• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gurgling noise

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
When Bellatrix drinks from a bowl she makes a very loud gurgling noise. She seems to prefer drinking from a bowl so is this something to worry about? Should I get rid of the bowls and just use bottles? Thank you!

Some Rabbits do gurgle when they drink, either from a bowl or a bottle. Morse gurgled so loudly I could hear him from another room !!

Is it more common in lops I wonder? My OH reckons she makes so much noise drinking as she can't hear herself owing to being deaf - obviously a theory plucked from nowhere

Is it more common in lops I wonder? My OH reckons she makes so much noise drinking as she can't hear herself owing to being deaf - obviously a theory plucked from nowhere

Two of my trio are lops and they're both sisters, but only one gurgles loudly (that I've noticed!)

Chinook's gurgle is so loud and so bloody cute, it's really high pitched :love:

Bitzy-B - totally of the subject (I just noticed your location), do you know of any good rabbit rescues in Lancashire?

Oooh Hiya :wave:

I got Hollie from Easterleigh Animal Sanctuary in Blackpool, they have some lovely bunnies in at the moment. http://www.easterleigh.org.uk/animals/small+animal/

Unfortunately they've been given notice on their lease so are going to have to either close or move to alternative premises (although in order to move they need to raise in the region of £100,000). So they're desperate to re-home the animals they have there.

They were great with me, Hollie had only just been spayed so I had to wait a few weeks before I could bring her home, Della (the bunny lady) was fab and kept me updated with her progress and I went to visit her each week (hence having met the other bunnies that are in there).

Other than that, there's the RSPCA http://www.rspca.org.uk/local/blackpool-and-north-lancs-branch/petsearch#onSubmitSetHere but I've never had any dealings with them as regards bunnies and adoption etc.

Hope that helps a bit x

Oooh Hiya :wave:

I got Hollie from Easterleigh Animal Sanctuary in Blackpool, they have some lovely bunnies in at the moment. http://www.easterleigh.org.uk/animals/small+animal/

Unfortunately they've been given notice on their lease so are going to have to either close or move to alternative premises (although in order to move they need to raise in the region of £100,000). So they're desperate to re-home the animals they have there.

They were great with me, Hollie had only just been spayed so I had to wait a few weeks before I could bring her home, Della (the bunny lady) was fab and kept me updated with her progress and I went to visit her each week (hence having met the other bunnies that are in there).

Other than that, there's the RSPCA http://www.rspca.org.uk/local/blackpool-and-north-lancs-branch/petsearch#onSubmitSetHere but I've never had any dealings with them as regards bunnies and adoption etc.

Hope that helps a bit x

That's really helpful, Thanks :)

When Bellatrix drinks from a bowl she makes a very loud gurgling noise. She seems to prefer drinking from a bowl so is this something to worry about? Should I get rid of the bowls and just use bottles? Thank you!

Research has shown that rabbits drink more from a bowl than a bottle, so in my book I would prefer to give a bowl :thumb:

Back