Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rescue Rabbits Returned

Banned

Default Rescue Rabbits Returned

Last edited by Scruffy; 12-05-2015 at 09:49 PM.

In the last 2 weeks, we have had 6 bunnies returned to us, which is more than what we had returned in the whole of last year. It's heartbreaking.
    Could you offer one of our bunnies in care a forever home?? RSPCA Walsall Bunnies

Banned

Last edited by Scruffy; 12-05-2015 at 09:49 PM.

Mama Doe

How can people do such a thing? It breaks your heart. I suppose having lost one rabbit, they realised they didn't really want to keep rabbits any more. Maybe the kids have grown up. How does the poor bun feel having lost it's partner? I hate people. All buns need a forever home! They're not all like cuddly toys. They have feelings!
    Last edited by Fluffybunny54; 09-05-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: I needed to add a bit more

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
    Today whilst in the rescue I was looking at all the lovely buns looking for homes. Some of these buns had "RETURNED" labelled on their hutch/cage/pen.

I asked the lady why they had been returned, whether it was a broken down bond etc.. it turns out that two of the returns were rescue buns from the rescue that had bonded with other peoples buns, when their original buns died they returned the rescue rabbits!! (two separate families I may add!!) The other one was returned as she was "cute" but not very "cuddly" and more of a "rabbit's rabbit than a people rabbit."

What is wrong with people??
    Occasionally an agreement is made with the Rescue Centre that when their original bun dies, the rescue rehomed to them comes back to the Rescue. It means that two buns get to love some bun at least ... Then the rescue bun has a chance at love again - hopefully.

I have worked with Rescues where this has happened

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Occasionally an agreement is made with the Rescue Centre that when their original bun dies, the rescue rehomed to them comes back to the Rescue. It means that two buns get to love some bun at least ... Then the rescue bun has a chance at love again - hopefully.

I have worked with Rescues where this has happened
    Why wouldn't they rescue another bun to live with the surviving bun of the original pair though? That's so sad, especially considering how hard it probably is to rehome older buns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Rabbie Family: Sumpy (RIP), Cory & Caireann, Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mandmcc View Post
    Why wouldn't they rescue another bun to live with the surviving bun of the original pair though? That's so sad, especially considering how hard it probably is to rehome older buns

you could keep going forever like that. The keeping of animals that need a companion can be a hard cycle to break.

Having had to return an animal to a rescue myself, I sympathise with those who didn't get what they signed up for or, for whatever reason, are no longer able to look after a rescued animal. At least they tried to do the right thing by rescuing in the first place. More than can be said for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandmcc View Post

Speaking with someone yesterday about this same situation, apparently single older rabbits do reasonably well as if people lose one older bun, they may adopt another, similar ages bun to help live the rest of the days out.

But I guess they may become more expensive when older, or at least it's assumed they may have more health issues!

Some folks may come to the realization that if one of a pair passes, then the remaining bun needs a new partner, perhaps when that one dies they need to adopt another partner bunny and they may see it as an unending cycle and not wish to carry on having rabbits. And for others it is also heartbreaking to discover they cannot keep their bunny because they are not able for even a good reason to continue the commitment.
    Personally, I would rather that a bunny be returned to rescue for the chance at getting a new forever home and partner that may be more permanent than to be lonely and perhaps forgotten in the home they were living in. Or when people struggle with their upkeep even if they have the best intentions. But yes, it is a sad situation. Real rough on the rescues too.

Mighty Max makes a good point. Some rescue do have a return policy. Which I think is extra insurance that bun gets a good home with a friend.
    Just saw Battlekat's post... she said it better than I did.

Mama Doe

It just seems abit like a "borrow"and lack of commitment to a rescue bun.When I had Joe from a local rescue for my girlie bun Harriet and she died shortly after and the lady at the rescue asked if I wanted to return him.No way.I made a forever commitment to lovely Joe and he was mine as well as Harriets.Very sadly he died afew months later from a mystery stasis problem which couldn't be revealed by post mortem.It was a horrible time but they were very happy together for awhile.