• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding advice for first time bunny owner!

Theo

Warren Scout
Hi all, thank you for taking the time to read this post! I have had Theo a neutered male for 2 months (he's around 7 months old but not definite) and he lives free range indoors. He is shut in his own room with a large two storey hutch and run inside as we have a house cat too. While they get on well together I wouldn't want to risk leaving them together over night. Also, I am aware that the cat is not a substitute for another rabbit.

So, I have a couple of questions...

1. I rescued him from the adoption centre at Pets at Home where he had been bullied by the other rabbits and hence separated...is it wise to bond him or is it likely he will be bullied again?

2. Would it be best to get him a female? A male? Does it matter?

3. Does age matter? If i got a baby does it affect bonding? Would a similar aged bun be better?

4. Since he is free to roam the flat, I have seen people put bunnies in the bath to bond, and I have read about disinfecting the kitchen floor. Any suggestions on which is best?

5. How small should a small enclosure be to help bond bunnies?

If you have read this far then thank you very much :) I look forward to hearing your thoughts x

Most rabbits are happier with a companion and the fact that he was bullied should not make a difference.
A spayed female would be ideal in my opinion (people have different views on this).
I suggest looking at Rescues - many will do the bonding, which makes life a lot easier. Do you have any fairly close to you?

Hi and welcome :wave:

1. There are some rabbits that don't like other buns but it is rare. I would think he was being bullied as maybe other buns were getting their dominance hormones before him :) Plus I wouldn't believe a word pets at home said ;)
In the main, bunnies love the company of a partner.
2. A male/ female bonding is usually best.
3. Age doesn't always matter but females are usually spayed at approx 5 months and it is so much easier to start with a pair already done.
4 and 5. I would contact your nearest reputable rescue for advice, they know their rabbits personality and have all sizes and types to give your fella the perfect wife. Some do the bonding for you...... lots less hassle :D

What general area are you. Some rescues rehome nationwide too :wave:

When bonding I like to give mine plenty of space with tunnels and places to hide but others prefer small spaces. As you will be bringing a female to bond with him it should be much easier than if it were the other way round. Being bullied is one of the "reasons" for being in the Adoption part of PAH. They know folk will feel sorry for them, I did, so give them a home! Hope you find a lovely female for him.

Just thought I would provide a quick update... We took Theo over to the RSPCA to meet a couple of rabbits - we're expecting a male Netherland who is of a similar age to come home with us tomorrow :) They met twice and straight away 'Alex' started licking Theos ears and Theo didn't seem to mind so took that as a good sign!

Thanks for everyone's advice, I just hope they behave in the same way once they're home together...wish us luck!

Aww I'm so pleased for you and Theo :D
RSPCA may have already told you to keep them in a smallish area at first, increasing the space gradually if there is no trouble between them. Can we have some pics soon please? x

Well the 'love at first sight' has turned sour! Picked up the new bunny (now named Thor) and Theo is being a nightmare towards him. Had them both in the bath as no neutral space and Theo was lashing out and biting.

Theo dragged Thors towel out of his carrier and started kicking it led on his side, it was awful to watch! What is he tries to do that to Thor who is half his size.

I'm thinking that Theo is being territorial and that he was only calm at the RSPCA visit because he had been in the car. Poor Thor still wants to be friends and tries licking him. Maybe I'll take Theo out in the car today and see how he is once we get home.

Last edited:
Yes they are both boys. They have both been neutered and are of similar age. Theo has never had a buddy before whereas Thor has been with a female but they were separated when they were both neutered at the RSPCA and she had also been rehomed. On the first two meets at the centre they were fine and Theo let Thor lick him etc no problem.

Currently got them set up in pens next to each other and so far so good.

image.jpg1_zpsdq0plhyk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yes they are both boys, both neutered and both of a similar age. Thor was from the RSPCA and has previously had a female buddy (separated when both neutered and rehomed separately) and Theo has never had a buddy before. On the first two meets at the centre they got on fine and Thor was just licking Theo and didn't leave his side.

This photo is where we're up to now...day 2 and in pens next to each other. They have eaten next to each other while in their own pen with out any growling and without Theo trying to charge at him!

Day 3 didn't go too well with fur flying so we're leaving them in separate pens for a while now. Theo does flop down at the side of the pen so Thor can lick him but if they touch noses he still tries to charge at him. Does this sound like they're heading in the right direction?!

Back