• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FORAGE IDENTIFICATION:SEE POST 133 FOR UPDATE re 31st May!

I finally figured out who you are.:oops:

:lol::lol: :oops:

To be fair, the rhubarb was a random side conversation (and not to be fed to bunnies, we just happen to have giant triffid-like rhubarb stuff around the wild pond) which was there when we moved in and needs to be dug out! And I happened to spot the avens (possibly) a while ago. I thought it looked vaguely familiar but had to look it up, so I'm definitely not certain about that one!

:lol::lol: :oops:

To be fair, the rhubarb was a random side conversation (and not to be fed to bunnies, we just happen to have giant triffid-like rhubarb stuff around the wild pond) which was there when we moved in and needs to be dug out! And I happened to spot the avens (possibly) a while ago. I thought it looked vaguely familiar but had to look it up, so I'm definitely not certain about that one!

I think we need more forage training and ... homemade food. The course needs to be repeated. :)

My outside buns snubbed everything I picked for them, but scoffed all of Parsnipbun's dried plantain :(
One of the inside rabbits loved everything, but then she will eat chicken curry.
:?

Bunnies are hilarious aren't they! Not appreciative of our efforts at all :lol:

I googled cow mumble and it seems that yes, hogweed is also known as cow mumble (I found reference to an old book called 'the vocabulary of East Anglia' which includes it alongside the latin name for hogweed) but there are other websites which say that cow mumble is also a common term for cow parsley in Suffolk!

My outside buns snubbed everything I picked for them, but scoffed all of Parsnipbun's dried plantain :(
One of the inside rabbits loved everything, but then she will eat chicken curry.
:?

Mine were exactly the same, however they're eating it now.

Was lovely to meet everyone. Learnt so much too :)

Can't wait for the gardening for rabbits day :)

Matt was glad he went: he's found some hemlock up by the railway bridge on the canal towpath :roll:

Lopsy loves willowherb: wished we'd've known that 20 years ago, Dad could've fed it to Charlie instead of bagging it up for the tip! :lol:

I don't mind running some sort of day in Nottingham if people are interested? Especially as we have confirmed hemlock 5mins walk away...! An urban forage day, maybe? So, how to recognise plants and where NOT to pick them from (the main roadside etc.) as well as suitable sites (suburban paths, Uni campus etc.). Not necessarily as good as Twigs at 'rabbit-safe', but sometimes that's the easier bit! We've also got a small, mixed garden for people to scope out with various rabbit safe and unsafe plants all over, but each is easily recognisable :) Also have lawncare, border care and propagation tips :)

A great day - thank you Twigs and Steve. It was lovely to meet all the bunnies and RUers, eat fab food and learn so much.

Have been dithering over what grows well in our garden as to whether they are geraniums or not. It seems they are so they will be added to bunny food bowls.

Amanda and I need to suss out some foraging areas - my house backs onto the moors so is not the best place.

Collected 20 different things when I went foraging this evening, that's 8 additional plants I was able to identify- many thanks Twigs :)

I am loving all my new knowledge!
I have been out with TheBee this evening and got some cow parsley, jack in the hedge, campion, herb robert, mutant (i.e. massive) dandelions, brambles, hawthorn, burdock, forget-me-nots and some of that really really soft grass. Before this weekend, I would only have known three of those things. Rabbits are still eating the lawn instead....

Really great to hear everyones enthusiasm!! Our rabbits meanwhile have moved on to apple leaves brought down in the storms and a garden buffet of wild geranium that has invaded the flower borders!

gardening for rabbits anyone????

Really great to hear everyones enthusiasm!! Our rabbits meanwhile have moved on to apple leaves brought down in the storms and a garden buffet of wild geranium that has invaded the flower borders!

gardening for rabbits anyone????

Sounds fab. Only my garden is tiny. And I can't keep anything alive. I have managed to grow the shortest parsley ever (~ 2 cm). And just this weekend learned the weeds growing in the flower bed are willowherb. Maybe I need just a gardening course first?

I was strolling down a footpath earlier today and suddenly went 'ooh, vetch'. I walk that footpath every day and I've never noticed it before!

I'd definitely be up for gardening for rabbits. I'd also like to have time for a 'what's this in my locality' session, maybe where we could bring things that we have in our own areas but aren't sure what they are, and have a session where we have a group attempt at ID'ing things from various books, see if we can get some additional confidence at identifying stuff. There's some stuff here which I think might be the rosebay willow herb, but I'm not sure enough to feed it!

I was strolling down a footpath earlier today and suddenly went 'ooh, vetch'. I walk that footpath every day and I've never noticed it before!

I'd definitely be up for gardening for rabbits. I'd also like to have time for a 'what's this in my locality' session, maybe where we could bring things that we have in our own areas but aren't sure what they are, and have a session where we have a group attempt at ID'ing things from various books, see if we can get some additional confidence at identifying stuff. There's some stuff here which I think might be the rosebay willow herb, but I'm not sure enough to feed it!

Thats a totally BRILLIANT idea Santa!! By the way I identified the horrid shiny heart shaped leafed thing . it is another type of nightshade!!! First time I have seen it here.

Thats a totally BRILLIANT idea Santa!! By the way I identified the horrid shiny heart shaped leafed thing . it is another type of nightshade!!! First time I have seen it here.
Thank you for the identification. :)
I am up for a gardening for rabbits course too. :wave:

Just wanted to comment and say it was lovely to meet you all :wave:

I've not had any time to go out yet but hoping to tomorrow early morning/lunchtime!

Can people remind me what the stuff we picked was that had the small yellow flowers and odd almost spiney stems?

Like this...

11351206_951726158205345_7048847689963499167_n.jpg

11390024_951726144872013_4212587007232833828_n.jpg

The leaves don't look right to be nipplewort or grounsel...

Just wanted to comment and say it was lovely to meet you all :wave:

I've not had any time to go out yet but hoping to tomorrow early morning/lunchtime!

Can people remind me what the stuff we picked was that had the small yellow flowers and odd almost spiney stems?

Like this...

11351206_951726158205345_7048847689963499167_n.jpg

11390024_951726144872013_4212587007232833828_n.jpg

The leaves don't look right to be nipplewort or grounsel...

I don't recognise that one :(

I am really chuffed with what I've learnt though. Yesterday I went running and spotted some hemlock on the run - and it was obvious that it was hemlock :)
And today I've identified that I have rosebay willow-herb in my garden, as well as the willow-herb we saw on the course.

I also bought some herbs from a man at the market. We don't have the right soil, but some of them have done well before, so I'm going to try again.

Back