• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

funny little scabby bumps?

spadge

Young Bun
Hi All

Hope someone can help - I'm little bit worried abut our bunny - hes 2 and a harlequin lop - the other evening I noticed some little bumps prob 6 or 7 on each side of his face kind of under his ear and down towards his mouth - they are deep in his fur possibly on the skin surface (I can't be sure) they are tiny and seem to be like little scabs sticking a bit of the fur together. He's not troubled by them in fact loves being stroked in that area - I don't know if it is a scab , from scratching a bite or something ? or even if its bit of food matted in ! ewwww - any ideas, it doesn't smell , I have tried to take some pics but very difficult to get to the bumps keep him still and take a pic ! its to the right of the pic http://1drv.ms/1GlMZbe
really really don't want to take him to the vets as that causes him lots of stress - any advice appreciated thanks

Hi All

Hope someone can help - I'm little bit worried abut our bunny - hes 2 and a harlequin lop - the other evening I noticed some little bumps prob 6 or 7 on each side of his face kind of under his ear and down towards his mouth - they are deep in his fur possibly on the skin surface (I can't be sure) they are tiny and seem to be like little scabs sticking a bit of the fur together. He's not troubled by them in fact loves being stroked in that area - I don't know if it is a scab , from scratching a bite or something ? or even if its bit of food matted in ! ewwww - any ideas, it doesn't smell , I have tried to take some pics but very difficult to get to the bumps keep him still and take a pic ! its to the right of the pic http://1drv.ms/1GlMZbe
really really don't want to take him to the vets as that causes him lots of stress - any advice appreciated thanks

Rabbits have sebaceous glands along the sides of their face. Sometimes the oily secretions from the glands can adhere to the fur forming little dry yellowish clumps. These usually come away as the Rabbit cleans his/her face. You can gently remove them yourself, they come away easily. Sometimes you can actually see the little 'ready to come out' tufts of fur sticking out.

Hi All

To be honest I find it a bit difficult to see from the photos, but it could be a number of things. I suggest keeping an eye on them, and if they spread to other areas (check if there any elsewhere if you can) then post again or visit/ring your vet. It's not normal to have scabby patches around the face but it may be nothing to worry about :D

Back