to vet in a carrier.. Rabbits are easily spooked. Very often people with dogs in the waiting room have no idea that a rabbit is a prey species. Most dogs chase rabbits when out for their walks. Just this week I had two of my buns in a large wire carrier on my lap at the vets. A couple came in with their dog who they allowed to sniff at my buns and the stupid woman said how quiet they were. I told her that rabbits don't often make any noise and could she just sit her dog down please so they could settle. My buns are quite laid back but I have taken to holding the carrier on my lap as dogs make a beeline for rabbits and some owners think it's funny their dog is so interested. I saw someone once at the vet with his cat wrapped around his neck and a dog came in and the cat suddenly took off around the waiting room. Don't take any chances. It just takes seconds for a disaster. Good luck with bunny at the vet.

I've just had a very good look at her teeth and they look perfect. Is it still worth the stress of the vets do you think?

I would still get the vets to double check, just to be sure! They will hide pain that would cause us to wail if we had similar. Be good to just check her teeth, her jaw alignment and her eyes and make sure there's no bunny concussion!

I hope that Bellatrix is ok and that it was just superficial.

We haven't had to take Nymphadora to the vets yet but it's only 3 weeks until her neuter so we're trying to prepare her for the journey now. Our vets are really good and in the future it might be worth asking yours if they can do special arrangements for nervous animals.

Our cats absolutely freak out of we put them in a box so we tend to drive there with them on a harness (plugged in to the seatbelt) which is how we travel to go on holiday too and then we check in but wait in the car with them and the vet lets us bring them in the back door so that we don't have to deal with dogs, I adore dogs but I do find that dog owners don't often understand the impact it can have when they let their dog sniff or approach a cage with another animal in.

I wouldn't dream of taking a bunny in without being in a box but your vet may definitely be able to help reduce the stress of the situation!

Let us know how Bellatrix is x

Thanks all for stories, tips and advice. I took Bellatrix to the vets and she is totally fine. The vet said she just had a bust noes and can see no damage! She is eating, drinking, pooing, moving normally so I'm very relieved!

Thanks all for stories, tips and advice. I took Bellatrix to the vets and she is totally fine. The vet said she just had a bust noes and can see no damage! She is eating, drinking, pooing, moving normally so I'm very relieved!

You did the right thing in getting the Vet to check her over. You would not have been able to go away and not worry had you not done so.

I am glad that Bellatrix is OK :)

Back