• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lettuce!

happybun

Wise Old Thumper
i don't feed it. never have. not in its 'normal' form anyway. some odd lettuce-y things but I can't remember which, its been a while.

so what about you?

mightymax says its a myth that rabbits don't eat lettuce - well, in that case its a myth that's been perpetrated on RU often enough, though perhaps not recently. RU has 'fashions' like anywhere else.

how are you finding the lettuce with your buns?

any preferred lettuces? m, t, c and c won't care what its called if its tasty and doesn't give them the runs. ;)

i don't feed it. never have. not in its 'normal' form anyway. some odd lettuce-y things but I can't remember which, its been a while.

so what about you?

mightymax says its a myth that rabbits don't eat lettuce - well, in that case its a myth that's been perpetrated on RU often enough, though perhaps not recently. RU has 'fashions' like anywhere else.

any preferred lettuces? m, t, c and c won't care what its called if its tasty and doesn't give them the runs. ;)

I have always fed lettuce (all sorts) without problems.

Frances Harcourt-Brown feeds it to her bunnies and says she has NEVER seen a problem with it :D

:lol: oh well, if frances harcourt-brown does it:lol:.... just goes to show you should never trust what you read on ru!:lol:

I'm seriously asking about 'preferred types' though. I could not feed an iceberg or cos, I really couldn't bring myself to do it. but I don't give mine celery, either, and lots of people do.

It's just iceberg lettuce they can't have isn't it? Mine have had other sorts with no problems, in moderation though as with anything else

Never fed iceberg, but they used to love romaine. Unfortunately, Fiver developed serious wind problems so that was dropped from the menu.
Green leaf, red leaf (rarely) and sometimes endive. Mimzy was the only one with the palate for the latter.
The big draw right now is very small amounts of kale. They are all drinking well enough that I don't see any real sludge problems occurring. But once the weather warms to bring the grasses and dandelions and plantain from the earth than we'll drop the store bought veggies for these. :)

:lol: oh well, if frances harcourt-brown does it:lol:.... just goes to show you should never trust what you read on ru!:lol:

I'm seriously asking about 'preferred types' though. I could not feed an iceberg or cos, I really couldn't bring myself to do it. but I don't give mine celery, either, and lots of people do.

:lol::lol:

Mine have celery. Along with courgette it's quite low calorie and low calcium

It's just iceberg lettuce they can't have isn't it? Mine have had other sorts with no problems, in moderation though as with anything else

Apparently so, although Frances HB once told me that her rabbits have pinched iceberg lettuce off her tortoises (you couldn't make that up!!) and didn't have a problem with it.

I tend to give romaine and rocket when I have it in the house, I don't use iceberg myself so its never in the houe

I had to look up courgette as I forgot what it was. :oops:
I used to love zucchini...but it doesn't love me. :( I never knew you could feed that to bunnies. I may have to try some with mine. :)
Does it need peeling or the seeds removed?

I had to look up courgette as I forgot what it was. :oops:
I used to love zucchini...but it doesn't love me. :( I never knew you could feed that to bunnies. I may have to try some with mine. :)
Does it need peeling or the seeds removed?

No and no :)

so what about you?

I dont feed my Rabbits any type of lettuce at all :)

I never fed Louie any type of lettuce but the piggies go mad for the bagged mixed stuff, the purple and suchlike!

I dont feed my Rabbits any type of lettuce at all :)

I'm the same.

I just don't ever seem to want to give it to them, Iceberg obviously isn't good as it contain laudanum which can be harmful in large quantities.

I've never tried mine on romaine lettuce. They seem happy with mostly herbs like basil and parsley and the odd bit of broccoli and kale.

I used to feed Kermit lettuce. The mixed bag of stuff. I found that it went soggy too quickly so I stopped buying it.

I now don't feed any lettuce, but I do feed Celery to buns and hammies.

Mr B doesn't get any, he has mucky bottom issues but the other two outside get gem lettuce and salad as a treat but never iceburg. I heard that iceburg could cause diarrhoea because of its water content.

I don't because I don't see the point, there's plenty of other stuff I can find to feed them that they enjoy and are also higher in fibre and that don't upset Mini's tummy.

But hey, that's me, what do I know? ;)

I don't because I don't see the point, there's plenty of other stuff I can find to feed them that they enjoy and are also higher in fibre and that don't upset Mini's tummy.

But hey, that's me, what do I know? ;)

Quite a lot and for what you don't know you have an A* Bunny Savvy Vet to give brilliant advice !!

Back