• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit different after boarding

Lindah

New Kit
Hi, I have had my rabbit home for 2 days now after being in boarding for 2 weeks. She has been to friends before in the past but not to a place with lots of rabbits. Since coming home she had been nasty, biting, grunting and not easily allowing us near. She is normally a gentle little thing. Is it just the trauma of being away from home and has anyone else had this problem?

How old is your bunny? It is possible she's feeling unsettled from being away, or that she's in the swing of her hormones from being around other bunnies.

She is an older rabbit, about 4 years old. She came to me as an adult. She is not "done" as the vet said it wasn't really worthwhile at her age.

i imagine being in a place with lots of other rabbits may have cause her to feel more hormonal/territorial especially as she was then moved again at the end of the boarding (obviously- back home!) hopefully she should calm down in time. spaying would definitely help relieve her from her hormonal urges and is certainly worthwhile at her age - she is still young. spaying is essential to prevent uterine cancer, which is extremely common in unsprayed does. spaying would also mean she could be bonded with a bunny friend :) i would recommend finding a more rabbit savvy vet and getting that done asap.

i imagine being in a place with lots of other rabbits may have cause her to feel more hormonal/territorial especially as she was then moved again at the end of the boarding (obviously- back home!) hopefully she should calm down in time. spaying would definitely help relieve her from her hormonal urges and is certainly worthwhile at her age - she is still young. spaying is essential to prevent uterine cancer, which is extremely common in unsprayed does. spaying would also mean she could be bonded with a bunny friend :) i would recommend finding a more rabbit savvy vet and getting that done asap.

This, she is probably hormonal as I would imagine it must have been very frustrating for her to be able to smell other buns and not do anything about it!

I would also find a new vet. Rabbits are actually classified as exotics and very little about them is covered in basic veterinary training! Any vet that used the phrase "at her age" about a 4 year old bun would have me very very wary! Rabbits can live for 10-12 years and spaying is so important for females. Over 80% of unspayed females will get uterine cancer by the age of 5 :shock: spaying can easily double the life of your bun and save her from a horrible and painful disease.

Just to add to this, my little fella is the same after boarding, although he is neutered and has been for sometime. Just got him back today so hopefully he'll settle down now he's back at home.

It's a big change for bunnies. I expect she'll settle down over the next few days. Try to give her a bit of space and let her approach you - hand feeding may help :)

This, she is probably hormonal as I would imagine it must have been very frustrating for her to be able to smell other buns and not do anything about it!

I would also find a new vet. Rabbits are actually classified as exotics and very little about them is covered in basic veterinary training! Any vet that used the phrase "at her age" about a 4 year old bun would have me very very wary! Rabbits can live for 10-12 years and spaying is so important for females. Over 80% of unspayed females will get uterine cancer by the age of 5 :shock: spaying can easily double the life of your bun and save her from a horrible and painful disease.

Just to add, my bun was spayed recently and she's four. There was never any question of her being too old to have it done.

Back