• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pip U/D post #55 - Fully recovered I hope :)

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
I found Pip inappetant last night after hours. About 9 PM, not sure if she'd eaten anything all day as I was running about trying to get the house cleaned up since my daughter is coming home this morning.
She only took a piece of kale and a craisin off me last night at 10 or 12. She ignored her hay cake which is a big red flag, but since she was only sitting in her litterbox, not really tummy pressing, had passed a few smallish poos and some strings of pearls. plus seemed like she wanted to wee wherever she sat and would lift her tail but just a dribble out and her water bowl seems untouched. I thought it was likely some ingested fur and I could pull her through. As of 4 a.m. she'd still not eaten or passed anything else, but she'd taken quite a few mls of bunny tummy tea so I had to try to sleep a bit and figured I'd check her this morning.
It's after 6:30 am here now, she hasn't moved, hasn't pooed and feels very empty whereas last night I thought I could hear and feel what I though were some contents moving. Her upper gut had felt a bit firm but shifted before I went to sleep. Now it's like there's nothing in there.

Scared to death...OH won't be back with daughter for another two hours and I am far too groggy to drive in. Syringing some Critical Care now which she took a bit of but she seems really tired. She licks her lips like she wants something but she's not really hungry for anything. She is not as "lively" for lack of a better word as last night.
Vet won't open will 8. I'm hoping to get her admitted. But I've never seen her like this before and I'm afraid I'll lose her by then.
Help please? My daughter can't come home to find her bunny has died. :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
Can you syringe feed her water too, it's important to keep her fluids up. Have you got any metacam just for pain relief.

Oh No!!

I don't know if you have infant gripe water or simethicone (Infacol) where you are? I checked with a savvy vet and no matter if it's stasis or a blockage, she said it was OK to administer those.

Good luck!

Yes I've always given Doughnut infracol as it will help with the gas if your little one has it. You can give 1ml every hour without any harm and will also help with their fluids.

Other than that I can't think of much you can do without pain relief.

I would sit outside the vets at 8 to get in asap.

I found Pip inappetant last night after hours. About 9 PM, not sure if she'd eaten anything all day as I was running about trying to get the house cleaned up since my daughter is coming home this morning.
She only took a piece of kale and a craisin off me last night at 10 or 12. She ignored her hay cake which is a big red flag, but since she was only sitting in her litterbox, not really tummy pressing, had passed a few smallish poos and some strings of pearls. plus seemed like she wanted to wee wherever she sat and would lift her tail but just a dribble out and her water bowl seems untouched. I thought it was likely some ingested fur and I could pull her through. As of 4 a.m. she'd still not eaten or passed anything else, but she'd taken quite a few mls of bunny tummy tea so I had to try to sleep a bit and figured I'd check her this morning.
It's after 6:30 am here now, she hasn't moved, hasn't pooed and feels very empty whereas last night I thought I could hear and feel what I though were some contents moving. Her upper gut had felt a bit firm but shifted before I went to sleep. Now it's like there's nothing in there.

Scared to death...OH won't be back with daughter for another two hours and I am far too groggy to drive in. Syringing some Critical Care now which she took a bit of but she seems really tired. She licks her lips like she wants something but she's not really hungry for anything. She is not as "lively" for lack of a better word as last night.
Vet won't open will 8. I'm hoping to get her admitted. But I've never seen her like this before and I'm afraid I'll lose her by then.
Help please? My daughter can't come home to find her bunny has died. :cry::cry::cry:

It sounds as though she may have cystitis. Does she display any guarding if you very gently feel her bladder ? Can you ask the Vet if you can administer some Metacam until such a time that you can get her to the Vets ?

We're 30 minutes away from the vet at a good clip. Both my son and I haven't slept.
I am syringing water as well because I don't think she drank much of anything yesterday.
I have some baby simethicone but am not certain it has xylitol in it or not...these genetically modified sugars can kill an animal.

I'm terrified...shaking so hard I can barely type.

