• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Missing her little mate, what to do?

Hi,

Yesterday I have to make the hard decision to put my little man Smokie to sleep as he had myxomatosis, our other rabbit Missy Moo was unable to see him after he passed as it could further risk her getting it. Would this distress her much that her little mate just disappeared? They are out door rabbits so they spent most of there time together digging holes or grooming each other, we have started to spend lots of extra time with her, but we think she misses being able to snuggle with him, so I was wondering if getting 1 or 2 soft stuffed toy rabbits for her to sleep with at night when she is in her hutch would help much? especially coming into winter here in Australia it might get extra cold not having that mate to lay next to. Is there anything else we could do to help her?

Thanks

Sorry to hear you lost your rabbit to Myxy :cry: Yes, some bunnies take to a soft toy as a substitute so it is a good idea. Hopefully she won't succumb to this horrid disease.

I'm so sorry that you have lost Smokie to this horrible disease. :cry:

When my Minnie lost her partner she was very depressed and wouldn't come out of her hay tray. Unfortunately she isn't really a people bunny, so extra attention from me wasn't welcome. I created distractions for her with new/interesting toys, cardboard box stuffed with hay, empty cereal box with a Fenugreek crunchie inside it, cardboard toilet roll inner stuffed with nice hay etc. It worked for Minnie, she couldn't resist investigating. She never did manage to get the crunchie out of the cereal box on her own, she knew it was there and it kept her occupied for ages, but in the end I had to help her. :roll:

I hope Missy Moo stays healthy and starts to feel happier very soon. xx

Thanks for the ideas, I tried filling a cardboard box with hay as well as toilet paper roles, she investigated it for 30 seconds smelling then ran off again, she spent more time investigating the shed that I got the hay from. haha. Anything that I could buy or something that would really get her attentions.

Back