• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ec eye lense rupture agai

beki

Mama Doe
Bertie has ec in his eye which has resulted in a cataract and a lense rupture. I have just noticed at some point today it looks like his lense as ruptured again as his eye is all red :( the vet warned me this could happen and when it happened last she gave me steroid drops. I'm not able to get to the vet probably not until the weekend. I still have some steriod drops that I have had around a month. Do you think it will be ok to use them? They were what she said she would give me again to treat him. I wonder if they can prescribe over the phone if I do need some more. I can get someone to pop in and get a prescription but can't actually get Bertie in to be seen. I don't think he necessarily needs to be seen as his eye looks the same as it did a month ago.

Also on the subject of ec. I was meant to do a hutch bleach on day 28 which was Friday. At 36 weeks pregnant I have a lot of other things on my mind and so forgot! I have put a note to remind me to do it tomorrow. I finished the course of treatment on Friday but forgot to bleach. Am I best continuing the course for a few days more after bleaching tomorrow or just bleach the hutch and leave it at that.

Thanks

Oh poor lad, I think the eye drops have to be discarded a month after opening. Is it Maxitrol ? If so that definitely has to be discarded 28 days after opening.

As for the Panacur, I would ask the Vet, given that the lens rupture has recurred. The Vet may want to extend the course of Panacur.

Thanks for the fast reply jane. Yes it's maxitrol. I'll ring the vets and see if I can get another lot without taking him in. I'll ask about extending the lapuzole (using this instead if panacur) too.

Just out of interest, I know you can get panacur for dogs, can this be used fir rabbits too? If I've got to redose I wonder whether it's best yo get this as it will be a smaller dose amount I think, perhaps easier to administer orally Rotherham relying on erratic to rise them

Thanks for the fast reply jane. Yes it's maxitrol. I'll ring the vets and see if I can get another lot without taking him in. I'll ask about extending the lapuzole (using this instead if panacur) too.

Just out of interest, I know you can get panacur for dogs, can this be used fir rabbits too? If I've got to redose I wonder whether it's best yo get this as it will be a smaller dose amount I think, perhaps easier to administer orally Rotherham relying on erratic to rise them

Yep, I use the Panacur 10% liquid at a dose rate of 0.2ml/kg (20mg/kg). It's exactly the same active ingredient (Fenbendazole)

I just realised how bad the spelling was in that last post! Stupid predictive text, that will teach me for not proof reading.

0.2 per kg is better than 1ml per kg to dose with, I might get some of that then as I will be able to syringe that in being a small dose. Both bunnies weigh a little over 2kg so it's two syringe fulls of lapizole which is why I'm finding it tricky. Manor pharmacy sell panacur at a reasonable price

I have got more eye drops now for Bertie and also some baytril as the vet found it hard to work out if the white in his eye was pus or the cateract as it seemed to be mixed in with the blood a bit. She said we will see how it goes, he doesn't seem to be in pain as she was touching round his eye and no reaction at all from him, though he could be hiding it. She did mention again his eye might need removing if it continues to happen. I don't know what I will do if it gets to that stage as I am now on maternity leave so we can't afford it. I didn't get round to insuring him before all this happened as I hadn't had him very long before his eye started causing problems :(

I have got more eye drops now for Bertie and also some baytril as the vet found it hard to work out if the white in his eye was pus or the cateract as it seemed to be mixed in with the blood a bit. She said we will see how it goes, he doesn't seem to be in pain as she was touching round his eye and no reaction at all from him, though he could be hiding it. She did mention again his eye might need removing if it continues to happen. I don't know what I will do if it gets to that stage as I am now on maternity leave so we can't afford it. I didn't get round to insuring him before all this happened as I hadn't had him very long before his eye started causing problems :(

I hope the treatment will get things under control again. Would you Vet agree to a payment plan should Bertie require surgery ?

Just a thought and I hope you don't mind me mentioning it here .... Would you consider going to the P.D.S.A. if he needed his eye removed?

I really hope the eye drops work for him. I do appreciate not only is money tight but with a little one nearly on the way you must have so much to do!

Good luck xx

Thanks for the suggestion mightymax, it's not something I had considered as I doubt we would be eligible, my husband earns quite good money, it's just with me being on maternity leave til feb next year now money will be tight, we can afford all bills, mortgage and stuff on the one wage, just little unexpected extras are going to be a struggle until I am back at work. I only get statutory maternity too, so not a lot coming in from me. I will just have to hope his eye will settle down again, or can be managed with the steroids. The vet wondered if it may have been linked to the lapizole treatment which I only stopped last week, but wasn't sure, although she knows about ec I think that she doesn't come across it often limited to the eye.

I feel so mean, I wish I could just say take it out to prevent any future pain, but he really doesn't seem bothered at the moment by it at all. I have noticed when he is relaxed both his ears lop, when a little agitated they both go up, he has had loppy ears a lot and breathing normal so I'm hoping this means he isn't in pain. Poor boy. I will update to how his treatment is going

Back