• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue Rabbits Returned

In the last 2 weeks, we have had 6 bunnies returned to us, which is more than what we had returned in the whole of last year. It's heartbreaking.

How can people do such a thing? It breaks your heart. I suppose having lost one rabbit, they realised they didn't really want to keep rabbits any more. Maybe the kids have grown up. How does the poor bun feel having lost it's partner? I hate people. All buns need a forever home! They're not all like cuddly toys. They have feelings!

Last edited:
Today whilst in the rescue I was looking at all the lovely buns looking for homes. Some of these buns had "RETURNED" labelled on their hutch/cage/pen.

I asked the lady why they had been returned, whether it was a broken down bond etc.. it turns out that two of the returns were rescue buns from the rescue that had bonded with other peoples buns, when their original buns died they returned the rescue rabbits!! (two separate families I may add!!) The other one was returned as she was "cute" but not very "cuddly" and more of a "rabbit's rabbit than a people rabbit."

What is wrong with people?? :evil:

Occasionally an agreement is made with the Rescue Centre that when their original bun dies, the rescue rehomed to them comes back to the Rescue. It means that two buns get to love some bun at least ... Then the rescue bun has a chance at love again - hopefully.

I have worked with Rescues where this has happened :)

Occasionally an agreement is made with the Rescue Centre that when their original bun dies, the rescue rehomed to them comes back to the Rescue. It means that two buns get to love some bun at least ... Then the rescue bun has a chance at love again - hopefully.

I have worked with Rescues where this has happened :)

Why wouldn't they rescue another bun to live with the surviving bun of the original pair though? That's so sad, especially considering how hard it probably is to rehome older buns :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why wouldn't they rescue another bun to live with the surviving bun of the original pair though? That's so sad, especially considering how hard it probably is to rehome older buns :(

you could keep going forever like that. The keeping of animals that need a companion can be a hard cycle to break.

Having had to return an animal to a rescue myself, I sympathise with those who didn't get what they signed up for or, for whatever reason, are no longer able to look after a rescued animal. At least they tried to do the right thing by rescuing in the first place. More than can be said for some.

Speaking with someone yesterday about this same situation, apparently single older rabbits do reasonably well as if people lose one older bun, they may adopt another, similar ages bun to help live the rest of the days out.

But I guess they may become more expensive when older, or at least it's assumed they may have more health issues!

Some folks may come to the realization that if one of a pair passes, then the remaining bun needs a new partner, perhaps when that one dies they need to adopt another partner bunny and they may see it as an unending cycle and not wish to carry on having rabbits. And for others it is also heartbreaking to discover they cannot keep their bunny because they are not able for even a good reason to continue the commitment.
Personally, I would rather that a bunny be returned to rescue for the chance at getting a new forever home and partner that may be more permanent than to be lonely and perhaps forgotten in the home they were living in. Or when people struggle with their upkeep even if they have the best intentions. But yes, it is a sad situation. Real rough on the rescues too.

Mighty Max makes a good point. Some rescue do have a return policy. Which I think is extra insurance that bun gets a good home with a friend. :love:
Just saw Battlekat's post... she said it better than I did. :thumb: :D

It just seems abit like a "borrow"and lack of commitment to a rescue bun.:(When I had Joe from a local rescue for my girlie bun Harriet and she died shortly after and the lady at the rescue asked if I wanted to return him.No way.I made a forever commitment to lovely Joe and he was mine as well as Harriets.Very sadly he died afew months later from a mystery stasis problem which couldn't be revealed by post mortem.:cry:It was a horrible time but they were very happy together for awhile.

Yes, I suppose I was just thinking of my own two girls rescued and bonded to my boys, there's no way I could think of giving them back but I understand everyone's circumstances are different and I didn't bring them here with a view to returning them at a later point so I've fully bonded with them too. I completely sympathise with someone giving a beloved pet up to rescue because they have no other choice, that's awful but I thought it might be something more than that with so many being returned. Maybe northern Ireland's not at the same place yet as the rest of the UK with regard to rescuing buns because my local rescue seems to have a large number of older buns who've been there for yonks! Then again that could be to do with the never ending supply of baby bunnies and poor info at the local pet shop too!

That's so sad hoppetylop. I think if I couldn't keep bunnies any more it would break my heart. I haven't been without a bun for 34 years. It's only in the last 8 years I've kept bonded buns. It is a cycle of losing one, then rebonding but I think it's my responsibility to do my very best for buns that need love and affection. I worry that my age is against me now as I'm 61. So mortality hits us all. I hope I can offer buns all the love for more years yet.

That's so sad hoppetylop. I think if I couldn't keep bunnies any more it would break my heart. I haven't been without a bun for 34 years. It's only in the last 8 years I've kept bonded buns. It is a cycle of losing one, then rebonding but I think it's my responsibility to do my very best for buns that need love and affection. I worry that my age is against me now as I'm 61. So mortality hits us all. I hope I can offer buns all the love for more years yet.

61 is no age at all Fluffybunny :wave:

It's the new 40!

I love my buns and I couldn't ever think of giving them up. Sometimes people make an agreement with the Rescue before they take them on when they don't want to continue the cycle of having buns.

