• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Confused...is ground elder poisonous or not?

The girls have been enjoying supervised runs in the garden but we've got a fair amount of ground elder growing. Those who have this weed will know it's near on impossible to get rid of. I've looked on the Internet and there's conflicting information as to whether it's poisonous to rabbits or not, the girls wanted to eat it but with not knowing I stopped them.

I would say it is poisonous given what I've read about it :thumb: And yeah, my Dad has it in his garden and it's a PITA. The best you can do is just keep digging it out or cutting it back as much as you can! :S

Ground elder (Latin name Aegopodium podagraria) is absolutely fine and a total favourite at this time of year - really yummmy for buns . . . - once in full bloom it will be bitter and less palatable and has a higher level of one of the chemicals to be wary of giving too much - but it is never totally toxic.

However Elder tree/shrub (Latin family Sambuca) - which is a totally different plant is not ok.

In america they also use the word elder to refer to yet another plant . .

moral of the story? Always learn the latin names and never rely on common names which are totally confusing!!!.

Back