• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to clipper a rabbit with fur like cotton wool?

Mormordook

Young Bun
We have a rescued bunny called Corrie-Baba who I think looks like a satin coat angorra rabbit although I believe she has some "giant" rabbit in her too. Anyway , with summer coming and to help with her ongoing matting issue I would like to try and clipper her fur to keep her cooler and more comfortable. I have tried a mens small beard trimmer that works for grooming my swiss guinea pig (she doesn't live with him btw!)but it doesn't cut into her cotton wool like hair. Scissors are no use as I don't want to nip her to get the hard to manage matts out in the most awkward of areas ! She sits fairly well for grooming but I can tell she is scared. I'd like something quicker and safer to clipper her. Ive tried all the usual large tooth combs and scissors etc but as I say her coat is as soft as cotton wool. Hopefully someone has a rabbit similar to Corrie-Baba who can help. Thanks :)

I use scissors so no advice I'm afraid but I know what a pain it is to deal with! She's a giant too, you'll have to show me a picture of your bun I'd love to see.

I wouldn't suggest using electric clippers on a bunny. Their fur is different from that of a dog so it may cause damage to the bunnys fur or even skin, and the noise would stress the bunny out too much in my opinion.
I would suggest using a de-matting tool or a 'furminator' shedding tool. These are similar to a brush but make easier work of getting matts, knots and clumps of hair out.

Hope this helps at all and sorry if you've already thought of these ideas! :)

Another option is to get her clippered at a vets but this would mean her going under a general anesthetic. Chloe has had 4 or 5 of these in the past but now like I said I cut it with scissors myself. :)

bisc has his own bikini trimmer! used to be a beard trimmer but it wouldn't cut through larger areas very well. the bikini trimmer works very well and quickly. :wave:

I use scissors so no advice I'm afraid but I know what a pain it is to deal with! She's a giant too, you'll have to show me a picture of your bun I'd love to see.

Thanks for your advice. There is a picture of her beside her normal sized friend on my avatar. She is like a big powder puff on bunny !

Thanks everyone ! I wish it was as eady as taking a dog to the groomers ! I feel so sorry for her with all her fluff !

I don't have any actual advice, but I just wanted to say I'd be VERY wary about using a Furminator. I know a previous poster has mentioned it, but it can actually rip a rabbit's skin. Jaysmonkey's Gracie had it happen to her and I personally would not risk it :(

(http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?358967-WARNING-FURMINATOR-users-U-D-19-10-2012&highlight=jaysmonkey+furminator)

Oh my goodness ! That is an awful thing to happen. Thanks for sharing that. I wish someone local would open up as a qualified rabbit groomer and my troubles would be fixed !

Back