• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

If a rabbit is still eating and drinking can he still be really sick?

SmudgyRabbit

New Kit
My poor bunny has had a bad stomach for approx two weeks now - we came back from our 8 day holiday and he was caked around his rear end.

With help I have cleaned him up and put him inside 4 days ago, been to vet and he is on day 4 of antibiotic. Poo's are now solidish (sorry for detail) and he is eating pellets and hay and drinking but he just doesn't seem to be getting any better (or perhaps slightly worse as not moving around as much now).

He doesn't move hardly at all apart from to turn around occasionally. I just gave him antibiotic tonight and felt his stomach gurgle and when I put him down he kind of fell over and just lay there till I put him back on his feet.

His ears are up and he is alert in the sense he looks at you and moves his head when you walk in.

Am wondering as he doesn't seem to be getting any better and seems so weak should I have him put down (he is eight years old - a lionhead. Weighed in at 1.3kg at vets last Thursday). What would you do???????? HELP I don't want him to be in any pain but suspect he is.

Hi and Welcome..

I'm sorry your little bun is ill... You say you have taken him to vets but has the vet found out if the issue is dental or intestinal? Has he send you home with painkillers and gut stimulant...

Sadly a lot of vets aren't very knowledgeable with bunnies who need EXOTICS vet knowledge..

It sounds like your little bun is really not well at all. If a bunny doesnt move or eat for any length of time it can be fatal quickly,

Can you take him to an out of hours vet?.

Good luck
Fee x

Thanks for quick response Fee

I noticed chronic dioreah a days before our holiday.
Took to vet who just gave me some stuff to put in water. Kids had a picnic and stupidly given him too many of there carrot sticks which is what I thought was causing it. Gave him a butt bath and left him in care of grandparents!

Rabbit lives in greenhouse over winter with free access to large back garden. Whilst away was told he came running at food time (eat grass, hay, cabbage and pellets when away - no carrots).

Grandparents had not picked him up and he was caked when we got back 8 nights later. I couldn't get him clean so Friend helped me wash him and he has sores to his skinny little legs.

Second vet visit said his teeth misaligned through age so back ones getting a bit long and catching but if filed down would just grow back (but eating is not a problem). Gave me antibiotic, wormer (both seven day course) and some 'recovery' food - that's it.

He has been on both for four days. My friend said too much grass can give them the squits and he is out all day apart from since he has been ill.

How can I tell if he is in pain? With a cat you know they are fairly oK if they are eating and rabbit is eating? I just don't want him to suffer.

Also I keep clearing up his poo but should I leave it so he eats the soft ones?

Will take to vet in morning x

My poor bunny has had a bad stomach for approx two weeks now - we came back from our 8 day holiday and he was caked around his rear end.

With help I have cleaned him up and put him inside 4 days ago, been to vet and he is on day 4 of antibiotic. Poo's are now solidish (sorry for detail) and he is eating pellets and hay and drinking but he just doesn't seem to be getting any better (or perhaps slightly worse as not moving around as much now).

He doesn't move hardly at all apart from to turn around occasionally. I just gave him antibiotic tonight and felt his stomach gurgle and when I put him down he kind of fell over and just lay there till I put him back on his feet.

His ears are up and he is alert in the sense he looks at you and moves his head when you walk in.

Am wondering as he doesn't seem to be getting any better and seems so weak should I have him put down (he is eight years old - a lionhead. Weighed in at 1.3kg at vets last Thursday). What would you do???????? HELP I don't want him to be in any pain but suspect he is.

Did the vet say what he felt was the problem? Is he cold at the moment?

Was there any change to his routine/feeding over the 8 days you left him? Could something have happened there?
Could he have ingested something toxic? A blood profile would show if there was any organ damage.
Fluids (Intravenously) are very helpful at reviving a poorly rabbit and gives your vet time to examine and consider alternative diagnoses.
What you are saying here sounds serious.

Welcome to the Forum and I'm sorry it's with such a sad mission :wave:

ETA: Just cross posted with yours ..... Thanks for further information.

Vet didn't say anything really thinking about it...just said it was diorrhea (obviously - can't believe I paid for that diagnosis). He has been in greenhouse with free access to gRden since October so no change there. We only got him last Feb from a friend. Could the 'spring' be growing something in garden that he is eating maybe? Vet has not suggested blood test? He is on a very low voltage heat pad so not cold. Poor little mite, he's definitly a fighter though. Thanks so much for the support and advise.

Vet didn't say anything really thinking about it...just said it was diorrhea (obviously - can't believe I paid for that diagnosis). He has been in greenhouse with free access to gRden since October so no change there. We only got him last Feb from a friend. Could the 'spring' be growing something in garden that he is eating maybe? Vet has not suggested blood test? He is on a very low voltage heat pad so not cold. Poor little mite, he's definitly a fighter though. Thanks so much for the support and advise.

I've just PM'd you :)

True diarrhoea is not common in rabbits but is very serious.

Eating the lush spring grass can cause the symptoms you describe and also bellyache. Is he eating hay at the moment? Best thing for him, and water, but he may not fancy it.

Can you check his back end carefully for flystrike? Flies lay their eggs in soiled fur and they hatch out and the maggots eat the rabbit. Sorry! It can cause the symptoms you describe.

If he is lethargic his body temperature could be cold despite the heat pad. Check his ears.
Good luck :)

I didn't want to read and run as you have been given some good advice already.

You may want to put on rabbit chat for a rabbit savvy vet recommendation in your area (put your area in the title e.g. "Rabbit savvy vet - Area" in case you need a second opinion.

I hope he will be OK.

Thanks everyone for your amazing support. Little Smudge was put down this morning. in hindsight it should have happened days ago. Apparently unless it's dental, rabbits are hot wired to carry on eating because of their teeth so whilst I was thinking the little lad was OKish he was on deaths door. Am kicking myself for the suffering he must have felt. Anyway, he is at peace now xx

Thanks everyone for your amazing support. Little Smudge was put down this morning. in hindsight it should have happened days ago. Apparently unless it's dental, rabbits are hot wired to carry on eating because of their teeth so whilst I was thinking the little lad was OKish he was on deaths door. Am kicking myself for the suffering he must have felt. Anyway, he is at peace now xx

Thank you for your PM. I am sorry you lost your little fella :cry:

I hope you'll stay around the Forum if you're thinking of getting another bun xx

I am so sorry for your loss.

Back