I remember when I got a friend for my Max, I was just diagnosed with cancer. the Rescue kindly said that if I found I couldn't cope they would take her back. They even said they would take her *and* Max. It was an unbelievably kind offer, but I knew I could never ever give them up, except over my own dead body :)

I couldn't give my bunnies up either. I was only noting that some folks might have to because they are thinking of the bunny's welfare first.
For me, my own age is also a factor in having any more pets, not just bunnies. I do not feel as physically capable in their care as I was 8 years ago, when Mimzy first arrived home. In the last year I've had enough health concerns that I feel it would be best not to take on any more animal companions. It makes my heart ache because I do love sharing my home with animals so very much. :cry:
This does not mean I will rehome my pets though, as I took them on for the duration and I will do whatever it takes to keep them happy till the day they leave me for the Bridge.

It's the new 40!

I love my buns and I couldn't ever think of giving them up. Sometimes people make an agreement with the Rescue before they take them on when they don't want to continue the cycle of having buns.

I remember when I got a friend for my Max, I was just diagnosed with cancer. the Rescue kindly said that if I found I couldn't cope they would take her back. They even said they would take her *and* Max. It was an unbelievably kind offer, but I knew I could never ever give them up, except over my own dead body :)

Blimey MightyMax im so sorry to hear that.:shock:Of course that's an entirely different matter.How brilliant of the rescue to give you such peace of mind at such a worrying time.Im glad all turned out well in the end.x

Blimey MightyMax im so sorry to hear that.:shock:Of course that's an entirely different matter.How brilliant of the rescue to give you such peace of mind at such a worrying time.Im glad all turned out well in the end.x

You're kind Hoppetylop :wave:

I've made good provisions in my will for all my buns, so I feel confident whatever happens!

It was just such a funny feeling to have someone offer to take 2 of my buns .... almost as if they'd offered to cut my right arm off :lol:

However, I know not everyone gets as hooked on these critters as we all do here :love:

In the last 2 weeks, we have had 6 bunnies returned to us, which is more than what we had returned in the whole of last year. It's heartbreaking.

that is sad..we had a few returned the year efore last but so far this year,,we've been ok. Mind you our homing is quite slow

It's the new 40!

Meant to comment to this...sorry my brain is addled from lack of sleep. :(
(((((((Huge hugs))))))) for you MM. xxxx
Mimzy came to us a few years after I finished my treatments and he brightened my life so that I finally felt like getting out of bed again, but I had other pets then and did worry what would happen to them without me. Sure my OH and kids were there, but they don't care for them like I do. My daughter loves them but she has issues that would likely make the daily routine with three cats, two dogs and three rabbits very wearing on her. Still she'd take them on.
It would make me absolutely desperate if my disease returned whilst I still have my current zoo. How kind of the rescue to make that offer but yeah, I can see why it wasn't even on the table! :thumb:

Your other post talks about provisions in one's will...I have often thought of doing that and know I need to make one, but I don't have the money available to see an expensive lawyer. My grandfather had a living trust that listed all his wishes upon becoming either incapacitated or passing away, but I found a lot of authorities don't put much stock in these. Of course that was almost 25 years ago, things have changed, but I would be concerned that my wishes would be ignored. :(

Sorry, kind of a thread hijack but it's actually been a concern in recent years that I don't have things set up yet for this eventuality. :(

Do they give reasons? I just don't get it, why make a commitment and then fail that poor bun? (damn good excuses aside!)

Yep, they obviously have to give a reason, I always ask them. 2 single bunnies (both of their friends died) both people have said they've just not bonded with the 'rescue' rabbit :'( Heartbreaking as it is to think about, it's best they come back to us as I'd hate for them to not be wanted. To be honest a pair and a single we had back in the last few weeks, the reasons were very genuine and I felt sorry for both the owners :(

Meant to comment to this...sorry my brain is addled from lack of sleep. :(
(((((((Huge hugs))))))) for you MM. xxxx
Mimzy came to us a few years after I finished my treatments and he brightened my life so that I finally felt like getting out of bed again, but I had other pets then and did worry what would happen to them without me. Sure my OH and kids were there, but they don't care for them like I do. My daughter loves them but she has issues that would likely make the daily routine with three cats, two dogs and three rabbits very wearing on her. Still she'd take them on.
It would make me absolutely desperate if my disease returned whilst I still have my current zoo. How kind of the rescue to make that offer but yeah, I can see why it wasn't even on the table! :thumb:

Your other post talks about provisions in one's will...I have often thought of doing that and know I need to make one, but I don't have the money available to see an expensive lawyer. My grandfather had a living trust that listed all his wishes upon becoming either incapacitated or passing away, but I found a lot of authorities don't put much stock in these. Of course that was almost 25 years ago, things have changed, but I would be concerned that my wishes would be ignored. :(

Sorry, kind of a thread hijack but it's actually been a concern in recent years that I don't have things set up yet for this eventuality. :(

Thank you for your kind thoughts MimzMum :love:

Yes it is kind of hijacking the thread, and sorry, but it is a very good idea to provide for your buns should something happen to you. I didn't pay a bean for my will, as I had it done through an animal charity - I am leaving money from my house to the charity in my will, so they did it for me for free. We have this kind of arrangement in the UK - I don't know whether you do?

I find Rescues exceptional places full of remarkable people - that's why I've spent so much of my life volunteering for one or another (or sometimes three at once :shock: )

Love to you also MimzMum and I hope you remain healthy and happy for many many long years to come :D

Back