• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some urgent help

FredW

Alpha Buck
Just got bunbuns back home with her new husbun... they were so loved up at the rescue place, really calm. since home, she's eaten and gone to toilet, he however hasn't eaten, even though he's sitting on hay, or done any toilet, I tried giving him fresh parsley and he's not eaten that either. he's not moved much, and they go from ignoring each other to fighting. but like fighting in a way they are like entangled, and fur flying everywhere, then next minute they just look at each other, stubbing noses, then next minute ignoring each other again. what shall I do, is that normal for when a buck comes to live where a doe used to be alone? really stressing a bit here

I don't have any experience of this, but could it be because the doe is back in the place where she lived previously on her own? is that what you mean when you say where a doe used to be alone? I'm just wondering whether the doe thinks it's her home. Or are they back in 'neutral' ground? ie where neither of them have been before. Hopefully fellow RU'ers with bonding experience will be along to help soon. Good luck

I assume they went back into a neutral area? Are there any other rabbits around that they may be able to smell?

I think that your doe is upset about sharing what was previously her hutch. When I have bonded buns myself I have put them in separate hutches and usually over a period of a couple of weeks let them roam about separately and sniff at each other through the hutch wires. I've swapped dirty litter trays and given them each others. They get used to each others smells. I've popped them in each others hutches to sleep alone. When I am confident they like each other through the wires and are used to the litter trays smells. I let them out together for a short time. I bonded Ginny aged 7 and Widget aged 2 at the time. They were very interested in each other and each day when I let them out I would increase the time allowed out together. Eventually they both went into one hutch and snuggled up together and shared the food dish and litter tray. I think it took me three weeks. I have never forced bunnies to like each other and don't agree with speed dating. Ginny and Widget have been together a year and really are a lovely successful bond..

Well they seem to have settled down a bit now... https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zeippifdjft79o/IMG_20150515_001611.jpg?dl=0 and they stopped fighting, only time when he tried to eat her broccoli stem, even though he had his own, but she let him. she keeps going to sniff him, their noses are together and she just leave him alone again.
this used to be her room, I don't really have a different room I can have them in, but I sprayed all out with vinegar and observing them, it's him who kept starting the fights, she's been really good. though I think he's not used to us, this environment, or even being indoors. so maybe he's just scared. I hope so. right now, they have been together for a few hour in this room without any issues, and he's started eating. and right now, they are sleeping. as you see in the picture. so it looks promising but will need to keep an eye on them. just so hate this all. cant wait for them to be close again, they were so loved up in the rescue place, each time I saw them they were cuddled up or exploring things together, so I hope they will be back to that again soon.

ok after only 3 1/2 hours sleep. so I didn't leave them alone to long woke up to no hair all over the floor, and both just laying around, separate still though, but they seemed ok. things have been all moved around as if they did some chasing, but I believe that's normal. my girl is trying to encourage him all the time, even saw her pushing an empty toilet roll towards him as if to play. also she's making loud grunting noises around him. but he's still just sitting in the corner not moving much. he used to be an outdoor rabbit and of course he isn't used to us. so maybe he just needs adjusting time. he's thumping his back legs a lot, which would indicate that he's not too happy, but he's eating and going to toilet. even did some pee in the litter box, I checked with my finger when he came out... only us bunny people would do that lol.... I saw him earlier with his hind legs spread out, would that be a sign that he's starting to relax?
I hope he comes out his shell soon, my girl keeps going up to him, I initially thought it was her being territorial when they were fighting, but under closer observation it's him who keeps snapping at her, cause I think he's scared of something, maybe his new environment? any tips on how I can make him feel more secure. I put my hand out to him, letting him sniff it without forcing a cuddle, he's doing that now, but still not very trusting at all. I guess I should try out why he was at the rescue, maybe he was mistreated as a baby or so? don't know, but any tips would help. like I said, it seems to come from him, since my doe, who I had for over two years is trying, it's just him not playing along and snapping at her.

Back