• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Millie and Archie - 4th attempt!

Moonstone

Warren Scout

This is Millie and Archie in the bonding pen in the living room. I've kept the pen small and added lots of things to reduce chasing and as you can see they are finally making progress. This pic was taken on day 5 of being together full time.

On day 7 we had a setback. I decided to increase the size of the pen but I did it wrongly. I added my shortest Bunny Runaround tunnel and a mini pen and Archie decided that the new space was his territory and she wasn't allowed in it, of course she went in it anyway. I think it was a bad mistake to add another 'room' instead of increasing the size of what they had plus I think the configuration reminded Archie of where he lived when he first lived with me.

So I went back to just the square pen and things are slowly improving again. Haven't seen any nipping or fur pulling but he is driving her a bit crazy early in the mornings with hopping after her trying to mount her (he's the mini lop; she is the pretty white one) and I'm concerned she may turn on him but not sure how concerned to be. What's really worrying me is that I'm going on holiday in 2 weeks time, they will be looked after by a friend (during the weekend) and our weekday lodger during the week. They know the lodger well but don't know the friend yet (introducing them to him this week).

My goal is put them outside in the neutralised bunny runaround system that Millie lived in last year, starting with just having access to the hutch, a very short pipe and one pen and then building up. How will I know when they're ready to go outside? Or should I just keep them in until after the holiday? Scared of making the wrong decision again and losing the good progress we've made. Many thanks.

Some rabbits have to reestablish their hierarchy when placed in new territory - this may be what happened when you fitted the tunnel etc. Things would probably have calmed down after a couple of minutes if you had persevered. It would perhaps be better if they were able to settle in their outside area before you go away as they might get a bit fed up in the pen. I think they would feel happier outside as long as they are not allowed to free range and they are safe from predators. It's very difficult to know the best thing to do, really only you can decide as you can read the bunnies better.

Thank you, Tonibun. I think they could get pretty fed up in the pen too, especially Archie. They are safe from predators outside and it's much more spacious. I did let them have 12 hours with the pen extension but gave up because Archie had claimed it as his. My plan is that tomorrow morning I will extend the pen again but this time just by adding two more panels.

I'm concerned that Millie has been doing small poos which would normally mean she's stressed, but her coat feels normal and she's eating well. I've removed the cardboard flooring as she was eating it and it could have been that. I probably just need to keep an eye on her.

Omg!!!

He's grooming her! I can't tell you how happy that makes me! :love:

They noticed the camera then but he carried on!

It's been about six months of trying to bond these two. She's groomed him on and off (lately more off) but he's just chased her. Her previous friend never groomed her either and I feared she'd always be the groomer and never the groomed. But look at him! I love him so much!

Aww, thanks, Tonibun. He's gone back to chasing her but it wouldn't be bonding without fits and starts :)

Back