• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some really urgent bonding advice

FredW

Alpha Buck
Hi,
isn't it always strange how things work. I was searching for month to get a husbun for my girl.... well finally found one in a rescue place nearby, well when I say nearby, 17 miles away, as that's the nearest one here. They told me they pick my girl up, bond them, and bring them both back after 48 hours. anyhow... I cant say I was too sold on that idea, but didn't know any alternative to give her her companion. well that was until this afternoon. Someone I used to work with got herself a baby rabbit two weeks ago.... unfortunately she didn't check with her landlord and he told her now to get rid of it. made some other comments, which I wont repeat here. anyway, she's now stressing out as she doesn't want him to go to someone where she cant ever see him again. he's only 9 weeks old or so, so really a baby still. so I agreed to try and bond him with my girl. I spoke to a lovely lady from RWAF and she gave me some tips as well.
so here is what I am planning, just hoping I got all this right, so any help or suggestions would be great.
I will be getting two runs, not massive ones, but large enough they can still hop around in. I'm planning on putting them next to each other. since this room is next to the kitchen I unfolded a couple of big cardboard boxes to go on the floor, since it's tiled and my girl can't work on tiles, I don't know if they normally can, but she cant. so will have some cardboard going from my room to the kitchen for them to meet in a place that is neutral. then the rest of the time stay in the runs next to each other. hopefully after a while they will be good enough together that I can open the two doors adjoined and have them go between runs, so like in a double run. then when they are happier together, I was planning to keep them in one run only while I am around. probably in the new bunnies run, since it will have his smell in it more then hers. but still keep them in the separate runs at night. then when I feel they are definitely fine, put them both overnight in her old run, which I will be washing out with vinegar to ensure it's neutralised. this will have to be their home then for a few weeks until Boyle's has their new pen ready and then they can both go in their new home together. the new pen should be here in about 8 weeks, giving them plenty of time bonding in a smaller space.
does that all sound about right, or am I planning anything wrong here?
the way I am seeing this, she has to get him out the house by next week, end of at the latest, so if he goes to a rescue place, then it's worth me seeing if Bunbuns will bond with him first, cause if not he can always still go there, but there is a chance they would get on and they will both be happy.
am I doing the right thing here?

Is your girl neutered? The boy will need to be neutered, this can be done at 4 months as long as he is ready in the dangly bits department!

I wouldn't try to bond them until they are both neutered. If your girl is already neutered then give the boy a few weeks to recover and then try bonding.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply.
Yeah she is done, but he isn't, cause he is too young (I think he is only a couple of months old or so).
I guess that could cause an issue then, cause short term, I can keep them separate, but not for months really, since he's still a little baby really, so would probably be at least another 2-3 months before he could be done, which just space wise wouldn't work. that's a shame, as I really don't like the idea of this poor fellow being pushed back into a rescue centre again. need to have a further thing here...

Thanks for your reply.
Yeah she is done, but he isn't, cause he is too young (I think he is only a couple of months old or so).
I guess that could cause an issue then, cause short term, I can keep them separate, but not for months really, since he's still a little baby really, so would probably be at least another 2-3 months before he could be done, which just space wise wouldn't work. that's a shame, as I really don't like the idea of this poor fellow being pushed back into a rescue centre again. need to have a further thing here...

I have to admit that when Frosty and Snowflake fell out (just after being neutered) I had to keep one in the indoor cage and one out in the bedroom. NOT ideal. Eventually got two outdoor set ups so that they could be totally separate and managed to rebond them a few months later (with two does).

Even if the baby has to live in less than ideal housing in the short term it may be worth it to give him a good home. Obviously only you will be able to judge that. Good luck.

thanks Tulsi, I don't like the idea of him going to a shelter to be honest, and if I knew someone else who would be able to take him right away I'd be happy with that too, but he wasn't wanted by the original owner, and now the current one cant have him, he hasn't done anything to deserve being pushed around further. I will sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning, still have a few days to decide. I just wont have the space to have two complete separate pairs, so really if they don't bond, I cant keep him, so no idea if it's fair, but then is it worth a try, gosh I just wish I knew what would be for the best. :?

I'm no great expert, but just wondering whether - as he's so young - you could bond them now and then have him neutered when he's old enough. (Are you sure he is a boy?)
Not the best of starts for a baby - sounds as though he was removed from his mother too early from the age you think he is now - and I would be sorely tempted to try. I do have a problem with heart and head though.

yeah he was unwanted, the owners of the doe just dumped her in a shelter a few days before she gave birth, and I do think that they gave them away too early, I think he was only 6 weeks old or so. way too young, but they are certain he's a boy though. they already had him microchiped at the vets and checked up. that's why I was hoping since he is so tiny that she may just end up looking out for him and treating him more like her own. she plays with stuffed toys like they are babies, even though she's spayed, she does have a motherly vibe somehow. I just cannot bear the thought of him being shipped off to another rescue place again, and then who knows how long he stays there. and I am like you too, I have big problems between heart and head, I saw his little face and his eyes looked like they just wanted to be loved. same Bunbuns looked at me when I first saw her. I knew instantly she was the one to bring one. and I haven't regretted it a single day, she was at her place forever, cause she's not as "perfect" in her marking, but I think she's just perfect. :)

yep I am truly lost. the lovely lady from RWAF has been super helpful and gave me some tips as well.
by big issue is.... I have already fallen in love with him, was love at first sight, same I had with Bunbuns, can I really see him going somewhere else.... not really... but what if they don't bond, maybe that's a bridge to cross when I get there..... why do they have to be so damn special and cute?!

yeah, the worrier in me always worries when it comes to my little girl and I don't want to end up getting attached to this new one and then she doesn't like him, but then I guess she could be bonded with another one, all looks great and then they unbond again, so it is just a case of staying positive and hoping for the best. and I guess, there is nothing to lose, if I don't take him he goes straight to a rescue centre, if I take him and he doesn't bond with her, he can still go there, but will have had a chance to be here... so I guess it's a case of hope for the best. I would have preferred for someone else to bond her with a new bun... but, I also just cannot see how any place can guarantee me a bond after 48 hours, which basically I was told, sounds to me more like a case of seeing it more as a business transaction, if that makes sense.

Thanks Babsie, maybe cause somehow it copied ... after rab, so looks like somehow the copy didn't want to work. i'll find her thread :) thanks for letting me know :)

Thanks Babsie, maybe cause somehow it copied ... after rab, so looks like somehow the copy didn't want to work. i'll find her thread :) thanks for letting me know :)

Oh dear, please read the comments on Jane's thread, by some who have watched it.

oh bum... I missed it, I was going to watch it, was on today, and it completely slipped my mind, heading off to find the thread again.

Back