• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spayed Bunny spraying urine

Larissa

Young Bun
Hello!
I posted a few months ago about my little Amelie and Hector, who I was desperately trying to rebond. I'm soo happy to say that after a week by a bunny sitter they are back together and officially rebonded! They now live free range in "the bunny room" (although they have a cage but it's always open) and they're very happy together, they eat and sleep together and take turns in grooming each other :love:

Amelie (spayed female) had a big problem just before we spayed her as she sprayed her urine EVERYWHERE - we had to repaint the room as all the walls were yellow :lol: I heard this is perfectly normal for a rabbit that isn't spayed so I wasn't too worried. We spayed her in January and it took her hormones a while to calm down, and now that shes living happily with Hector there shouldn't be a territory issue should there??

The thing is she still sprays her urine when shes in her cage (where the toilet is). At first I thought it was because when she was dong her business Hector would jump in the cage and she would jump out but carry on peeing. But after closer inspection she seems to do it even if he isnt there. She just kind of wags her tails and jumps and it sprays all over the cage. Do you think she's still being territorial over the cage? In all honesty it was "her" cage when they were seperated.. but we disinfected everything when they were away for a week at the bunny sitter - do you think I should switch the cage to Hectors old cage? Although I have seen them daily sitting in the cage together eating hay happily so it's not like she pushes him out the cage.

What I found weird was just now I was picking up some stray poos (outside the cage) and she came over to me, I stroked her and she sprayed her wee on my foot!!! This isn't normal for a spayed rabbit is it? Does anyone else have this problem?! I was also wondering if this behaviour could be because of a urinary tract infection or something??

Any advice on what I can do? I don't really want to have to repaint the room again :lol:
Thanks for reading!! :love:
Larissa

Oh dear! I am sorry about the spraying and the only thing that I can think of is that it's a habit she has always had. Not very helpful I'm afraid.

Watching this one as I have a spayed sprayer too :) Jasmine is a fairly highly strung lionhead and seems to do it when she gets giddy or is naughty...which is a lot :lol:

So glad it's not just my bunny then Bunslave!! Amelie can be a nervous little bun if I'm not there or its in a new place - the bunny sitter said in 10 years of bunny sitting she's never met a bunny like Amelie :lol: and she also has yellow walls now :oops:
Maybe she will take good example from Hector and stop the bad habit at some point?!?!
I can hope at least haha

:D You're lucky it's only yellow walls! Jazz likes spraying red urine so my walls and drawers are ...interesting. Poor Harvey her husbun sometimes gets it too :)

I did invest in a Pet remedy diffuser and spray bottle which helps a little. Thank goodness for white vinegar :wave:

Yeah little Hector sometimes gets caught in the spray too :lol:
Going to look into the pet remedy stuff! Just googled it and all the reviews are good, thanks for the tip :D

Back