• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

back to the vets

Rita

Warren Scout
Toffee had to go back to the vets for his final check.
the wound is healing nicely.
i asked the lady vet when i could put him back with the female who is still entire.
she said i could put him back with the girl next week, i am surprised as i thought the sperm could still be alive after 3 weeks.
do you think it will be ok for him to go back with the girl.

i asked the lady vet when i could put him back with the female who is still entire.
she said i could put him back with the girl next week, i am surprised as i thought the sperm could still be alive after 3 weeks.

He could remain fertile for up to 4 weeks (though 3 is probably more realistic).

It's really not worth risking a pregnancy for the sake of waiting a couple more weeks ......

So glad to hear Toffee is doing well :D

thank you mightymax, i will wait a little longer.
we have to make the cattery ready for the bunnies, i want to put another shelf in for them and add a ladder.
they will have lots of space, i can't wait for them to be back together, i will have to do it slowly as they have been separated for over a month now, although they do go out in the run together with a partition so they do see each other every day. i hope they will bond easily. :)

I had a Buck who impregnated 3 Does more than 5 weeks after he was castrated !! That resulted in an additional 15 Rabbits :shock: So from then on (it was in nineteen ninety eight) I would always advise that a castrated Buck is kept away from an Entire Doe for 6 weeks.

thank you mightymax, i will wait a little longer.
we have to make the cattery ready for the bunnies, i want to put another shelf in for them and add a ladder.
they will have lots of space, i can't wait for them to be back together, i will have to do it slowly as they have been separated for over a month now, although they do go out in the run together with a partition so they do see each other every day. i hope they will bond easily. :)

You're welcome Rita :D

It sounds like they are going to have a ball when it's all done and dusted!

I have found the male/female bond to be very easy. Not everyone's experience I know, but of the many I have done for myself and others, none have failed!

Back