• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and weetabix

beki

Mama Doe
I'm giving my bunnies weetabix daily, a cube about an inch square with their lapizole medication on it, I'm finding it easier and also less stress to Bertie to do it this way and they just scoff it straight down (though I think ruby might have stolen the odd dose off Bertie when I was t looking!!). Ruby sits and waits in the evening now for her weetabix. When I have completed the lapizole course (just over a week left) is it ok to feed them weetabix still in small amounts as a treat? I'm not sure how bad it is for buns. Thanks :)

I give mine weetabix as a treat one and again the boys love it and I love the noise of them crunching it :lol:

I think it's ok as long as it's not loads just as you say a small piece :thumb:

Personally I would not feed it as a treat unless essential in order to get meds into a Rabbit. Weetabix contains a lot of sugar/carbs and both do no favours to a Rabbit's GI tract.

I am a mean human and I believe that Rabbit 'treats' should be things like fresh herbs, fresh plantain, Rose petals all 'natural' and much better for everyBun :)

Afraid I'm a meanie too.
Can't see any advantage in giving treats that are bad for them when there are those which are good for them, like those suggested by Jane.
Using them to persuade a rabbit to take medication is different - I've sometimes resorted to a little piece of toast.

Yep, I would agree. If it's the only way to get meds in, then better that than no meds. But I don't think it's a good treat, even in small quantities.

Im afraid that the plantain treats etc are a normal diet for my leah as she wont eat hay, no matter what and barely eats grass. Never has even before i rescued her. So i give a small piece of toast regularly as a treat. But its up to you, its your choice of what you do and you know your rabbits habit and health better. I also give sunflower seeds and porridge oats regularly, as its v hard to keep weight up on leah. Never tried weetabix myself, but probably wont be adding more treats to her diet as it is.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Personally, I wouldn't feed it as a treat, my buns only get veggies, leaves and fenugreek crunchies as treats!
If it is for medication it's ok...Flo is on cisapride, emeprid, fibreplex, zantac and metacam at the moment and I'm a bit mean so I administer straight into the mouth! :lol: She hates it and she's very wriggly but she forgives me soon after!

Ok I'll stop when the meds stop :) I'm sure she will soon forget especially as the front garden is getting covered in dandelion leaves again and she loves them! I don't normally give my bunnies specific treats. My first bunny I had when I was 10 used to get toast though quite regularly. Before I knew what bunnies could really eat.

Bertie has only been with me a few months and doesn't like being held so trying to get medication in him daily was proving tricky and painful from all the scratches :(

If you give it to them regularly, it is no longer is a treat so they might not accept medication on it in the future. I would only use it when you have to.

Ok I'll stop when the meds stop :) I'm sure she will soon forget especially as the front garden is getting covered in dandelion leaves again and she loves them! I don't normally give my bunnies specific treats. My first bunny I had when I was 10 used to get toast though quite regularly. Before I knew what bunnies could really eat.

Bertie has only been with me a few months and doesn't like being held so trying to get medication in him daily was proving tricky and painful from all the scratches :(

I know what you mean! Flo is a feisty girl and hates her meds! Have you tried the bunny burito when you wrap them in a towel with just their head poking out? I find it usually helps with wiggly bunnies! :D

He managed to escape the bunny burrito and was perched on my shoulder like a parrot!! He is a wriggly one

He managed to escape the bunny burrito and was perched on my shoulder like a parrot!! He is a wriggly one

Oh dear! With Flo I take her inside and place her on the floor between my legs. Then she can't shuffle back and I can stop her from running forward. They are a nightmare sometimes!

If you give it to them regularly, it is no longer is a treat so they might not accept medication on it in the future. I would only use it when you have to.

Yes good point ^^

You need these things up your sleeve when the need arises ..... x

Back