Jane...thank God...I really wouldn't know if her bladder is full to be honest, but that's what I thought it might be. When I was holding her, feeling her tummy last night she would react when I was up high. It seemed like things were very full towards the front up by her ribs, but then it wasn't later when I put her back to bed. She seems "comfy" on the electric blanket so naturally I just thought it was stasis.

Her last dose of metacam was 0.4 mls last night about 11 pm...not sure if she's got enough in her to risk giving more without messing up her stomach more. Plus it's hours early.

God I hope I didn't hurt anything trying to give light massage last night...what have I done? :cry:

We're 30 minutes away from the vet at a good clip. Both my son and I haven't slept.
I am syringing water as well because I don't think she drank much of anything yesterday.
I have some baby simethicone but am not certain it has xylitol in it or not...these genetically modified sugars can kill an animal.

I'm terrified...shaking so hard I can barely type.

Jane...thank God...I really wouldn't know if her bladder is full to be honest, but that's what I thought it might be. When I was holding her, feeling her tummy last night she would react when I was up high. It seemed like things were very full towards the front up by her ribs, but then it wasn't later when I put her back to bed. She seems "comfy" on the electric blanket so naturally I just thought it was stasis.

Her last dose of metacam was 0.4 mls last night about 11 pm...not sure if she's got enough in her to risk giving more without messing up her stomach more. Plus it's hours early.

God I hope I didn't hurt anything trying to give light massage last night...what have I done? :cry:

I very much doubt you have done any damage. The straining to wee and the not eating really does sound like cystitis. You may know yourself how horrid that can be. Has she ever had a history of bladder sludge ? That too can cause the symptoms you are describing. Hope you are able to speak with the Vet soon xx

I've seen her pass silty wee before. She's had a small amount of that in the last week or so, but don't see anything near that bad now.
It's just come on so suddenly. And I don't know now if she's not peeing because she can't or because she's had little water for twelve to 24 hours.

I've seen her pass silty wee before. She's had a small amount of that in the last week or so, but don't see anything near that bad now.
It's just come on so suddenly. And I don't know now if she's not peeing because she can't or because she's had little water for twelve to 24 hours.

Bladder sludge can build up over weeks. So it can be that it appears to come on suddenly, but that's only because it has either become too thick to fully pass and/or it has irritated the bladder wall to cause cystitis.

Sending millions of vibes for her xx

The worst part is I can't even function enough to drive right now, son can't leave the other animals...I either have to take the chance to do this myself or wait for OH to arrive and have him help.
Vet is not in yet, so I'm kind of lost either way.

At least she's taking small amounts of water and critical care by syringe, but I just don't know. Ears are the right temp and I don't think there was any whiteness to her gums.

The worst part is I can't even function enough to drive right now, son can't leave the other animals...I either have to take the chance to do this myself or wait for OH to arrive and have him help.
Vet is not in yet, so I'm kind of lost either way.

Do you know how long it'll be before your OH and C are home ?

I guess there is no-one else other than your Son who could give you a lift to the Vet ?

How is Pip within herself at the moment ?

Their flight should either have already landed or will be landing soon. Not sure I can reach them before they start out to us. He likely wouldn't expect me to be awake but I'll try ringing his phone soon.
Son has to be here to watch all the other animals...mainly the dogs who are loose in the house and no crates to put them in.
Pip keeps washing her feet. She seems too quiet for her, but looks about occasionally, just not my stroppy madam I'm used to. She just shifted position but doesn't go far on the bed.

I'm afraid to give metacam because it's two hours early and I don't want to make it so the doc can't give her anything. But I am sure she can't be comfy.

She's showing a wee bit more interest in the recovery and water atm. I can get about 1 ml into her at a time now. She's washing the remains off her dewlap.

Just spoke with OH...he's on the way out, he is :censored: as heck but he may drive me in. At least he'll be here for the pets and kids if not.

Just spoke with OH...he's on the way out, he is :censored: as heck but he may drive me in. At least he'll be here for the pets and kids if not.

Maybe OH could stay at home and your son could then drive you in then ? That might appease the OH a bit xx

At vets now...been here waiting for them to squeeze us in over an hour. OH drove. He's not happy.
Prayers needed please. The vet who treated Fiver two weeks ago will be tending Pip today.

Back