• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fiver again - U/D post #107 - May 5 - doing much better

Okay, well I just got him to eat a small amount of hay, but only by tickling his mouth with it repeatedly till he took it from me, and even then I had to keep tickling him or he seemed to fade off and forget he had something in his mouth.
He still seems to be shifting about and can't get comfy on that left side. Not seeing him move more than a few inches side to side, so until he tries to get in his litterbox I don't know if he's having more trouble with motility.
Keeping a close eye on him overnight and definitely calling the vet in the morning. I think we need to withdraw the abx in case he is sensitive for at lest 24 hours and see what happens. At the very least his tummy is not tolerating it.

ETA: Just saw your post Jane, yes he did start it after the seizure (two days later) but it was after he started the baytril that we saw the paralysis. And now it's like his whole left side is going. :(
Mimzy had something similar with TMS, he only had two doses and stopped eating and began to have a redness to his mucous membranes. It was very frightening. :(
I know baytril is supposed to be the best tolerated abx, but knowing my luck, I'll have the one bunny who can't handle it. :roll:
He only had his latest dose at 10:30 PM and he really doesn't seem too well atm. :(

Okay, well I just got him to eat a small amount of hay, but only by tickling his mouth with it repeatedly till he took it from me, and even then I had to keep tickling him or he seemed to fade off and forget he had something in his mouth.
He still seems to be shifting about and can't get comfy on that left side. Not seeing him move more than a few inches side to side, so until he tries to get in his litterbox I don't know if he's having more trouble with motility.
Keeping a close eye on him overnight and definitely calling the vet in the morning. I think we need to withdraw the abx in case he is sensitive for at lest 24 hours and see what happens. At the very least his tummy is not tolerating it.

ETA: Just saw your post Jane, yes he did start it after the seizure (two days later) but it was after he started the baytril that we saw the paralysis. And now it's like his whole left side is going. :(
Mimzy had something similar with TMS, he only had two doses and stopped eating and began to have a redness to his mucous membranes. It was very frightening. :(
I know baytril is supposed to be the best tolerated abx, but knowing my luck, I'll have the one bunny who can't handle it. :roll:
He only had his latest dose at 10:30 PM and he really doesn't seem too well atm. :(

Oh so sorry! I hope he picks up and you can keep going until you can see a vet. I think he needs a thorough exam as soon as you can, and it would put your mind at rest too.

Thinking of you x

I guess the best thing to do will be to get onto the Vet when they open. What time is it over there now ?

The only adverse reaction to Baytril I have encountered is a local skin reaction when given by subcutaneous injection.

He hasn't been treated for mites recently has he ?

Thank you Amanda xx
Yeah, it's been a tough couple of years. Between all that's going on with my daughter, my OH's chronic health conditions, still trying to get the family out of Alaska and watching most of my animals reach an age where they're starting to have regular health problems...it's getting on top of me. :(
I appreciate the vibes very much. Thank you. :) xxxx

Thinking of you. I hope the move isn't too far away. I don't know much about Alaska but it must feel isolated sometimes, especially with winter and long journeys to the vets. I really hope everything improves for you and your family. Xxx

Just woke back up at 7:20 a.m. Looks like he hasn't moved/eaten/drank at all since 3 and there's only three poos where he's been sat. I'm now in full on panic mode.
Vets open in about 40 mins or so. My OH will be livid when he finds we have to take him in again but something is way wrong. And of course there's no real rabbit savvy vet on.
I feel like I'm going to lose him. Please say prayers for my boy. :cry::cry::cry:

Wait...I just got him some lettuce and he took that down quickly now he's nibbling some hay and there's a teensy pile of about 14 pips of poo where he hopped away to when I petted him. Maybe there's hope...
Gut slowdown/shutdown from abx? That's the only thing I can think of really. He was fine till we gave him this stuff, barring the seizure.

