• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Maisie is unwell

Maisie is indoors now, on vet bed which is good at absorbing the wee. I noticed that when she walks now, her back legs seem to tremble, with tension I think or effort. I am not sure but it worries me :(

Maisie is indoors now, on vet bed which is good at absorbing the wee. I noticed that when she walks now, her back legs seem to tremble, with tension I think or effort. I am not sure but it worries me :(

I'm so very sorry to hear how she's doing. She does sound unstable on her pins at the moment :cry:

I can't tell if it is related to pain or dizziness and just generally feeling unstable. She won't wall out in the open of her run. She hugs the edges and I suspect she is using them as a guide. I feel rotten about it. I feel so cruelly for putting her through this while investigations take place. We are due back tomorrow and should get blood results back as well so at least from there we might know what direction to take next.

Brief but sad update. Maisie has been pts :(

We saw our regular vet this morning and he saw other symptoms that the locum had missed which ruled out an ear infection (such as the absence of a smell), neurological symptoms like the trembling feet and also she could not control her eyes and vision. One eye was barely open, the other eyeball kept flickering, sliding to one side and then the other. She had no control over this. Also her bloods were back and the inflammatory markers were raised. Everything seemed neuro related and we got an emergency referral this afternoon to the D1ck for a scan which revealed a huge mass between her neck and base of the skull. Surgery was discussed but astonishingly they would have sent Maisie down to Cambridge for this. Unbelievably they do not perform this surgery at the D1ck. We would not have put her through an op anyway. But I am still shocked about that. I was not too impressed with them tbh and they did not pts Maisie either, they couldn't fit us in and yet my regular vet did see us at short notice to help Maisie to the bridge. Perhaps it was better that way because she knew him. But tbh I don't know how compis mentis she was anymore. She was a changed rabbit in recent days and no longer seemed to recognize us. We showed her mate, her body and he looked from a distance and then stamped his feet non stop, poor thing. He just knew :( Thank you everyone who posted on this thread. It was a big help and helped me to improve Maisie's care and ask the right questions.

We saw our regular vet this morning and he saw other symptoms that the locum had missed which ruled out an ear infection (such as the absence of a smell), neurological symptoms like the trembling feet and also she could not control her eyes and vision. One eye was barely open, the other eyeball kept flickering, sliding to one side and then the other. She had no control over this. Also her bloods were back and the inflammatory markers were raised. Everything seemed neuro related and we got an emergency referral this afternoon to the D1ck for a scan which revealed a huge mass between her neck and base of the skull. Surgery was discussed but astonishingly they would have sent Maisie down to Cambridge for this. Unbelievably they do not perform this surgery at the D1ck. We would not have put her through an op anyway. But I am still shocked about that. I was not too impressed with them tbh and they did not pts Maisie either, they couldn't fit us in and yet my regular vet did see us at short notice to help Maisie to the bridge. Perhaps it was better that way because she knew him. But tbh I don't know how compis mentis she was anymore. She was a changed rabbit in recent days and no longer seemed to recognize us. We showed her mate, her body and he looked from a distance and then stamped his feet non stop, poor thing. He just knew :( Thank you everyone who posted on this thread. It was a big help and helped me to improve Maisie's care and ask the right questions.

I am so sorry :cry: I dont think there was any other option but to let her go :cry:

RIP Maisie xx

Oh Fifibutton, I am so terribly sorry :cry::cry::cry:
Absolutely gutted for you all. :( Thinking of you and sending massive hugs your way.
Binky free, Maisie. xxxxxxx

Thanks ladies, I know in my heart it was probably best. There were so many gradual signs that it was more serious. I think I feel more sad about her having suffered for so long. She was only 4.5 years old, far too young to be getting ill like that. We lost 3 buns last year to tumours but we knew they were old age related. This one doesn't make sense to me :(

I'm so sorry to read this, but you did absolutely the right thing for her :cry:

Back