• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to bond 2 pairs of bun?

hyic

Young Bun
I have a pair of rabbits, 1 boy and 1 girl. Recently my sister gave me her pair ( 1 boy and 1 girl) yo look after for quite a long period of time due to work commitments. At the moment they are in separate hutches but would like to bond them together. I am going to have a chance cos next month we are moving and the new place will be completely neutral to them.

So, what should I do then? Put 2 pairs together immediately? Or take one out of a pair to try a trio and make a change each time for all buns? Or I should try the boy in 1 pair and girl in other pair first and then mix all them together?
Thanks

Last edited:
They are all neutered long time ago. At the moment we are swapping their hutch everyday to let them use to the other pair. They also seems more relaxing when 1 pair out and the other pair inside the hutch. But really have no clue what is the best way of bonding 2 pairs of bunny couples.

Are you keeping the rabbits? If your sister is going to ask for her rabbits back, I would not bond all 4 together.

She might claim them back 3 years later so I think bond them. Now they live in 2 small hutches and out to garden at different time but in my new house, I will convert a shed to house all 4 rabbits.

She might claim them back 3 years later so I think bond them. Now they live in 2 small hutches and out to garden at different time but in my new house, I will convert a shed to house all 4 rabbits.

Personally, if your sister will want them back at any time I wouldn't bond them. To separate them after 3 years would be really unfair on them in my opinion. I bonded 2 pairs into a quad, the 2 original pairs were a pair of brothers, and a pair of sisters. The 2 pairs interacted really well and really strong bonds developed between them. I would never have separated them. Sadly my girls both died so the boys are a pair again.

I really have no idea as my sister can't confirm herself! She might extend her contract or might come back. Her pair of rabbits are around 5/6 years old now and my pair male one is 5 and female is 1 years old. So I think if the quard get on well then I may just keep all of them or simply ask her to keep all 4 rabbits. She is also a rabbits lover.

It sounds like they could all stay together either at one house or another then :) Lucky rabbits. I don't have any bonding experience but just wanted to say good luck :thumb:

At the moment they are more relaxing than those initial days. Looks like they accept the existence of the other pairs. But I'm a bit scare to put them all together, worry if they fight how could I split up 4 rabbits at the sane time!

It sounds to me like all 4 buns would have a much better space if they could all enjoy it together. Three years is a long time & IF she returns anything could happen in that time. Lets face it, you're both bunny lovers so if it came down to it neither of you would want to split a loving established group up, so surely you would both work out what is in the best interests of the rabbits at that time. So why not bond?

I'd love to have more rabbits but only if in a harmonious group. Sadly I have experience only of bonding 2 rabbits. good luck, I hope advice from those in the know comes soon :wave:

Back