• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Upsetting Rabbit Bonding Issue

Hello!
We bought two netherland dwarf female sister rabbits two years ago now, awfully about 6 months ago one of them died after hurting her leg running so we took the advice of our pet shop owner and bought another netherland dwarf rabbit immediately.
It's a male so we had him neutered as he was old enough (he was hand reared after his mother rejected him) and he's an extremely nervous rabbit, his ear shake when we bring him indoors!
Anyway we brought them in together and they were fine, licking each other etc but a week after we let them out together foolishly in the garden and he attacked her, he's a very aggressive rabbit-always bites when you put your hand in the cage or anything like that and we'd never do anything to harm him, we adore his very bones!
It's now six months later, we payed £400 to have a custom hutch made 50/50, they go in to the garden at separate times, we can't risk him being near her unfortunately.
We've tried several times to put them together in a little travel hutch and after a few minutes he gives he small bites which seem loving but before you know it he's biting her awfully, we split them straight away but yeah, we've come here for advice from you, please help us, it's so upsetting!
Any advice would be more than gratefully appreciated, thank you so much!

Is your doe spayed? If not it could be that her hormones are exciting him.

There are many great bonding threads on here and a lot of experienced bonders. I hope that someone with experience comes along soon.

Do they each have plenty of space to run around in when they are not in the garden? Lack of space can make rabbits more territorial/nervous. A custom made hutch sounds great. Would love to see pics.

Hope you find some good advice from here.

Last edited:
She is not! That's a very interesting idea! When i let either out one will always stand in front of the other binking, even some tail wagging with just the cage wire to separate them so we're fooled into thinking they're super excited and want to be together, just never the case disappointingly!
Oh thanks so much, you're very right and i hope so too, thanks so much for your advice also!
They do, they run and run, the custom hutch isn't huge but definitely enough space we think! I'll definitely get some photos though!
Thanks again :)

Back