• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

encouraging play

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
Jasper was very withdrawn when he first arrived and is definitely coming out of his shell but does lack confidence and fitness.
He's not big on playing though and I want to encourage him as I think it will improve his confidence.

He has done a few binkies, he does periscope now and has done a flop and has explored the toys in his run including his tunnel for the first time today. He also just chinned his new hidehouse. :)

I know he's come on leaps and bounds already but he doesn't chew or dig, or throw things despite havings lots of toys, he isn't interested in exploring new items when I put his food in them either :(

What other things can I do to encourage more rabbit like "play" behaviour?

Last edited:
Keep doing what you are doing. Variety. Keep changing his toys. My lot soon get bored with stuff. Cardboard boxes are excellent as they can be chucked away and are free!

Hi, my buns have always loved playing with the temporary plastic flowerpots you buy plants in from shops and garden centres. After said plants are potted into terracotta pots or the garden I leave the empty plastic pots on the path. When the bunnies are let out for their run around they tend to make a beeline for the pots and love to toss them around. They have some 9 inch diameter drainage plastic pipes they use as tunnels and I have friends who use old chimney pots bought from a building reclamation company. All good fun for the buns.

Sounds like the more settled he gets the more he is playing and exploring. He may just need more time but I think that you are going about everything the right way. Keep it up.

Lopsy has a green tunnel that he throws, well tries to. Putting food in things to throw helps too: I like tubes and flat boxes, Lopsy gets proper irate with them XD

Is he still reserved for afoption?

He's going to his new home on 6th June with a lovely couple where he'll be a very, very spoilt house rabbit with access to his own secure garden which he'll love.
He loves his tunnels and to throw balls too, he's really come out of his shell now and is the perfect rabbit (don't tell mine I said that).

Sadly my cat is not impressed with having a house rabbit (mostly due to my girls chasing her given half a chance) so it wouldn't have been fair to keep him myself as much as I would love too as it would mean keeping one of them confined when we're not there to supervise. At the moment we're managing this by Jasper being out during the day when I'm at work but we wouldn't be able to keep that arrangement all year round due to the temperature changes between indoors and outside.

On the plus side over the last three months I've had three foster rabbits who've found their forever homes - so that's three rabbits I've managed to help :)

Last edited:
Back