• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hollie has an Abscess, Good update P61

A wee update.....

The abscess was caused by elongated tooth roots :( The vet never took her tooth out at this stage as she has three roots that look suspicious and she thought we should concentrate on getting rid of the infection for now. The vet stitched the abscess open, so I can get in to clean it. There was LOADS of cream cheesy bloody pus when I got her home yesterday, but when I cleaned it again at night and this morning there was only tiny bits. I am thinking that the vet just never got it all out to begin with.

I don't know what the prognosis is for the future. I am gutted for her and me.

She is still not eating. I have had to come to work as I was off yesterday.....and to top it all off it is my 40th Birthday today - how great!

A wee update.....

The abscess was caused by elongated tooth roots :( The vet never took her tooth out at this stage as she has three roots that look suspicious and she thought we should concentrate on getting rid of the infection for now. The vet stitched the abscess open, so I can get in to clean it. There was LOADS of cream cheesy bloody pus when I got her home yesterday, but when I cleaned it again at night and this morning there was only tiny bits. I am thinking that the vet just never got it all out to begin with.

I don't know what the prognosis is for the future. I am gutted for her and me.

She is still not eating. I have had to come to work as I was off yesterday.....and to top it all off it is my 40th Birthday today - how great!

Oh poor Hollie :cry: Could you have her re-admitted today for ongoing Nursing care- ie regular analgesia via injection/syringe feeds/fluids etc ?

I guess she must have been prescribed more than just Metacam for pain relief given how painful things must be ?

Millions more vibes being sent for her xx

No, she just has Metacam. I gave her it this morning.

I tried to give her syringe recovery and mushed up pellets but she just spat most of it out. Probably got a wee bit in, but not much.

I am at work but Chris was in trying to feed her just there and she wouldn't take anything, so I told him to go out and pick dandelions and cut them up into wee bits, he said that when he went back into the room she was eating the 'hay' bowl that I left out for her. (Consisted of the wee bitty bits of hay at the bottom of the bag). So hopefully she is eating that. I have left out loads of things for her, Herbie is loving it, he is like a kid at Christmas eating all of the stuff.

Gran is up at the moment……she just gave her some clover and plantain and she said that she is eating it 

I think maybe the pain killer this morning has just helped her and she is feeling better……fingers crossed.

No, she just has Metacam. I gave her it this morning.

I tried to give her syringe recovery and mushed up pellets but she just spat most of it out. Probably got a wee bit in, but not much.

I am at work but Chris was in trying to feed her just there and she wouldn't take anything, so I told him to go out and pick dandelions and cut them up into wee bits, he said that when he went back into the room she was eating the 'hay' bowl that I left out for her. (Consisted of the wee bitty bits of hay at the bottom of the bag). So hopefully she is eating that. I have left out loads of things for her, Herbie is loving it, he is like a kid at Christmas eating all of the stuff.

I'm so sorry! Not eating is serious, but what you've described of the abscess producing more 'cheesy stuff' is normal. The vet will have cleaned it all out, but the abscess site keeps producing infection.

I find even with Metacam, cleaning it is painful, as there are just so many nerve endings in the face/jaw.

Good luck with the feeding - I'm glad you've got people on hand to help.

You'll have to have a second celebration further down the line for your special birthday :wave:

Sending lots of healing vibes for Hollie. Hoping she gets better really soon. Have a Happy Birthday. Maybe celebrate at a later date when things have improved a bit.xxxx

Do you think she may need Tramadol alongside Metacam if shes very uncomfortable?This made a lot of difference to my bunny when he had ear pain.It may be worth asking your vet.
Sounds like Hollie has had a similar procedure to my Milly.Really hope she improves very soon.x

She is eating more now, still not her 100% self, but deffo better than she was last night, she has the vets at 9am, so will ask for extra meds if she is not better in the morning.

She is eating more now, still not her 100% self, but deffo better than she was last night, she has the vets at 9am, so will ask for extra meds if she is not better in the morning.

Glad she seems alittle better.May make a lot of difference re pain relief meds.Millys on upper end Metacam dosage twice daily.These abscesses must be very uncomfortable.Hope the appointment in the morning is helpful.

Tramadol made a huge difference to Nena just after her operations, I would definitely recommend it! After her first operation with Marie Kubiak she didn't eat by herself for about a week I think... what really tempted her was herbs, and carrot/parsnip peelings. I remember huge amounts of pus at the beginning too :( So sad to hear how bad it is :(

Back