• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think I found a new husbun for my girl

FredW

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I think I finally tracked down a rescue centre close enough. yay :) and I think I finally found the perfect companion for my little Bunbuns. Well hopefully he will be anyway. He is quite a wild one and was previously bonded with another doe, but she was too subdued for him, so they un-bonded, but since my little girl is very boisterous they should work perfect. Anyhow… my question is, the rescue place said they would bond them for us, they will pick her up (not looking forward being without my girl though), bond them and bring them here together after 48 hours or so. Since I never had a rabbit before my girl, I am new to a lot of things, so I thought I'd ask here. Is it quite normal for the bonding to be done that fast? I mean 48 hours doesn’t sound long, though they do sound like they know what they are doing (they have been going for over 13 years) and are helpful and friendly, just thought I ask. Also will I be needing a separate travel case for the two, and two cages at first, or can they travel in the same case and then go in the same pen together. We are getting a new custom build pen anyway, and she would be picked up when the new pen arrives to be put up while she's gone, so it will be new for them both, that way she shouldn’t get territorial, but just wonder, do I need to take precaution and get two cages for the interim, just in case. Or trust that they will only let me have both if they are definitely ready to stay together?
Just all very new and kinda scary, especially when you hear of how they can fight and stuff.

There is no set time for bonding as it very much depends on the rabbits. But 48 hours is very quick and I can't imagine they would be bonded properly. If theb48 hour period has gone well AND you have someone to drive you home, it would probably be ok to have them travel home in the same carrier as you can supervise and intervene if they look like they might scrap. If you have to drive back by yourself then I'd put them in separate carriers.

I wouldn't put them straight into their new enclosure either, preferring to spend at least a few more days in a small bonding space. Putting them in a large space too soon will possibly cause scuffles to break out.

Thanks for that :)
I guess if they are not bonded in that time, they probably keep them longer, but just wanted to check here first before asking silly questions ;)

So would it be best to get a smaller cage then for the first few nights? Don't think I could fit a massive 6" in together with their new home. so any recommendations on what may be best to have them in at first?

Back