• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating post-spay ): UPDATE: She's home!

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Flo had her spay yesterday, all went well! She was feeling a bit groggy yesterday which I expected.
Today she is a little brighter, she was stamping her feet at 5am! I've seen her grooming as well. She is drinking and peeing well.
However, she isn't really eating. She has been passing poos, though they are quite small, black and irregular. I've tried all her favourite foods, including lots of grass but she just chucked the bowl across her cage!
Will be phoning the vet in a minute to see if I should bring her in or just get so critical care food. She is due metacam but she needs to eat first! Stressed bunny mummy atm :(

Last edited:
I would give her some metacam and see if that might prompt her to eat as it will ease the pain a bit! She might just be feeling too sore to think about food

If she had a pain relief injection yesterday she shouldn't need more Metacam at the moment. She will start eating when she is ready and if she isn't eating by tomorrow then she will need to go to the Vets. She is also in a new area so this may also be having an effect. Sending recovery vibes xx

She had her metacam injection yesterday at about 9am, the vet prescribed twice daily dosing so she had some last night and she is due it now. They should be eating after 24 hours so that would be at 4pm this afternoon...she just doesn't seem herself at all which is just upsetting to see!

it is a big operation so she's likely to be off, try not to worry too much :wave: just keep tempting her with her favourite foods and hopefully she will eat something when the pain relief kicks in this morning :) i know it is so hard to see them suffering! but it sounds like you are taking great care of her :)

I agree that the Metacam might prompt some eating when it kicks in. What dose are you giving?

it is a big operation so she's likely to be off, try not to worry too much :wave: just keep tempting her with her favourite foods and hopefully she will eat something when the pain relief kicks in this morning :) i know it is so hard to see them suffering! but it sounds like you are taking great care of her :)

Thank you! She does seem a little uncomfortable and I think she might have been teeth grinding so I've given her the metacam so hopefully she'll perk up in a bit!

Just a little update. She nibbled on some carrot but that was it so just been to the vets.
She is now on ranitidine, emeprid, fibreplex and critical care food! If she is not eating by herself tomorrow she will have to be hospitalised for fluids etc.
Praying she'll eat soon!

Have you tried a little bit of coriander or basil - gets mine nibbling better than anything else :)

Sending lots of vibes xx

Just a little update. She nibbled on some carrot but that was it so just been to the vets.
She is now on ranitidine, emeprid, fibreplex and critical care food! If she is not eating by herself tomorrow she will have to be hospitalised for fluids etc.
Praying she'll eat soon!

Oh Flo I'm so sorry, I've only just seen this thread :shock:

I hope she gets going and starts eating .. Naughty girl to worry Mommy so much!

Has she got internal stitches? Did you go in with her?

Sending loads and loads of get well ((((((vibes))))))

Thanks all - carrot is her favourite so I've given her loads and she has been eat a few pieces which is better!

Yeah she has got internal stitches & I think tissue glue as well. The vet said she was mid-phantom pregnancy so it was a bigger procedure than normal! All went well though. I haven't been working as I've got 2 weeks off - so I wasn't at the vets on the day (I had to distract myself all day as I was so worried! :lol:) just had to pop back in today to see the vet, everyone there was a bit worried ! Hopefully the meds have been started early enough so she doesn't go into ileus.

Thank you for the vibes everyone <3

As long as there are no surgical complications causing the lack of appetite, and pain is under control, she may not be eating due to nausea from the anesthesia. I've had a few rabbits struggle with this post neuter. They would hop around fine and not appear to be in pain at all, but still would hardly eat on their own. Usually within two days, the nausea from the anesthesia has resolved and they start eating on their own better. I just syringe feed food and water in the mean time to keep their digestion moving well so stasis doesn't set in. I've also had the best luck getting them to eat leafy herbs and other soft foods, as I think due to being intubated, their throat is a bit sore afterwards.

As long as there are no surgical complications causing the lack of appetite, and pain is under control, she may not be eating due to nausea from the anesthesia. I've had a few rabbits struggle with this post neuter. They would hop around fine and not appear to be in pain at all, but still would hardly eat on their own. Usually within two days, the nausea from the anesthesia has resolved and they start eating on their own better. I just syringe feed food and water in the mean time to keep their digestion moving well so stasis doesn't set in. I've also had the best luck getting them to eat leafy herbs and other soft foods, as I think due to being intubated, their throat is a bit sore afterwards.

Yeah surgery was fine, no pain at all she is quite comfortable when vet palpated her and she just flops in her cage. Yeah I think it was just the anaesthetic - it's a long time for the ladies to be under, she had an xray done too so probably would have been longer. I think she's probably just a bit tired as well, she just slept for the past 2 hours!
She did just nibble some fresh grass I just picked so hopefully after the next set of meds she'll feel better! I'm just nervous as a first time bun mum! Never had a pet undergo anaesthetic before (even though I do them regularly on other peoples pets!) so just a bit worried.
Ahh see we use a lidocaine spray before intubation (I think rabbits should have this?) so hopefully that is not the case :)

Just a little update; Flo was really bright today but hasn't eaten anything today, despite all her medications and syringe feeding. She hadn't really drunk anything either.
Took her in, hospitalised her and she's going on fluids to hopefully perk her up a bit. She lost 200g in two days :(
Bit worried, but I know she is in capable hands. Praying for a speedy recovery!!!

Just a little update; Flo was really bright today but hasn't eaten anything today, despite all her medications and syringe feeding. She hadn't really drunk anything either.
Took her in, hospitalised her and she's going on fluids to hopefully perk her up a bit. She lost 200g in two days :(
Bit worried, but I know she is in capable hands. Praying for a speedy recovery!!!

Poor girl :cry: I really hope she will improve soon xx

oh no.. poor Flo! :(

sending lots and lots of get well vibes for her!!! xx

hope you don't mind me asking, but how old is she? my little girl is due to be spayed next Friday! :(

Back