• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elmo isn't eating again /UD Elmo and Chinook are home, recovering :D

Boots

Mama Doe
Chinook stopped eating two nights ago, and after phoning the emergency vets, I gave her a dose of metacam and emeprid. She was right as rain within an hour.

Tonight, Elmo wouldn't come in for dinner and refused all food and treats. Again, I phoned the emergency vet (about 10:30pm) and as Elmo has had a blockage recently, they advised to try the metacam and some critical care and see how we get on. He took the metacam eventually, but we really struggled with the critical care. I'm by myself tonight and doing it alone is SO hard. He took about 3mls in the end.

I've left him for an hour and he's not improved, and appears to be tooth grinding a little bit, even with the metacam. I'm quite a nervous driver, but I am about to go to the vets about 20-30 minutes away, so please wish us luck and healthy vibes. I'm having a cup of tea now for an extra boost of caffeine!

I'm desperately worried, as he's recently had the obstruction and surgery. I need him to be okay. My little fluff monster. Xxx

Last edited:
Oh no, what a worry :cry: Given his history you have done the right thing in getting him to a Vet ASAP

How are things now ?

Thank you for your replies and kind thoughts :wave:

I drove there very safely and slowly—on a road that is usually permanently gridlocked, at 2:30am is completely empty :D Had to drive down lots of country roads and forgot at first how to put my full beam on, so was CRAWLING round corners :lol:

The vet examined Elmo, his blood sugars were a little elevated, but still within normal range and not high enough to warrant immediate concern of an obstruction. He had good gut sounds and was passing poos, even a couple on the vet :oops: I had the option to leave him there overnight, but as it was already 3:00am at this point and I had meds at home, it seemed a bit pointless to leave him in. However, the vet did find a spur on his front incisor and his top teeth are a bit overgrown. Interestingly, the bottom ones are possibly too worn down. He had no irritation in his mouth though.

Once we got home I gave him a dose of emeprid and more critical care, then put him back with the girls. They are such a wonderful trio and obviously love each other very much. As soon as he was out of the carrier, they were straight over to snuggle next to him and give him a groom :love: I feel like bringing him home was worth it just for that! He ate a couple of pieces of dried carrot and had some water, but that was it.

This morning, he's had a couple of carrotys treats, and seems much brighter thankfully. He took a fenugreek crunchie from me, but kind of mouthed it and dropped it. He's booked in for a dental on Monday (the worry!) and I think that will help, as it does seem to be related.

So today is more critical care and more emeprid, and a dose of metacam tonight. Fingers crossed he starts eating normally soon xxx

Glad he's feeling a bit better, hope the dental goes well and he makes a full recovery soon. Sending lots of vibes for Elmo xx

Oh dear I'm sorry you had your overnight dash to the vets. What a worry, given Elmo's previous history!

I am sending loads of vibes for his continued recovery over the weekend and many more for his Dental on Monday xx

Thank you very much everyone :love: He's had more critical care and two discs of fresh carrot. Not much, but something! He's bounding about in the run though, so that's encouraging.

Unfortunately, Chin is now refusing food too :( She's making a low gurgling sound; like how our tummies do sometimes. I've given her metacam and emeprid but no syringe feed for now, as she was fine this morning. She is sleeping a lot today, but I'm hoping that's because of all the disruption last night.

Oy vey. Two bunnies not wanting their din dins is not fun! Becoming a pro at syringe feeds though :roll:

Thank you very much everyone :love: He's had more critical care and two discs of fresh carrot. Not much, but something! He's bounding about in the run though, so that's encouraging.

Unfortunately, Chin is now refusing food too :( She's making a low gurgling sound; like how our tummies do sometimes. I've given her metacam and emeprid but no syringe feed for now, as she was fine this morning. She is sleeping a lot today, but I'm hoping that's because of all the disruption last night.

Oy vey. Two bunnies not wanting their din dins is not fun! Becoming a pro at syringe feeds though :roll:

Oh Boots :cry:

One bun is bad enough, but two?? I really hope things pick up for you and them :love:

Oh Boots :cry:

One bun is bad enough, but two?? I really hope things pick up for you and them :love:

Thank you MM :love: I really appreciate your kindness—my OH is away and I feel very alone trying to get them better.

