• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding newbie

Babybella

Warren Scout
Hello, as some of you may have read in a previous thread by me I tried bonding my rabbits (Bella who is 15 weeks old this week and Alfie who is 11 weeks old this week) by allowing them to run around in a neutral place, the kitchen. On the first day they were fine, Bella attempted to hump Alfie a couple of times but apart from that they were fine. The next day we had them together again and Bella started pulling Alfie's fur out leaving him pretty scared so they were separated. That was all 3 weeks ago now.

Since then they have not been put together at any point. Each time we have done a thorough clean out of their hutch we have swapped them over so they are getting used to each others' scent and not getting too attached to their living areas (swapping their parts of the hutch was recommended by the breeder).

Neither are neutered yet but they will be as soon as Alfie has developed (if we can get a proper look at him, he's rather fluffy underneath). They are going in for their injections next Monday so I will ask the vet to try and check whether Alfie can be done yet.

So my question is, am I better off waiting until they are neutered to try bonding again? And either way what would be a good way to go about trying them together again? I did maybe consider the run rather than the kitchen with it being a smaller space so they would be easier to get to if they need to be separated if they fight, last time they were under the kitchen table which made it very difficult to get to them.

I would wait until they are spayed/neutered personally :thumb: a small neutralspace is better, have you got a puppy pen you could use to restrict space?

Back