• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help little Khalil please

Mandarina

New Kit
***Sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language.

I live with two little bunnies, they're 4 months old and this last week I'm noticing that one of them makes some strange noises whenever he eats and runs, it sound like snoring.
Also, he is thinner than his brother and his hair has a strange palid tone.
Apart from this the rabbit behaviour seems normal.
I took him to the vet but he only gave him an inyection of antibiotic and nothing else. I think I choose a bad vet... I ask another vet but he said it was just a cold, nothing to worry about.

They are in no contact with other animals and I keep them in my room and play with them on the terrace when they can run free. I don't understand why one them is ok but the other one has these problem.

Any idea what could be happening to him? I'm worried about my little friend. Any help is welcome, thank you for your time and once again sorry if my english is bad.

Last edited:
It can be a lot of things. It sounds like the first vet thought your bunny has a bacterial infection in his nose. Did your bunny only get the one injection of antibiotic, or did your vet give you some medicine to give your bunny at home?
Some bunnies can have bacteria from their mothers when they are born, and it shows up or gets worse later. Some individuals are able to fight the bacteria better than others.
Does your bunny sneeze? Does your bunny have anything coming out of his nose? If so, is it clear and thin, or is it cloudy and thick?

You bunny can also have a parasite, dental problems, respiratory problems, or heart condition. If the antibiotics do not help him, he may need a different antibiotic, or he may have a different problem so he may need to go back to the vet or to a different vet.

Others on this forum can tell you more and tell you what articles to read.

I hope your bunny recovers soon.

Hi :wave:

I think going to another vet might be the best option. You know your bunnies and if one of them isn't doing very well and you're worried it is definitely worth getting another opinion. I hope you manage to work it out and he gets better.

Hi :wave:

I think going to another vet might be the best option. You know your bunnies and if one of them isn't doing very well and you're worried it is definitely worth getting another opinion. I hope you manage to work it out and he gets better.

I agree with this.

Its likely that your rabbit will need more than just one injection.A "rabbit cold" needs treatment unlike our colds.As bunny moma said it could be something else that's wrong with him.A different vet might be able to find out what is wrong with him and give him the medicine he needs.
I hope he is better soon.

Last edited:
Are you sure the noise is a 'snuffle' and not a 'hum/honk' ? Bucks (male Rabbits) can become very vocal when they reach puberty and at 4 months of age your Bucks are likely to be at that stage.

If you do still think the noise is related to a respiratory tract problem then as others have suggested it'd be a good idea to find a Vet who has a bit more knowledge about Rabbit Medicine. Although as I do not know what country your are in I do not know if Vet Care is readily accessible to you, especially Vet Care specifically for Rabbits.

***Sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language.

I live with two little bunnies, they're 4 months old and this last week I'm noticing that one of them makes some strange noises whenever he eats and runs, it sound like snoring.
Also, he is thinner than his brother and his hair has a strange palid tone.
Apart from this the rabbit behaviour seems normal.
I took him to the vet but he only gave him an inyection of antibiotic and nothing else. I think I choose a bad vet... I ask another vet but he said it was just a cold, nothing to worry about.

They are in no contact with other animals and I keep them in my room and play with them on the terrace when they can run free. I don't understand why one them is ok but the other one has these problem.

Any idea what could be happening to him? I'm worried about my little friend. Any help is welcome, thank you for your time and once again sorry if my english is bad.

It's not easy to say from your description, but if the vet has said he has a 'cold' and has given a one off antibiotic injection, I would think about seeing another vet. Rabbit's don't get colds in the same way that we do, and they need a longer course of antibiotics to address the problem.

Your vet did not mention hormonal issues, but as rabbit get to the 'adolescent' stage, they can become vocal. I think it's more likely your vet spotted some irregularity in his breathing sounds, but just to be aware they can become 'honky' as they get sexually mature.

Welcome to the Forum Mandarina, and your English is very good! :wave:

Thank you all for your advices, I really apreciate them. I think getting him to another vet -a rabbit's vet- is the best choice and I'm trying to find one near my area, but it's hard because I live in a small town.

Thank you all!

Ps. I'm from Spain.

Thank you all for your advices, I really apreciate them. I think getting him to another vet -a rabbit's vet- is the best choice and I'm trying to find one near my area, but it's hard because I live in a small town.

Thank you all!

Ps. I'm from Spain.

Oh I see! Nice to have you here :D

I do hope you manage to sort things out and get a vet who's sympathetic and knowledgable. They aren't always easy to come by - anywhere :wave:

Back