• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possible new bunny incoming!!

Linzay88

New Kit
Hi everyone I plan on posting in the intro section later but have an urgent question!
My girlfriend and I currently have 2 wonderful bunnies Jaffa a lionhead we re-homed (6 years) and Chester a Netherland dwarf we have had since about 8 weeks old (almost 1 now). They get on very well when supervised but they cant be left on their own together as Jaffa gets "humpy" and they can fight. Both neutered males but Jaffa was neutered later in life after we re-homed him.
We are thinking of getting a young female bunny to give our youngest bunny Chester a friend that he can properly bond and live with all the time.
I am basically looking for some input on if this is a good idea or not.

Your best bet would be to contact your local rescue then take along Chester so he can choose his own friend!

Most rescues will do the bonding for you too :)

I'm assuming that both your rabbits are neutered.

Just wondering whether you could bond them so they could be together all the time. You would have to follow all the bonding steps, of course, such as starting in a (small) completely neutral area, etc.

I'm assuming that both your rabbits are neutered.

Just wondering whether you could bond them so they could be together all the time. You would have to follow all the bonding steps, of course, such as starting in a (small) completely neutral area, etc.

Hi there, yes they are both neutered but Jaffa had his op later in life and has still got some habits such as mounting all of the time!
We have been bonding them pretty much since we got Chester following the steps as you said. They currently get on very well in our living room and garden, flopping next to each other and grooming etc. Jaffa just gets the urge to mount suddenly after some time and will keep going until Chester gets annoyed. So we don't feel like we can leave them alone together in their enclosures.

The other thing is the age gap between them. Going just by age Jaffa will most likely leave us first ( a very sad thought :( ) and Chester will be left without a friend. We think that if we can get Chester a friend closer to his age he will have a friend for life.

What happens to Jaffa then? He will have no friend at all. :(
Don't worry he won't be left out! He will still get the supervised playdates! He is also very attached to us (as we are to him! ) so we will still be making just as much fuss over him as we do now! He and Chester don't live together right now anyway so nothing should change for him in that way.

Back