ETA: Just brought him a little more green leaf lettuce and a bite of kale and he's wolfing it down. His stance is a bit balled up when he's sitting but he's responsive and looks like he wants some more. He's not really used to this much veg, and will likely have some mushy cecals as a result but I should give him more as long as he'll eat it, yes?

Last edited:
I am so sorry this is happening to you and Fiver:cry: - massive prayers and vibes for the little man xxx

Wait...I just got him some lettuce and he took that down quickly now he's nibbling some hay and there's a teensy pile of about 14 pips of poo where he hopped away to when I petted him. Maybe there's hope...
Gut slowdown/shutdown from abx? That's the only thing I can think of really. He was fine till we gave him this stuff, barring the seizure.

ETA: Just brought him a little more green leaf lettuce and a bite of kale and he's wolfing it down. His stance is a bit balled up when he's sitting but he's responsive and looks like he wants some more. He's not really used to this much veg, and will likely have some mushy cecals as a result but I should give him more as long as he'll eat it, yes?

I would try to get him into the Vets today. It may be that he would benefit from some fluid therapy.

Thanks Jane, I had just typed a PM out to you. I'm so worried about him, although he seems pretty bright at the moment, and it's only been four hours since he ate or drank but I know that's likely to continue till something is done. :(
It's okay to continue feeding the greens even if he's not used to this amount, right? It'll result in a messy botty but at this point I don't feel confident in administering sub q's and the bag I have here is at least 6 months old I think. If I can get him to take a bit of water or peppermint tea by mouth I'll do that till I can get him in.

He definitely wants the lettuce, each time I come back with more he is up and interested and lively and takes it straight away...this is good.

Just spoke with the receptionist...vet isn't in till about 8:30 and she's seeing a patient right away so I'm going to have to support him till I can either take him in or can get him to eat/drink more. (I currently do not have an available vehicle here to drive him myself and am rather too shaky to attempt it. Must contact OH.)
My poor wee bub...he is having a time of it and of course I am a sleepless wreck. :roll:

Okay...ETA again...just talked to the vet who saw him yesterday. We're stopping the baytril for now and she says anytime I want to bring him in is fine because it's a slow clinic day. She'll irrigate him and reassess his pain relief, etc. So now it's just telling the OH I need to go in... (need vibes for this as he's already cranky about having to take him in twice this week. :roll: )

Just spoke with the receptionist...vet isn't in till about 8:30 and she's seeing a patient right away so I'm going to have to support him till I can either take him in or can get him to eat/drink more. (I currently do not have an available vehicle here to drive him myself and am rather too shaky to attempt it. Must contact OH.)
My poor wee bub...he is having a time of it and of course I am a sleepless wreck. :roll:

Okay...ETA again...just talked to the vet who saw him yesterday. We're stopping the baytril for now and she says anytime I want to bring him in is fine because it's a slow clinic day. She'll irrigate him and reassess his pain relief, etc. So now it's just telling the OH I need to go in... (need vibes for this as he's already cranky about having to take him in twice this week. :roll: )

Good luck squaring this up with your OH. I can understand the issues and I hope he is sympathetic. Poor wee boy (Fiver, not your OH).

I guess by irrigate him you mean give him fluids? If so, it's an excellent idea :thumb:

Lots of good wishes coming your way xx

Thanks MM :)
Yeah, OH is a hard sell on the pets these days. He's had to put up with numerous ones over the years and he is in poor health himself, so when it comes to needing a chauffeur (30 miles each way is a long haul for me as well) I can get a spiky response.
The vet did ask me if I had Critical Care here, which I do. May try to syringe some in but honestly he was interested in the greens so he is getting something in and I don't want to force feed him.
I got a feel of his abdomen, at least it is not turgid, but I wouldn't say it's completely empty. A bit doughy perhaps and he is hopping mad that I'm trying to feel it as usual. That gets him moving about but I don't want to stress that forelimb in case it is something that will heal given time and rest.
Just cleaned out his litter pan and there is a bit of wee in there so sometime after midnight last night he did pee. There were a few fecal pips in there as well.

