• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shelly Bean is coming home

The Vet will probably express any sludge from his bladder whilst he is sedated for the Xrays. Hopefully there will not be any stones. Then the Vet will run through how to manage his diet and fluids to try to minimise the risk of the problem recurring.
He did ask what I fed..and went 'ah ' as soon as I mentioned dandelion leaves.

It's ironic really...I started giving dandelion leaves a month or so ago having read they can be a diuretic and good for kidney function..plus the buns love them. Only learnt today that they are high in calcium too. So in trying to do the right thing ...ended up with a bun with sludge[emoji27] . Ah well..I've learnt an awful lot today and hopefully no long term damage done. Dandelions are now relegated to the carrot and banana bin..ie.an occasional treat.

Of course it may not be just the dandelion. .will discuss further tomorrow.

You're very welcome Fellie :D

Yes I agree. You can then be prepared to ask a few questions and be 'on the ball' a bit.

Sounds like you have a very good vet! My vet showed me how to do sub-Q fluids and express a rabbit's bladder, but you may not wish to do these things yourself anyway. Vet nurses can be very helpful, I've found!
Given that I can't clip my buns nails....[emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]
I wish I did have your knowledge and skills though. .One day maybe[emoji6]

You may not be a confident bunny handler yet, but you're a very good bunny carer - you spotted something was wrong, got good advice on RU and took your bun off to the vets for help. I don't think any rabbit could ask for more. I hope everything works out :)

Yes I'm sure it will come. It builds up gradually with experience. Reading on here is a mine of info!

I think you've done marvellously well and got to the cause of the problem.
You're a great bunny slave!

Sending Shelly vibes, and you and Harley too. Is she with him?

Thank you :thumb: No Holly isn't with him - I thought he'd be coming straight back home to be honest. But she is happy enough - left her making a complete mess this morning - I had forgotten how messy she was before she was bonded with Sheldon:lol:

Feel bad for Sheldon though -but as long as he gets lots of attention he's okay - he's not a nervy bun if that makes sense.

Just had a call from the vets - Shelly passed lots of poops last night so at least his guts are working fine. They are still going ahead with x-rays and want to do blood tests to check that kidneys are working properly.

Jeez - this vets are good - my previous vets would never go to this length. And of course I'm willing for them to do all the tests / treatment necessary to get my boy fit and healthy again - thank God I got paid today and that living on baked beans and toast for month is not an issue :lol:

Just had a call from the vets - Shelly passed lots of poops last night so at least his guts are working fine. They are still going ahead with x-rays and want to do blood tests to check that kidneys are working properly.

Jeez - this vets are good - my previous vets would never go to this length. And of course I'm willing for them to do all the tests / treatment necessary to get my boy fit and healthy again - thank God I got paid today and that living on baked beans and toast for month is not an issue :lol:

Trinity ?

Hope all goes well with Sheldon's diagnostics xx

My boy is coming home tonight :love::love::love:

Vet has just rung - there are no stones in bladder but there is a small amount of sludge.

They also x-rayed his spine just to see if there was any weakness there - only thing that Mark saw was something a bit out of kilter in the thoracic area but couldn't see exactly what, but that will be monitored going forward.

Blood test showed liver and kidney functions are normal - but the blood does show an inflamatory profile.

They have also sent off bloods to be tested for E.C. - just lately there has been link seen between that and urinary problems.

So I will be coming home with Septrin and Metacam.

Just so relieved there is nothing hugely wrong - except of course for the possibility of EC - but it may well not be so not going to worry about that until there is something to worry about.:thumb:

Cannot wait to see him this evening :love:

(and I hope Holly feels the same way - and that I'm not spending the weekend re-bonding the little tykes:D)

Vet has just rung - there are no stones in bladder but there is a small amount of sludge.

They also x-rayed his spine just to see if there was any weakness there - only thing that Mark saw was something a bit out of kilter in the thoracic area but couldn't see exactly what, but that will be monitored going forward.

Blood test showed liver and kidney functions are normal - but the blood does show an inflamatory profile.

They have also sent off bloods to be tested for E.C. - just lately there has been link seen between that and urinary problems.

Just so relieved there is nothing hugely wrong - except of course for the possibility of EC - but it may well not be so not going to worry about that until there is something to worry about.:thumb:

(and I hope Holly feels the same way - and that I'm not spending the weekend re-bonding the little tykes:D)

Yay !! So pleased that he will soon be home. Hopefully he'll be feeling a lot more comfortable xx

Oh Fellie, so glad to read this wonderful update! Mark is a fantastic vet - one in a million :thumb:

Perhaps now you can worry a little less whilst eating your baked beans on toast ..... :shock:

Oh Fellie, so glad to read this wonderful update! Mark is a fantastic vet - one in a million :thumb:

Perhaps now you can worry a little less whilst eating your baked beans on toast ..... :shock:

:lol::lol::lol: - you'd be amazed at what I can do with beans on toast - the delux version with marmite is delicious :lol:

Seriously though - I am so grateful that 'fate' brought us to Maidstone - and found us a house just round the corner from Trinity's. It is a huge relief knowing my 'kids' will get the best of care - and the fact that they get better care than us humans just makes me chuckle :D

:lol::lol::lol: - you'd be amazed at what I can do with beans on toast - the delux version with marmite is delicious :lol:

Seriously though - I am so grateful that 'fate' brought us to Maidstone - and found us a house just round the corner from Trinity's. It is a huge relief knowing my 'kids' will get the best of care - and the fact that they get better care than us humans just makes me chuckle :D

Yes they certainly *do* get better care than us at the best of vets, that's no lie :thumb:

I will try the deluxe version of baked beans - I never thought of marmite! :D

Back