• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi from Muffin and Murphy

Arduenna

New Kit
Hi there, I'm in New Zealand and I have 2 rabbits. Previously we had a bun, who died age 6. This is our first time with a pair, and are having some challenges! We started with 2 sisters, but one turned out to not be a people person, hated to be picked up, wouldnt leave their room to run round the house. She got more aggressive and so we contacted the place we got them from and they offered to swap for a male. The male is lovely m very friendly and bonded well with the female. We tried to have him neutered twice, and both times he stopped breathing under the anaesthetic, with 2 different types. The outcome of that is we cant get him neutered. In the meantime we had an accidental litter of babies. So we now have 2 options, we keep the original pair and get the female neutered. However what I have read online is that this is not a good combination, and results in fighting. Or we keep the mum and a daughter. I'm presuming a Dad/Son combo is not a good idea. Its sad because the male is such a lovely bun! But I cant have rabbits kept separately for much longer, and we cant keep 5 rabbits. Sigh, any advice appreciated! We have a porch off the kitchen with the outside bit enclosed and a cat door. So the buns have their inside and outside space and when we are home we can let them inside.

I would try the male rabbit with your female when she has been neutered as it could work out. He may not be forever pestering her but if you keep Mum and Daughter they could fall out when Daughter gets hormonal. It's really impossible to forecast what might happen, you can't go for Dad and son really. What about having Mum and Daughter spayed and keep Dad with them, then he would soo learn not to keep pestering them! But he might not.

Back