• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pulling out fur U/D not good news :-(

Babybella

Warren Scout
Just been watching Alfie and he has been tugging fur out off his shoulder and eating it. Is this normal behaviour?

Last edited:
I haven't heard of it.
Is he definitely eating it or could it be hes simply tugging it out and then trying to spit it out so looking like hes eating it?
I would have a look at the area hes tugging at to make sure he hasn't hurt it or theres not something on his shoulder thats irritating it.

He definitely ate it, I sat and watched him :-/ I shall get him out to have a look after. Apart from that his behaviour is normal. We've had him indoors overnight as he had an unusual poop last night, the kind associated with bloating or an infection but it may have been dried dandelion disagreeing with him as that was his only diet change yesterday and since then his poops have been fine and he's eating, drinking and active as normal.

That's a good idea keeping such a close eye on him:thumb:

If you have any more worries especially as his poo was abit unusual I would pop him to the vet just as an extra precaution.:)

Will do. I may just be being over protective, when I had a rabbit as a child we didn't have a computer to check the internet for things so feel like I'm on here checking every little thing now lol

I think its wise to be cautious where bunnies are concerned.Being prey animals they try to hide any illness they may have so being observant and careful is the best policy for us bunslaves:)

He definitely ate it, I sat and watched him :-/ I shall get him out to have a look after. Apart from that his behaviour is normal. We've had him indoors overnight as he had an unusual poop last night, the kind associated with bloating or an infection but it may have been dried dandelion disagreeing with him as that was his only diet change yesterday and since then his poops have been fine and he's eating, drinking and active as normal.

Is he eating lots of hay/fibre? Sometimes they 'barber' themselves when they need extra fibre.

Otherwise he could have an irritation on his shoulder. Has he had any injections of any sort recently?

Is he eating lots of hay/fibre? Sometimes they 'barber' themselves when they need extra fibre.

Otherwise he could have an irritation on his shoulder. Has he had any injections of any sort recently?

He eats lots of hay, is fed it twice daily and since he likes to pull it out of his hay rack and spread it around everywhere to eat when I cleaned the hutch yesterday I opted to cover the hutch with hay so he has a lot of extra. He had his first injections last week, the combined one.

He eats lots of hay, is fed it twice daily and since he likes to pull it out of his hay rack and spread it around everywhere to eat when I cleaned the hutch yesterday I opted to cover the hutch with hay so he has a lot of extra. He had his first injections last week, the combined one.
Looks as if it could be his injection as MightyMax wondered.Sometimes it causes a small skin reaction.It usually just goes away if that's the case.

Bunnies love rearranging their hay and love to have plenty to play with(and eat of course).My Milly loves making tunnels and "hay caves"as I call them!

Looks as if it could be his injection as MightyMax wondered.Sometimes it causes a small skin reaction.It usually just goes away if that's the case.

Bunnies love rearranging their hay and love to have plenty to play with(and eat of course).My Milly loves making tunnels and "hay caves"as I call them!

I'd never considered that so could well be the cause, I haven't spotted him doing it again since.
Mine made a little mound of it near the door, I think he was hoping to make it high enough to jump over the top when we lift the lid :lol:

I'd never considered that so could well be the cause, I haven't spotted him doing it again since.
Mine made a little mound of it near the door, I think he was hoping to make it high enough to jump over the top when we lift the lid :lol:

Yes, just keep a close eye on it, and if he worries at that place again ...

As Hoppetylop said, it should go away soon - within a week or two.

I think you were right about the injection causing an irritation. Fed him this morning and there's fur everywhere, he's pulled loads out and made himself bleed. So upsetting to see. Taking him to the vets this morning.

I think you were right about the injection causing an irritation. Fed him this morning and there's fur everywhere, he's pulled loads out and made himself bleed. So upsetting to see. Taking him to the vets this morning.

Yes, best nip it in the bud. I had a rabbit who constantly picked at an area just the same. I eventually stopped him doing it, but by trying alternative methods in the end as the vet was at a loss!

Good luck at the vets :thumb:

The vet gave him a painkilling injection and asked us to pop back with him tomorrow morning for another check up. She has taken a photo of the wound and is sending it to the manufacturers of the vaccination. She suggested we put him in a baby vest to stop him getting to his wound, she did suggest the collars at first round his neck but because he is biting and scratching it it wouldn't stop him. So I got him the tiniest baby vest I could find in the shop and it was still too big so have had to sew part of the neck to tighten it and then tie it on with a cut off piece of jumper.

So here he is looking super cute bless him. Thankfully he has his appetite back and is less clingy this evening.

11183451_10153240274870409_4275085206619376988_n.jpg

The vet gave him a painkilling injection and asked us to pop back with him tomorrow morning for another check up. She has taken a photo of the wound and is sending it to the manufacturers of the vaccination. She suggested we put him in a baby vest to stop him getting to his wound, she did suggest the collars at first round his neck but because he is biting and scratching it it wouldn't stop him. So I got him the tiniest baby vest I could find in the shop and it was still too big so have had to sew part of the neck to tighten it and then tie it on with a cut off piece of jumper.

So here he is looking super cute bless him. Thankfully he has his appetite back and is less clingy this evening.

11183451_10153240274870409_4275085206619376988_n.jpg

Yes he does look super cute!

I made a little vest for my bunny, and also used a couple of ayurvedic creams which eventually cleared it up completely. The vet was at a loss, and we even had the piece of skin cut away and biopsied ....

I hope he heals up well, and I'm glad he's got his appetite back!

Yes he does look super cute!

I made a little vest for my bunny, and also used a couple of ayurvedic creams which eventually cleared it up completely. The vet was at a loss, and we even had the piece of skin cut away and biopsied ....

I hope he heals up well, and I'm glad he's got his appetite back!

Awww bless, I'm glad it healed up well, must be more worrying when the vet is at a loss. Thank you, me too, he will be getting plenty of fuss after :D

He really does look so cute in his vest.I had to do this for my bun Harry last year.He was a big lad though so no tucks were needed.

Hope it solves the problem.x

Back