• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice please on hutch swapping for bonding

Rita

Warren Scout
hello all

just some advice really on what you all thought of hutch swapping to bond two bunnies.
they see each other most days in the run. they were a bonded pair but had to separate for neutering purpose.
now do you swap hutches or am i going to stress them out.
or should i just bite the bullet and put them in a room and sit and wait to see how they get along.
i was going to do 1 hours if all is well.
they kiss each other through the wire in the run but not lie together.
really want this to be ok. so any advice would be welcomed.

hello all

just some advice really on what you all thought of hutch swapping to bond two bunnies.
they see each other most days in the run. they were a bonded pair but had to separate for neutering purpose.
now do you swap hutches or am i going to stress them out.
or should i just bite the bullet and put them in a room and sit and wait to see how they get along.
i was going to do 1 hours if all is well.
they kiss each other through the wire in the run but not lie together.
really want this to be ok. so any advice would be welcomed.

I would say that as you are going to have to bite the bullet some time, I wouldn't bother with changing hutches etc. It's not really an indication of how they will get on, though of course it will acclimatise them to one another's smells.

You have to decide whether you want a long slow bonding method or a shorter one. Which are you going for do you think?

bite the bullet and go for the short one i think.
would it be ok to start bonding in their forever home as the cattery will be their house and i could sit inside to monitor them.
i don't want to start in one room get them use to each other and then move them into their forever home, i just thought it would make sense to start in their home and keep them there. what do you think, would this work.

bite the bullet and go for the short one i think.
would it be ok to start bonding in their forever home as the cattery will be their house and i could sit inside to monitor them.
i don't want to start in one room get them use to each other and then move them into their forever home, i just thought it would make sense to start in their home and keep them there. what do you think, would this work.

If neither bun has ever been in there, it sounds ideal. Especially as you can sit in there too.

Have you got a sleeping bag? :lol: Half- joking really. I usually stay with them the first night I've bonded them :shock:

The beauty of having them indoors is you can keep an eye on them for the first day/night just to ensure they are doing the right things. But, if you can monitor them outside then maybe that woulld be best. Once you have put them together, try not to separate. Good luck!

thank you everyone for all your good advice. i will let you know how things go.

I'm swapping hutches with mine at the moment. They have been in the same room together only once, on the second occasion Bella pulled at Alfie's fur (if you've seen my other thread on here about fur pulling you can see how he's been through a lot already bless him) so they haven't been together since and will stay separate until they are both neutered, Bella is being done in 2 weeks. Will dread trying them again though.

Back