• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

OMG!!! Eating grass and hay!!!!! Not looking good, teeth fallen out!!! Advice needed

Well, after 3 long years with dentals every other month and a lost tooth episode before Christmas Pixie is finally back to eating grass and hay!!! I haven't a clue what's changed but I'm just so pleased : ) In the last three years she's eating only pellets and thin strips of carrot (cut like this to mimic eating hay as thought it would help, which perhaps it has) but thats it, we really have tried everything possible to get her to eat a normal diet but with no luck until the most recent dental. Really couldn't belie my eyes when she had a lovely bit of timothy hay sticking out of her mouth!! I very happily watched it as she munched on it!!! Then looking like she was trying to eat the grass but does have trouble pulling it so I pulled her some up and she started eating it!!! Her little eyes were shut too so I'm guessing it tasted really good!! I'm just so pleased and hoping she'll soon eat grass again all on her own. :D

Last edited:
Well, after 3 long years with dentals every other month and a lost tooth episode before Christmas Pixie is finally back to eating grass and hay!!! I haven't a clue what's changed but I'm just so pleased : ) In the last three years she's eating only pellets and thin strips of carrot (cut like this to mimic eating hay as thought it would help, which perhaps it has) but thats it, we really have tried everything possible to get her to eat a normal diet but with no luck until the most recent dental. Really couldn't belie my eyes when she had a lovely bit of timothy hay sticking out of her mouth!! I very happily watched it as she munched on it!!! Then looking like she was trying to eat the grass but does have trouble pulling it so I pulled her some up and she started eating it!!! Her little eyes were shut too so I'm guessing it tasted really good!! I'm just so pleased and hoping she'll soon eat grass again all on her own. :D

What a lovely image that is :love:

I had a rabbit who would only eat readigrass .... then one day out of the blue she started pulling out strands of hay to eat :thumb:
Ours is not to reason why :lol:

Very pleased indeed : )) she's been such a little fighter over the past years and I know eating grass and hay is the very best thing for her teeth in the future. Thanks for all your replies guys :wave:

Teeth fallen out!! Advice needed...

After Pixie's dental two weeks ago she's now back at the vet as not eating properly and after her doing so well too. Amazingly 3 molars fell out and a front incisor needed to be removed!! Poor sweet darling, she's still in the vets as very sore and not eaten anything yet. My question is how many back teeth do they need to eat ok? she had another back too fall out last year so I'm not sure how many are left??? Will she cope ok with just a few in her mouth??? Totally gutted as she was doing so well too. Any vibes you can send her would be wonderful - poor baby :love:

Dont know the answer to your teeth questions but wanted to send lots of vibes for her today.

After Pixie's dental two weeks ago she's now back at the vet as not eating properly and after her doing so well too. Amazingly 3 molars fell out and a front incisor needed to be removed!! Poor sweet darling, she's still in the vets as very sore and not eaten anything yet. My question is how many back teeth do they need to eat ok? she had another back too fall out last year so I'm not sure how many are left??? Will she cope ok with just a few in her mouth??? Totally gutted as she was doing so well too. Any vibes you can send her would be wonderful - poor baby :love:

Oh what a shame after she was doing so well. Rabbits have a total of 28 teeth- 4 incisors at the top (two of these are behind the 'main incisors' and are called auxilliary incisors or 'peg teeth'), two at the bottom. Then there are 6 upper premolars, 4 lower premolars, then 6 upper molars and 6 lower molars.

How well a Rabbit can manage to eat after losing several molars will vary. The Rabbit is less likely to be able to eat hay, but they may manage some grass. They can also manage finely chopped/grated veg. They can usually manage pellets, but personally I would actually go against the usual advice and feed a muesli mix instead. Unless the Rabbit will eat the pellets after they have been soaked in warm water to make them soft. I have had first hand experience of a 'Dental' Rabbit choking on a pellet feed, so whilst my opinion here may be frowned upon it is something that I would now always do for a Rabbit who has lost a lot of teeth. Never again do I want to witness a Rabbit choking. As always though, you need to discuss your Rabbit's specific needs with your Vet. I am simply passing on my experience of caring for an almost toothless Rabbit :)

I hope that your Rabbit will soon be able to come home xx

Thank you so much for your replies :wave: I really didn't even think a pellet diet may cause trouble in a 'gummy' bunny. I'll defiantly ask my vet about a muesli option as Pix is a real pellet queen but we'll take it step by step. I called the vet earlier and although she is still being force fed she's showing interest in her favorite herb, basil and has tried nibbling on it so everything is crossed for her. The vets have been amazing as usual and very supportive too - amazing people aren't they :wave: Lets hope she doesn't lose any more teeth for a while so she can enjoy being the 'full of little bunny beans' darling we know so well :love:

