• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fiver just had a seizure

I hope Fiver is doing well and you can get him back to normal soon, sending loads of vibes xxx

Sorry to take so long to update everyone. And thank you for all the wonderful vibes. :love:
Okay...long story so pour a cuppa. ;)
First of all, yes the doctor believes Fiver had a seizure. :( He thinks he's doing really well though and his physical condition is good. Nothing broken, no enlarged organs. Fiver does not have nystagmus per se, but will track movement side to side when carried, so not entirely off the mark there. He may have some balance issues that the vet believes could be a middle/inner ear infection so he prescribed a 14 day course of baytril (yeah, I know, not the best one but he's taking a broad swipe at whatever is plaguing Fiver until we can do more diagnostics which I think is wise for now.)
On the 4th, we're going to have him anesthetized and radiographs and blood will be taken and analyzed for a cause to the seizure and balance problem. There is the remote possibility that overgrown tooth roots could be the issue, but the vet also thinks he is a pasturella bunny. At the same time he'll have his teeth burred (he last had them done in August 2014) because although there's no glaring points he does have some wavy structure to his molars that is probably causing him some discomfort although he is eating and eliminating well. Like Mimzy, sometimes even smallish spurs give him grief and I can't see authorizing the GA if we aren't doing something more than taking bloods and pictures.

The last thing that kind of had my jaw on the floor was something that I think I heard years ago by a different vet....the doctor we saw today thinks Fiver may actually be.....

... a girl! :shock:

Now years ago when I first got him I was told that he was likely neutered too young, but the vet today said even if that was so you could still feel the remnant of the scrotal sack. I don't know if he ever managed to find it, but he said we may as well keep calling him a boy...but I think he believes Fiver is female. :shock:

I've looked at all my bunnies' "bits" before (have to when I clean anal glands and stuff, I always make sure there is no disease or discomfort in these areas) and I admit that Mimzy is a bit better *ahem* endowed than Fiver. But I don't feel what I am seeing looks like Pip's either. So I am a bit unsure in any case.

Has anyone ever encountered 'immature bits' on a male bunny if it is neutered very young? Or should I have the vet do an ultrasound to see if the inner structure is concurrent with his diagnosis? Either way, Fiver has a two dot tattoo in his right ear that says he's been altered...so there shouldn't be any chance of there being an intact "anything" still inside him, could there?
He was sold/adopted as altered. I would have to have words with someone at the establishment I adopted him from if I found out he was not. And I would not be a happy bunny. :(

Anyway...all in all he did really well and I'm a little happier with this particular vet than I was before. I found out he once did spay and neuter for a Southern California rabbit rescue that I am familiar with, so that makes me feel more at ease with his care of Fiver. :)

Again, thank you everyone for your vibes and please keep them coming if there's any spare, we're not completely out of the woods yet. Although I am very glad to hear that the vet does NOT think Fiver has head tilt. :D

I really hope that all the diagnostics go OK for Fiver. Hopefully they will shed some light on what may be going on. At least he seems to be doing OK again at the moment.

Re Fiver's gender, could the vet not tell by retracting the prepuce ? If Fiver had any retained gonads I would think he would display some degree of hormonal behaviour. If Fiver is a Doe and still has a uterus/ovaries then that too would probably mean hormonal behaviour would be evident.

Unless he were to be hermaphrodite in which case he/she would have a bit of both male and female sex organs neither of which are usually functioning

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/hermaphrodite.pdf

Very strange :?

I really hope that all the diagnostics go OK for Fiver. Hopefully they will shed some light on what may be going on. At least he seems to be doing OK again at the moment.

Re Fiver's gender, could the vet not tell by retracting the prepuce ? If Fiver had any retained gonads I would think he would display some degree of hormonal behaviour. If Fiver is a Doe and still has a uterus/ovaries then that too would probably mean hormonal behaviour would be evident.

Unless he were to be hermaphrodite in which case he/she would have a bit of both male and female sex organs neither of which are usually functioning

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/hermaphrodite.pdf

Very strange :?

Aha! See now that's what I thought might be the case but I was afraid to say anything to him for fear he'd think I was odd or something. :lol: I'm glad to see I'm not the only one this thought came to!
I just looked up photos :oops: of bunny genitalia and I really think he looks more like a boy to me, but there is no real, erm... 'lipstick' coming out of the skin on his bits. It just looks kind of triangle shaped. There is definitely no slit there either though, so...hmm.

