• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trixie 'snack roll'…safe for unsupervised play?

ImoT

Mama Doe
I bought this for Winston today; http://www.trixie.de/en/mk/Search,23?showDetail=17269&search=rabbit+snack

I bought it with the intent to let him play with it whilst we are at work for extra enrichment. But having read the instructions it says for supervised use only :( So I just wondered what you all thought? I was going to put a few dried parsnip bits and carrotys as well as his daily allowance of pellets in it bulked up with hay and forage. I just tried him out with it and he absolutely loves it! He was rolling it and picking it up and throwing it and it was so lovely to see. I would love to let him have it whilst we were at work, i'm not sure what could go wrong with it? Do you think it would be safe?

I've just realised this should be in 'rabbit chat' not 'general chat'...can mods move it?

I wonder if the supervision is in case of choking if people put pellets in it, perhaps when you're out you could just use it for hay and forage?

I wonder if the supervision is in case of choking if people put pellets in it, perhaps when you're out you could just use it for hay and forage?

Hmm okay, I usually put his pellets in his hay and there's no guarantee he will have eaten every single one before I go to work. I hadn't really thought of the choking risk :oops: The holes aren't really big enough to o get good amounts of hay and forage out, but I guess I could try!

They're probably just being cautious to prevent any complaints/litigation. Ultimately it's down to the individual to decide if their particular animals are safe using it alone.

They're probably just being cautious to prevent any complaints/litigation. Ultimately it's down to the individual to decide if their particular animals are safe using it alone.

Would you let your rabbits use it alone?

I think it depends on the size of the openings ie could they get a tooth caught in them and is there anything that is soft chewable plastic. Don't like the idea of putting buttons inside it to reduce the speed go food release.
I have to be honest and say that I had a jingle bell throw ball toy that was supposed to be supervised use only and I had it left in their run for about 2 years.

I think it depends on the size of the openings ie could they get a tooth caught in them and is there anything that is soft chewable plastic. Don't like the idea of putting buttons inside it to reduce the speed go food release.
I have to be honest and say that I had a jingle bell throw ball toy that was supposed to be supervised use only and I had it left in their run for about 2 years.

I have a plastic jingle ball in the kitchen where he lives that came with him and it's in there permanently, I didn't know that was meant to be supervised! I'm certainly not putting buttons in the toy, but I think I will only let him have it supervised for now, or when i'm out for an hour or so rather than 7 hours!

I've requested to mods for you to move to rabbit chat :wave:

Thank you, for future reference how would I request for a thread to be moved? And how do I know who the mods are?

Having seen one of mine choking on a pellet and rushing her to emergency vet, I never let them have pellets unsupervised again. I can't imagine the plastic would be any danger though

Having seen one of mine choking on a pellet and rushing her to emergency vet, I never let them have pellets unsupervised again. I can't imagine the plastic would be any danger though

Oh wow okay. Hmm I might have to save his pellets for the evening then when I am around. And just give him some extra herbs in his bowl in the morning. Winston isn't going to be my friend in the morning, he loves his pellets :(

Back