Still eating greens and now has just taken an Oxbow Digestive treat off me and is happily munching away. That's a hard "cookie" so he's not averse to eating something more solid than lettuce or kale.
I would guess he doesn't feel as much need to drink if he's getting veggies as I'm feeding them very wet.

Awww...it's so sad watching him wash his face with only one paw. :(

Last edited:
Still eating greens and now has just taken an Oxbow Digestive treat off me and is happily munching away. That's a hard "cookie" so he's not averse to eating something more solid than lettuce or kale.
I would guess he doesn't feel as much need to drink if he's getting veggies as I'm feeding them very wet.

Awww...it's so sad watching him wash his face with only one paw. :(

:love: Yes I can understand exactly how you feel. He's a good 'un that's for sure :thumb:

I hope things take a turn for the better, on all fronts, for you and Fiver xx

He is now stretched out on my bed and looks as if he's off for a snooze. No tummy pressing, no obvious distress, unless I disturb him of course and then he gets a bit annoyed with me. :roll:
Maybe I overreacted? He seems well enough in himself at the moment but I'll be happier when there is some decent output. No more hunching his shoulders though so that's good. And I keep waving greens under his nose every so often and even if he doesn't take it right away, when I leave the room and return it is gone. :)

We're stopping the baytril for now. I am certain this has upset his tummy and that's why he stopped eating. Odd as neither Pip nor Mimzy has a problem with this drug, in fact for Mimz it improves his digestion! Fiver very rarely has had need for abx in his life, although he has had a few antifungals. Those he tolerates fairly well, but Mimzy does not.
The vet who prescribed it did say they had recently gotten a new manufacturer and that the medicine was fruit flavoured, but when I smelled it I couldn't detect any such fragrance. It's a white creamy liquid, so I think it's the right drug. Maybe there is an additive that doesn't agree with Fiver's tummy? :?

He is now stretched out on my bed and looks as if he's off for a snooze. No tummy pressing, no obvious distress, unless I disturb him of course and then he gets a bit annoyed with me. :roll:
Maybe I overreacted? He seems well enough in himself at the moment but I'll be happier when there is some decent output. No more hunching his shoulders though so that's good. And I keep waving greens under his nose every so often and even if he doesn't take it right away, when I leave the room and return it is gone. :)

We're stopping the baytril for now. I am certain this has upset his tummy and that's why he stopped eating. Odd as neither Pip nor Mimzy has a problem with this drug, in fact for Mimz it improves his digestion! Fiver very rarely has had need for abx in his life, although he has had a few antifungals. Those he tolerates fairly well, but Mimzy does not.
The vet who prescribed it did say they had recently gotten a new manufacturer and that the medicine was fruit flavoured, but when I smelled it I couldn't detect any such fragrance. It's a white creamy liquid, so I think it's the right drug. Maybe there is an additive that doesn't agree with Fiver's tummy? :?

Often it can be an additive that causes problems with drug reactions rather than the actual active ingredient. I only use injectable Baytril so I am not up to speed as to whether we now have a Fruit Flavoured oral preparation. I wont repeat here everything I have just said in my reply to your last PM. !!

Lots more vibes being sent for Fiver xx

Thank you Jane :)
This is something that has caused me a deal of grief also, the additives/off continent manufacturers of common drugs. I have taken anti-anxiety meds for ten years now and if I don't get a certain brand (and it's a generic) it is completely ineffective and the only difference is the additives!

Really, when it comes to medicine, constancy is key. And in this day and age it is becoming quite the commodity and increasingly hard to find. :(

Thank you so much for the vibes. My wee lad is all stretched out and just munched some more greens. May be jumping the gun here, but I think he'll be doing much better by this afternoon. :) xxxx

Back