I don't know how he would show hormonal behaviour. He is a "no touchie" bunny for the most part but he doesn't hump the other bunnies, albeit he hasn't had too much time with them. Pip does not like him enough for me to try to put them together. He likes Mimzy and will groom him, but Mimzy will try to hump him and he runs off. He only grunts at me if I get too "handy", or stomps/thumps. He doesn't show any aggression to Jenna either even though they are the two most likely to come in contact with one another. He really is just like a little boy, kind of childlike. I don't know how else to describe it. Also he is the only one of the three who doesn't have any heavy scent whereas both Pip and Mimzy can have strong smelling urine from time to time.
If he is hermaphrodite, does he still need some kind of altering surgery? I would hope not as I think he is too old for such a procedure especially with all that is going on with him now. :(

Having a peek at that link, Jane, and thank you so much for your kind thoughts for Fiver. :)

Aha! See now that's what I thought might be the case but I was afraid to say anything to him for fear he'd think I was odd or something. :lol: I'm glad to see I'm not the only one this thought came to!
I just looked up photos :oops: of bunny genitalia and I really think he looks more like a boy to me, but there is no real, erm... 'lipstick' coming out of the skin on his bits. It just looks kind of triangle shaped. There is definitely no slit there either though, so...hmm.

I don't know how he would show hormonal behaviour. He is a "no touchie" bunny for the most part but he doesn't hump the other bunnies, albeit he hasn't had too much time with them. Pip does not like him enough for me to try to put them together. He likes Mimzy and will groom him, but Mimzy will try to hump him and he runs off. He only grunts at me if I get too "handy", or stomps/thumps. He doesn't show any aggression to Jenna either even though they are the two most likely to come in contact with one another. He really is just like a little boy, kind of childlike. I don't know how else to describe it. Also he is the only one of the three who doesn't have any heavy scent whereas both Pip and Mimzy can have strong smelling urine from time to time.
If he is hermaphrodite, does he still need some kind of altering surgery? I would hope not as I think he is too old for such a procedure especially with all that is going on with him now. :(

Having a peek at that link, Jane, and thank you so much for your kind thoughts for Fiver. :)

I dont think he would require surgery if he were hermaphrodite. All the organs are usually non functioning (non hormone producing) so at a very low risk of causing any sort of malignant disease. That's my (unqualified) understanding anyway !!

Thank you Jane :) That relieves my mind.
I'm just sitting here this evening watching my wee lad relaxing in his habitat. He's got a major moult going on right now so he looks pretty rough, but he is such a sweet little guy. I can't stand the thought of him having any more seizures. I hope that whatever the cause is we can get down to it and stop them from happening again.
Not looking forward to giving him his baytril though. :shock: Mimzy doesn't mind this medication and will actually lap it up, but Fiver hates medicine. I've only recently gotten him to accept metacam willingly! :(
At least his doctor made certain that he got a fruity flavor instead of the usual tuna/chicken one they give to the carnivores!

Thank you Jane :) That relieves my mind.
I'm just sitting here this evening watching my wee lad relaxing in his habitat. He's got a major moult going on right now so he looks pretty rough, but he is such a sweet little guy. I can't stand the thought of him having any more seizures. I hope that whatever the cause is we can get down to it and stop them from happening again.
Not looking forward to giving him his baytril though. :shock: Mimzy doesn't mind this medication and will actually lap it up, but Fiver hates medicine. I've only recently gotten him to accept metacam willingly! :(
At least his doctor made certain that he got a fruity flavor instead of the usual tuna/chicken one they give to the carnivores!

I'm so glad you've got a good vet on the case! It seems like he's going to explore all diagnostic options to see what's the best treatment for Fiver (if any is needed). In the meantime, I hope he remains well :thumb:

:shock: blimey all a bit confusing regarding his sex. I must admit I have never looked at girl or boy bits, well all the boys I have had, had no bits. Good luck with future tests and dental. Hope the abx help. X

:shock: blimey all a bit confusing regarding his sex. I must admit I have never looked at girl or boy bits, well all the boys I have had, had no bits. Good luck with future tests and dental. Hope the abx help. X

I wont tell James you have 'said' that on a public forum !! :shock:

:lol:

Back