• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spayed Female + unneutered male

joshyg02

New Kit
Hi, today I went to my local RSPCA animal rescue in search for a male to accompany my single female rabbit (marley) whose female friend died a couple of weeks after buying the pair, It has been about a year Marley has been single and I am going to try to re home a rabbit to bond with her , I spotted 3 males with a similar personality to Marley, but unfortunately all the rabbits at the shelter were not neutered or spayed. Next week I was told to bring Marley along with me to see what she is like with the males but im unsure what the behavior will be like, I was told that once I decided to re home a rabbit that I will get it within 2 weeks minimum after it has been castrated and health checked etc. So how will I determine if a bond works with my marley and one of the three un neutered males? Marley tends to be quite timid sometimes but is quite alive in the run (lots of binkys!). It looks like I found a perfect match for Marley but im not sure how she'll act? So my question is how will I determine if a bond works between the pair and what behaviours will I have to look out for? BTW: marley is about 14 months old and is an english lop and the rabbits at the shelter im looking at are 1 year old approx, here is the list of rabbits im looking at:
George: 1 year old english lop, playful and very active! (the one Im thinking is a perfect match for marley!)
Buzz: 1 year old black lion head crossbreed, very shy and scared, thumps alot (I think he has been through a hard time)
Logan: 1 year old black lion head crossbreed, enjoys strokes, relaxed, not really sure

Last edited:
Hmm, I see your dilemma!

Personally, I wouldnt like to try and bond with unneutered males, as even on these 'dates' your poor rabbit is likely to get frusted at their 'advances' when it could be that they would get along swimmingly if both done!

Also, general rule is bond 4-6 weeks post neuter for hormones to calm and that's a long wait to house separately until then for you.

If you post your approx location someone may be able to suggest a rescue with neutered males to try. :thumb:

Yes, I was told 2 weeks at the very minimum, the RSPCA shelter was at Great Ayton, Middlesbrough if its any help :)

To be honest, you can't really tell which one will bond best with her, because its only once hormones die down that you can see the actual personality of the bunny. So, I'm not sure you can make an educated choice. If you want one of these you are essentially randomly selecting one for her, that may or may not bond.

What happens if they don't bond?

Is there anywhere else you can go, where they are neutered and stable and let her choose her own?

To be honest, you can't really tell which one will bond best with her, because its only once hormones die down that you can see the actual personality of the bunny. So, I'm not sure you can make an educated choice. If you want one of these you are essentially randomly selecting one for her, that may or may not bond.

What happens if they don't bond?

Is there anywhere else you can go, where they are neutered and stable and let her choose her own?

OK thanks for the answer I have a spare run or a spare room in my house, would a spayed male likely work in my case with marley? What kind of castrated male would I look for? George is a new rabbit to the shelter so he could be castrated I'm not sure as he showed no aggression especially since some other rabbits did, whether this was caused by the scent of other rabbits I'm not sure I'll have to ask. George was a year old so has reached maturity so he has a case so his previous owner may of had him castrated like I said I'm not sure... :? :roll:

Back