• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit is getting eye removed tomorrow

The only way I could get one of my buns to take panacur was to put it between 2 malted shreddies - maybe not ideal but it worked. Medicating buns can be really stressful. Good luck :D

Thank you for the tip.. she actually isn't keen on banana, one of her medications is banana flavoured, complete nightmare! Haha ive read tips on google about wrapping in towel.. so i may try that.. my boyfriends going to help me practice later.. im on my own almost a week and dreading it.

Thank you for the tip.. she actually isn't keen on banana, one of her medications is banana flavoured, complete nightmare! Haha ive read tips on google about wrapping in towel.. so i may try that.. my boyfriends going to help me practice later.. im on my own almost a week and dreading it.

:lol: Sorry about that! There are other yummy veggie flavours in that range though :D

If you wrap her in a towel, make sure to do it firmly enough (without cutting off her circulation) as they simply wriggle out of it otherwise.

Good luck :thumb:

:lol: Sorry about that! There are other yummy veggie flavours in that range though :D

If you wrap her in a towel, make sure to do it firmly enough (without cutting off her circulation) as they simply wriggle out of it otherwise.

Good luck :thumb:

Thank you :) i will try, dreading it! Haha she's so so well today though. I am so pleased. She's extremely lively ,active, bouncy and brighter. Her normal self and eating and drinking away like a champion! so proud of her :)

Thank you :) i will try, dreading it! Haha she's so so well today though. I am so pleased. She's extremely lively ,active, bouncy and brighter. Her normal self and eating and drinking away like a champion! so proud of her :)

You're welcome :thumb:

My vet showed me how to wrap a rabbit. They end up looking like baby Jesus! Good luck with the meds - she sounds like a real live wire today :D

Wrapping them up in a towel worked well for my bun too :) Does she like any other fruits? I've dipped the end of the syringe into organic fruit juice such as apple so he thought he was having a treat which made the whole process a lot easier. Could you also try putting the meds into a leaf like spinach or basil? Although it did take longer than syringing it in, i put a couple of drops of panacur into a leaf of spinach and folded the leaf over to stop it escaping if that makes sense? Not ideal again, but i found it stressed out my bun less, and stopped him spitting it out.

This was from when i was struggling to syringe in food and meds to my bun, and some lovely people on here included pictures which you might find helpful; i certainly did :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?436473-Advice-on-syringe-feeding

Last edited:
like Mighty Max said it's so much easier if you can put the meds on some food she likes. What about apple does she like that?

Thank you so much for the tips! Hopefully one of these will work tomorrow :) going to get some spinach leaves, never tried her with apple before.. but I have apple juice, might be worth dipping in that to see if that helps and the images look helpful too. She really is a live wire today, its like the operation never happened, shes eating more then Mindy now, im so proud of her :)

If her meds are banana flavoured septrin ask if you can have the aniseed flavour one instead. Its half the dosage and rabbits tend to prefer it

The towel method works an absolute treat. Got her meds into her no problem this morning. Felt cruel but at least she looked cute.. so pleased I have found a method that works..
11209759_1429600690678607_4821494085349053341_n.jpg

I got all 4 medications into her. So so pleased. She was actually calmer than usual once i wrapped her in the towel, maybe the security ended up being a comfort, im not sure but her breathing calmed. She was so so stressed before I wrapped her up. She's still doing amazing, eating and drinking away so fingers crossed the vet sees an improvement with her weight Wednesday. She's also very bright and happy. My only concern is her bum seems to be getting dirty, no loose poos or anything in her hutch, but she doesn't seem to be grooming herself.. any ideas why? She's definitely not acting poorly. she's hopping around, chasing her mummy, being her normal happy self.. and has no loss of movement anywhere.

I'm so happy for you that you found a solution :) She sure sounds a fighter, amazing how resilient some buns can be x

The towel method works an absolute treat. Got her meds into her no problem this morning. Felt cruel but at least she looked cute.. so pleased I have found a method that works..
11209759_1429600690678607_4821494085349053341_n.jpg

I got all 4 medications into her. So so pleased. She was actually calmer than usual once i wrapped her in the towel, maybe the security ended up being a comfort, im not sure but her breathing calmed. She was so so stressed before I wrapped her up. She's still doing amazing, eating and drinking away so fingers crossed the vet sees an improvement with her weight Wednesday. She's also very bright and happy. My only concern is her bum seems to be getting dirty, no loose poos or anything in her hutch, but she doesn't seem to be grooming herself.. any ideas why? She's definitely not acting poorly. she's hopping around, chasing her mummy, being her normal happy self.. and has no loss of movement anywhere.

You're doing fantastically well! And yes, she does look super cute :love:

Regarding the messy bum, I would just clean her up for the moment. She's on medications which may be upsetting her tummy slightly and causing her not to be as clean as usual. In addition, she may be finding her balance now that she's only got one eye, and feeling a bit uncomfortable right now. If it gets worse or goes on for another day or so, give your vet's surgery a ring and speak to one of the nurses.

Last edited:
Thank you guys :) shes already booked into vets for Wednesday, I can't get her in any earlier as I have to work and took time off for her already unfortunately but she's happy in herself so going to try trust she's okay and as suggested due to medication upsetting her or loss of balance. Thank you :)

Back