• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

e-Cuniculi Aftermath & Alergies- Help!

plom3

Young Bun
Hi everyone.

I Have two house rabbits, Pebbles and Kiki. They are both around 4 years old. We have had Pebbles 4 years, and Kiki 2. We adopted Kiki as a friend for Pebbles, but she was in a really bad way when we got her. The vet treated her for E-Cuniculi, an eye infection and mites, and she has since put on weight and got rid of the urine scalding she had on her legs when we got her.

She still has life long effects from the virus, such as weak hind legs (she runs funny) and incontinence. It is the latter which is currently an issue. She drinks a hell of a lot, I change their water bottle every day and it is always nearly empty. She is currently drinking which is what she seems to do all day.

This does not help with her being incontinent as it means she is constantly urinating, and not just in one spot.

I currently work from home so they have the run of the hallway all day which I cover in incontinence pads and towels. Keeping their cage dry is fine as I have been using megazorb which is fantastic, and in their old set up in our old flat I used vetbed. I clean the cage out every three days but am looking at changing it to two.

My boyfriend has always been slightly allergic if fur gets up his nose, but recently he has become mega allergic. So much so that on Monday he took the day off work because he felt so ill the night before.

We have narrowed it down to being her urine which he thinks is setting him off. I always clean up after her but obviously they live in the flat and she is incontinent so it is always going to be there at some extent.

I wondered if anyone had any advice to either help her with the incontinence, stop her drinking so much or help with the allergies... he think's it's something to do with the hormones in her pee etc...

Any advice would be appreciated as we can't get rid of them but I can't have my boyfriend suffering so badly either.

Thank you!

Hello

Unfortunately EC can also effect the Kidneys, this may account for the fact that your Rabbit is drinking and weeing a lot and is incontinent. I would advise you to take her back to your Vet to get some diagnostics run- full blood profile and urinalysis. This would check her renal function and also see if there is any bacterial infection going on.

Please dont try to restrict her water intake, doing so could make her very poorly very quickly.

Does your boyfriend take antihistimines to help with his allergy ?

Thank you for your quick response. I will get her down the vet.

Yes he does but he often gets headaches with them- sickly man. He is going to go to the doctors because he has sinus problems anyway so we will see. I will take Kiki back to the vets and see what they say.

Thank you

Thank you for your quick response. I will get her down the vet.

Yes he does but he often gets headaches with them- sickly man. He is going to go to the doctors because he has sinus problems anyway so we will see. I will take Kiki back to the vets and see what they say.

Thank you

Sinus problems are often exacerbated by hayfever. The Doc may prescribe a nasal spray as well as oral antihistimines.

Hope Kiki gets on OK at the Vets x

Hi everyone.

I Have two house rabbits, Pebbles and Kiki. They are both around 4 years old. We have had Pebbles 4 years, and Kiki 2. We adopted Kiki as a friend for Pebbles, but she was in a really bad way when we got her. The vet treated her for E-Cuniculi, an eye infection and mites, and she has since put on weight and got rid of the urine scalding she had on her legs when we got her.

She still has life long effects from the virus, such as weak hind legs (she runs funny) and incontinence. It is the latter which is currently an issue. She drinks a hell of a lot, I change their water bottle every day and it is always nearly empty. She is currently drinking which is what she seems to do all day.

This does not help with her being incontinent as it means she is constantly urinating, and not just in one spot.

I currently work from home so they have the run of the hallway all day which I cover in incontinence pads and towels. Keeping their cage dry is fine as I have been using megazorb which is fantastic, and in their old set up in our old flat I used vetbed. I clean the cage out every three days but am looking at changing it to two.

My boyfriend has always been slightly allergic if fur gets up his nose, but recently he has become mega allergic. So much so that on Monday he took the day off work because he felt so ill the night before.

We have narrowed it down to being her urine which he thinks is setting him off. I always clean up after her but obviously they live in the flat and she is incontinent so it is always going to be there at some extent.

I wondered if anyone had any advice to either help her with the incontinence, stop her drinking so much or help with the allergies... he think's it's something to do with the hormones in her pee etc...

Any advice would be appreciated as we can't get rid of them but I can't have my boyfriend suffering so badly either.

Thank you!

With regards to Kiki's incontinence, I would speak with the vet about perhaps a repeat course of Panacur. When you got her as a companion for Pebbles, were both bunnies given Panacur at the same time? If not, the spores are transmitted through the urine and it could have passed around again.

The other thing you could do is speak to the vet about a blood test. The reason I mention this is that E.C. can cause kidney damage, which in turn can make a bunny incontinent. Your vet may or may not think this is worth doing, as the kidneys only show up as damaged when they are significantly so.

Can you maybe think of investing in a steam cleaner to get rid of the pee smell? It's been a Godsend in my house :thumb:

Good luck xxx

Back