• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppy going downhill U/D RIP Poppy x

prettylupin

Wise Old Thumper
Sudden onset ear infection, under treatment, was showing improvement and then woke up this morning to a wobbly bunny :-( She's just had a run on the lawn, hops fine then rolls. Can see a slight tilt starting. Totally gutted. Thought this morning it might be concurrent ec and hind limb weakness but it now appears to be vestibular. Poor old Pops. Feel sick. Off to vets in half an hr. Sorry to post after being off the forum for ages just could do with a bit of moral support. Thanks x

Last edited:
Sudden onset ear infection, under treatment, was showing improvement and then woke up this morning to a wobbly bunny :-( She's just had a run on the lawn, hops fine then rolls. Can see a slight tilt starting. Totally gutted. Thought this morning it might be concurrent ec and hind limb weakness but it now appears to be vestibular. Poor old Pops. Feel sick. Off to vets in half an hr. Sorry to post after being off the forum for ages just could do with a bit of moral support. Thanks x

Only just seen your PMs and I have replied. Sending millions of vibes for Poppy xx

I'm very sorry to see this and hope the vet is able to help Poppy.

From the photos I have seen Poppy looks so much like our Chloe and nursecroft's Tinkerbell.

Poppy is beautiful; she looks like she could be Elphie & Galinda's sister! Wishing you both well and hoping for good news. x

Lots and lots of vibes. I hope you have a good vet - as you know, treatment can take a long time xx

Oh poor Poppy :( Many many healing vibes and thoughts coming your way with all due speed. ((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))) xxxx

Thank you all for your well wishes. Poppy is still with us but we may well be making a decision when we see our regular vet tomorrow. :cry: I had a thorough consult with the vet on duty yesterday who happens to be one of the other practice directors just not from our branch and he was brilliant. We weighed up a lot of things specific to Poppy and what we are trying to achieve here and decided on a steroid injection as a what have we got to lose treatment. The hope would be that we could halt the acute neurological inflammation and buy ourselves a couple more days to let the antibiotics work because the c+s testing indicated good sensitivity to the baytril and she was improving in herself since she began the antibiotic, it was slow but steady progress. It all fell apart when I missed giving her one dose the other morning, the neurological involvement started after this. I shall probably never forgive myself for this :cry:. Should there be some improvement in her vestibular symptoms we can review the antibiotic choice again tomorrow and go off license if need be but she is just getting back on track post ileus/stasis from the onset of infection, her gut has never been very resilient and the last thing we want is to end up with her dysbiotic, dehydrated and feeling rubbish if we rush into stronger antibiotics. She is certainly no worse today, rolling less I think but is still very wobbly. She is not distressed at the moment but it would appear that her cataracts have deteriorated quite rapidly since this infection began and with her hearing probably impaired by the infection she has become very nervous and cautious.

Her best chance of recovery is obviously surgery but that isn't an option for us, she is 8yrs old and a stressy girl who does not tolerate excessive handling at all. It would not be in her best interests to put her through it. He said that sometimes you get lucky and the infection will clear from the bulla on antibiotics alone but if not, we are looking to stabilise her condition, reduce any permanent nerve damage and keep her comfortable for the rest of her life as long as that may be provided she is not distressed by her limitations. I am backwards and forwards in my head, and with my husband, as to when this point is reached. She is self feeding with encouragement and has a good fecal output but has become very recluse and unwilling to move around, and not surprisingly really, she must feel pretty strange. But she is pain free and not distressed at the moment as she is still upright and able to hop in to her litter tray bless her and then back to her willow den. We also bring her into the garden and she has a little hop (the odd roll) and then lies down and enjoys the fresh air.

I am so sad that it has come to this after such a relatively healthy and happy long life.

We are taking each day at a time at the moment. Poor old Pops, we all love her so very much :cry: x

Thank you all for your well wishes. Poppy is still with us but we may well be making a decision when we see our regular vet tomorrow. :cry: I had a thorough consult with the vet on duty yesterday who happens to be one of the other practice directors just not from our branch and he was brilliant. We weighed up a lot of things specific to Poppy and what we are trying to achieve here and decided on a steroid injection as a what have we got to lose treatment. The hope would be that we could halt the acute neurological inflammation and buy ourselves a couple more days to let the antibiotics work because the c+s testing indicated good sensitivity to the baytril and she was improving in herself since she began the antibiotic, it was slow but steady progress. It all fell apart when I missed giving her one dose the other morning, the neurological involvement started after this. I shall probably never forgive myself for this :cry:. Should there be some improvement in her vestibular symptoms we can review the antibiotic choice again tomorrow and go off license if need be but she is just getting back on track post ileus/stasis from the onset of infection, her gut has never been very resilient and the last thing we want is to end up with her dysbiotic, dehydrated and feeling rubbish if we rush into stronger antibiotics. She is certainly no worse today, rolling less I think but is still very wobbly. She is not distressed at the moment but it would appear that her cataracts have deteriorated quite rapidly since this infection began and with her hearing probably impaired by the infection she has become very nervous and cautious.

Her best chance of recovery is obviously surgery but that isn't an option for us, she is 8yrs old and a stressy girl who does not tolerate excessive handling at all. It would not be in her best interests to put her through it. He said that sometimes you get lucky and the infection will clear from the bulla on antibiotics alone but if not, we are looking to stabilise her condition, reduce any permanent nerve damage and keep her comfortable for the rest of her life as long as that may be provided she is not distressed by her limitations. I am backwards and forwards in my head, and with my husband, as to when this point is reached. She is self feeding with encouragement and has a good fecal output but has become very recluse and unwilling to move around, and not surprisingly really, she must feel pretty strange. But she is pain free and not distressed at the moment as she is still upright and able to hop in to her litter tray bless her and then back to her willow den. We also bring her into the garden and she has a little hop (the odd roll) and then lies down and enjoys the fresh air.

I am so sad that it has come to this after such a relatively healthy and happy long life.

We are taking each day at a time at the moment. Poor old Pops, we all love her so very much :cry: x

Poor little Pops :cry: I know that you will do whatever is in her best interests. As I said in my reply to your last PM, my Patrick could not cope with the ongoing trauma of vestibular disease and I had to let him go. But I have had other Rabbits who have responded to aggressive abx therapy. I do hope that Poppy can start to improve, but I know that she is in expert hands and you wont push her on if it is just too much for her. I hope the boys are not too distressed by the situation. I guess S must be old enough to understand now.

I will be thinking of all of you xx

Sending loads of good wishes for you and Poppy. It sounds like you have an excellent vet on board.

I hope all works out for you xx

Back