• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this ok?

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
Bellatrix was lying today on her side with her head on the ground rather that upright. I read this-

"When your rabbit is laying on hi/her side, with the legs stretched out completely or sometimes slightly curled in, it is also a pose of relaxing and happiness. The head should be upright, not touching the ground; if the head is lolled over to the side or touching the ground, your rabbit may be ill."

Is it something to worry about?

Last edited:
My Rabbit does this too :shock: She seems fine though but I do hope it isn't anything to worry about. Will keep an eye on the thread :) xx

Mine does it all the time, she does it often after she rolled on her back for cuddles or sometimes just flops herself on the ground like that, she often even closes her eyes when I cuddle her when she's like that. I think the thing to bear in mind, us humans are all different and if we looked up all the different symptoms we experience it would make us go crazy, so no doubt all buns are somewhat different on some level. if Bellattix looks relaxed and you don't see any other signs of her having issues, I'd go with saying it should be ok, but maybe someone else can add more. Bunbuns has done it for most of her life and the vet is always happy with how she is

Bellattix was lying today on her side with her head on the ground rather that upright. I read this-

"When your rabbit is laying on hi/her side, with the legs stretched out completely or sometimes slightly curled in, it is also a pose of relaxing and happiness. The head should be upright, not touching the ground; if the head is lolled over to the side or touching the ground, your rabbit may be ill."

Is it something to worry about?

If you look at the photographs section you will see plenty of pics of relaxed bunnies with their heads touching the ground. (Am I being thick here - ! - or is it difficult for them to lay on their side but have their head upright?)

Does your rabbit seem fine in every other way?

They could be referring to head tilt found when rabbits have ec or an ear infection. My Mottle has a bit of head tilt atm but he doesnt lie on his side any more.

What you are describing sounds more like a 'dead bunny flop' ie very relaxed contented rabbit that gives us slaves a fright!

Thanks everyone, that's what I thought. What I read just made me worry. I think she's more sleepy and relaxed because the sun's out and it's warm!

Back