• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pinkish dewlap?

TheTigerThief

Warren Scout
I noticed Cleo, my predominately white rabbit, seems to have a pinkish tinge to her dewlap. She isn't in any distress, I was just outside with her and she was eating and drinking as normal, and being her inquisitive little self. What could've caused a pink dewlap? Do I need to take her to the vet, or just keep an eye on her for the time being? I checked her over and couldn't see anything obviously wrong but we all know how good buns are at hiding illness/injury. It also just occurred to me that we've had a fair bit of rain over the past few days, so is it possible the red colouring in one of her toys ran a little and stained her fur? Is there anything I can do about it if this is the case?

I noticed Cleo, my predominately white rabbit, seems to have a pinkish tinge to her dewlap. She isn't in any distress, I was just outside with her and she was eating and drinking as normal, and being her inquisitive little self. What could've caused a pink dewlap? Do I need to take her to the vet, or just keep an eye on her for the time being? I checked her over and couldn't see anything obviously wrong but we all know how good buns are at hiding illness/injury. It also just occurred to me that we've had a fair bit of rain over the past few days, so is it possible the red colouring in one of her toys ran a little and stained her fur? Is there anything I can do about it if this is the case?

It really is impossible to comment on what it may be without being able to see it. It could be stained fur, it could be very inflamed red skin that is visible through white fur. Inflamed skin could indicate a bacterial and/or fungal infection, especially in the dewlap area. So it could be 'nothing to worry about' or it could be something needing Veterinary treatment. To establish which it is I'd get the Vet to take a look :)

It really is impossible to comment on what it may be without being able to see it. It could be stained fur, it could be very inflamed red skin that is visible through white fur. Inflamed skin could indicate a bacterial and/or fungal infection, especially in the dewlap area. So it could be 'nothing to worry about' or it could be something needing Veterinary treatment. To establish which it is I'd get the Vet to take a look :)

Thankyou, I'll give the vet a call.

If she has a toy that has colouring that could feasibly transfer to her, then that sounds likely. It could also be a bit of (diluted) blood, maybe from a claw or something caught?

If you can part the fur enough to look at the dewlap skin you may get a better impression as to whether that skin is angry and inflamed, and therefore imparting a pinkish tinge - though I think this is an unlikely option.

Try getting the colour out if she will let you, hopefully it's non toxic colouring?

If she has a toy that has colouring that could feasibly transfer to her, then that sounds likely. It could also be a bit of (diluted) blood, maybe from a claw or something caught?

If you can part the fur enough to look at the dewlap skin you may get a better impression as to whether that skin is angry and inflamed, and therefore imparting a pinkish tinge - though I think this is an unlikely option.

Try getting the colour out if she will let you, hopefully it's non toxic colouring?

The toy it would be from is one of these;

71CxbO1mTwL._SL1500_.jpg

If it is a stain from the toy, how would I go about getting it out? I will try again to have another look at the skin, I tried before but she wouldn't stay still enough.

Last edited:
The toy it would be from is one of these;

71CxbO1mTwL._SL1500_.jpg

If it is a stain from the toy, how would I go about getting it out? I will try again to have another look at the skin, I tried before but she wouldn't stay still enough.

Could you rub a damp flannel against the red and see if it comes off pink the same as on your rabbit?

Could you rub a damp flannel against the red and see if it comes off pink the same as on your rabbit?

I'm pretty sure it was just the dye. Cleo has been herself and done nothing out of the ordinary, and her dewlap has gone back to snowy white. I checked her over again just in case, but I saw nothing so I guess I have to conclude it was the colouring from the toy. I will be keeping an eye on her for a while, but she seems fine so I think that was all it was.

I'm pretty sure it was just the dye. Cleo has been herself and done nothing out of the ordinary, and her dewlap has gone back to snowy white. I checked her over again just in case, but I saw nothing so I guess I have to conclude it was the colouring from the toy. I will be keeping an eye on her for a while, but she seems fine so I think that was all it was.

I hope the colourings on the toys are non toxic - presumably they are made for children i.e. safe?

Glad all seems to e OK :thumb:

I once thought my REW Stu had cut his face somewhere as he was quite pink :shock: then found what was left of the red salt lick squished in his hay, when I was looking for what would have caught him in his hutch :roll:

I hope the colourings on the toys are non toxic - presumably they are made for children i.e. safe?

Glad all seems to e OK :thumb:
Those toys are for rabbits, I bought one for mine but happened to have a damp hand when handling it & the dye came off - i didn't give it to them as I was worried. You would hope that toys for animals are using non toxic dye but you just never know & I'm a worrier :eek:

Those toys are for rabbits, I bought one for mine but happened to have a damp hand when handling it & the dye came off - i didn't give it to them as I was worried. You would hope that toys for animals are using non toxic dye but you just never know & I'm a worrier :eek:

Why would rabbits need coloured toys anyway? There is a school of thought that they are colour blind :lol:

I reckon if it's made in China, and most things are, who knows what's in that dye? I would be a worrier too :wave:

Why would rabbits need coloured toys anyway? There is a school of thought that they are colour blind [emoji38]

I reckon if it's made in China, and most things are, who knows what's in that dye? I would be a worrier too :wave:
Well yes that the conclusion I came too as well. Now its only natural woods here :)

Back