Elmo looks himself and is bright and bouncy, but isn't interested in his dinner pellets or treats. He did take a carrot disc from me and munch that, but wasn't interested in any green veg. I will continue to syringe feed him and give him emeprid; I have a feeling that if his spurs are bothering him, he won't start eating anything hard until they're sorted.

Chinook isn't looking herself at all however :( She's hunched up and sleeping all the time. Usually if she does this and is given metacam, she perks up noticeably. I'm very worried. I gave her a dose of emeprid earlier and also syringe fed her about 4.5mls of critical care. Both are due another set of both feed and emeprid soon, so I'll do them at the same time.

I could take them to the vet again, but as they've both had all the meds here, I'm not sure it's worth the stress of a different environment. When I saw the vet last night, he said the only thing they'd do that I can't is the blood glucose tests. I might make an appointment for tomorrow for them both (they charge extra at the weekend, never mind :roll:) to get that checked and re-assess.

Gawd, it's so hard to know if you're doing the right or wrong thing. I just want them all to be well and happy.

Poor you :( I know how tiring it is syringe feeding one bunny, but two at the same time must be very tough.

I hope they both start to improve very soon, although it does sound like Elmo won't be wanting to eat properly until he gets his teeth sorted.

Thank you MM :love: I really appreciate your kindness—my OH is away and I feel very alone trying to get them better.

Elmo looks himself and is bright and bouncy, but isn't interested in his dinner pellets or treats. He did take a carrot disc from me and munch that, but wasn't interested in any green veg. I will continue to syringe feed him and give him emeprid; I have a feeling that if his spurs are bothering him, he won't start eating anything hard until they're sorted.

Chinook isn't looking herself at all however :( She's hunched up and sleeping all the time. Usually if she does this and is given metacam, she perks up noticeably. I'm very worried. I gave her a dose of emeprid earlier and also syringe fed her about 4.5mls of critical care. Both are due another set of both feed and emeprid soon, so I'll do them at the same time.

I could take them to the vet again, but as they've both had all the meds here, I'm not sure it's worth the stress of a different environment. When I saw the vet last night, he said the only thing they'd do that I can't is the blood glucose tests. I might make an appointment for tomorrow for them both (they charge extra at the weekend, never mind :roll:) to get that checked and re-assess.

Gawd, it's so hard to know if you're doing the right or wrong thing. I just want them all to be well and happy.

Oh Gosh, even harder if you're alone trying to do all this. I would be feeling a bit overwhelmed ..
I do hope they pick up overnight and save you the stress and cost of a vet's visit. It's always nice when buns do that for their humans.

Have you any tempting herbs or stuff like that? A morsel of toast maybe? A couple of sunflower seeds?

Thinking of you xx

just caught up with this, so sorry you've two buns who are "off" at the moment. They are such a worry sometimes aren't they ? Hope the dental goes ok tomorrow, sending both buns get well soon vibes. Xx

Please send all your vibes for my little Chinook, she's gone into surgery for a suspected blockage. Can't see for tears, so scared :cry: xxx

I am so glad Elmo is feeling a little better and you have a cause. Wishing Elmo a speedy recovery from his dental on Monday. Pooping on the vet is always a good sign!

It reminds me of my late Bopper. After frantically calling the vets for an urgent visit, I put him in the carrier and drove on a very rough road that was being prepared for repaving. When I took him out of the carrier at the vets, I realized he had made poos and passed much of the gas on the drive to the vets and he was happy again.

Chin is through surgery thankfully, now we need to wait and see if she's able to clear the rest of the blockage by herself. Come on little spud, you can do it! Xxx

Good lord, how stressful have the last 24 hours been for you eh! How soon should you know whether Chinook will pull through or not?
Glad to hear Elmo is on the mend at least!! :)

Chin is through surgery thankfully, now we need to wait and see if she's able to clear the rest of the blockage by herself. Come on little spud, you can do it! Xxx

Really, really glad she came through. Sending many vibes that she makes a good recovery.

Oh Lord, two bunnies both needing blockage surgeries?? :shock: I'd be a puddle on the floor unable to raise my head from all the stress. (((((((Massive hugs))))))))
Really hoping Chinook and Elmo will do well now and not have any more scary episodes. xxxx

Back