Thank you so much for your replies :wave: I really didn't even think a pellet diet may cause trouble in a 'gummy' bunny. I'll defiantly ask my vet about a muesli option as Pix is a real pellet queen but we'll take it step by step. I called the vet earlier and although she is still being force fed she's showing interest in her favorite herb, basil and has tried nibbling on it so everything is crossed for her. The vets have been amazing as usual and very supportive too - amazing people aren't they :wave: Lets hope she doesn't lose any more teeth for a while so she can enjoy being the 'full of little bunny beans' darling we know so well :love:

I have always fed my gummy bunnies a pellet feed ... sometimes softened and sometimes not. I wouldn't automatically assume she shouldn't eat pellets any more! There are so many undesirable elements (often!) in a muesli mix, and some of the biscuity stuff is extremely hard and can be painful on gums.

I think so long as she has *some* teeth then you've got something to work with. For my toothless ones I put the food (yes including grass!) into my food processor, and it always got woofed down!

Good luck and many ((((( vibes ))))) xxx

One thing you could try if she wont it soggy pellets is to crush the pellets up. Unfortunately my Rabbit would not eat either soggy or crushed pellets, hence the last resort of having to feed her a muesli mix.

You could also try Fibafirst sticks.

http://www.supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

These are a much easier to crumble than 'normal' pellets and they also have a high fibre content. Fibafirst was not on the market when I had my almost toothless Rabbit or I would have tried her on it. Knowing what she was like though I suspect she would've turned her nose up at it !

One thing you could try if she wont it soggy pellets is to crush the pellets up. Unfortunately my Rabbit would not eat either soggy or crushed pellets, hence the last resort of having to feed her a muesli mix.

You could also try Fibafirst sticks.

http://www.supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

These are a much easier to crumble than 'normal' pellets and they also have a high fibre content. Fibafirst was not on the market when I had my almost toothless Rabbit or I would have tried her on it. Knowing what she was like though I suspect she would've turned her nose up at it !

What a good idea, I'll look into these for her. I'll also look into a blender for her food too as I'm sure she would be fine with everything chopped up as that's how mummy serves apple at night time - she won't settle until you give this to her at night!! It's only a very small amount but she does love it so much.

Had a call from the vet this morning saying Pix had a rough night. she's not even trying to eat now and is refusing all force feeds and is looking pretty miserable. I've taken in her partner 'Parsnip' today as he's not well either and may need a dental for him today. Just not very lucky in our household lately, just want my babies home and feeling much better. I'm at work at the moment and can't concentrate on anything, I'm hoping to leave early so I can get to the vet and see them both. I'm wondering if she would be better at home so I'll chat to the vet later when she calls. Poor darlings, I really wish they could talk and tell you where it hurts. xx

Had a call from the vet this morning saying Pix had a rough night. she's not even trying to eat now and is refusing all force feeds and is looking pretty miserable. I've taken in her partner 'Parsnip' today as he's not well either and may need a dental for him today. Just not very lucky in our household lately, just want my babies home and feeling much better. I'm at work at the moment and can't concentrate on anything, I'm hoping to leave early so I can get to the vet and see them both. I'm wondering if she would be better at home so I'll chat to the vet later when she calls. Poor darlings, I really wish they could talk and tell you where it hurts. xx

Oh I'm sorry things aren't looking so good. And poor Parsnip too!

Good luck at the vet later on. I hope he gives you some good advice xx

Not the best news as Pixie is still pretty miserable and not eating so they will continue to force feed. Parsnip is in with her now as they may have to open him up!! He's uncomfortable in his tummy, had blood and urine tests but nothing showed and also an x-ray with nothing either. Vet can feel something odd but nothing solid and is not sure what it is. So if you can send any vibes for by brave babies I'd be so grateful. They really have had the most horrid week. I'm just hoping all will be well and they will be home soon xx

Not the best news as Pixie is still pretty miserable and not eating so they will continue to force feed. Parsnip is in with her now as they may have to open him up!! He's uncomfortable in his tummy, had blood and urine tests but nothing showed and also an x-ray with nothing either. Vet can feel something odd but nothing solid and is not sure what it is. So if you can send any vibes for by brave babies I'd be so grateful. They really have had the most horrid week. I'm just hoping all will be well and they will be home soon xx

Oh dear :cry: I hope you receive better news soon. Is the Vet going to continue medical treatment overnight rather than going in surgically ?

Lots of vibes being sent for both Pixie and Parsnip xx

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry! I hope everything improves .... It never rains but it pours, it seems sometimes ....

Back