• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

11 year old with possible e.c

I can't remember where that info came from, and I do agree that its loved by rabbits, but it's something I've remembered from a while back. I could be totally wrong. They have media hay, Timothy, alfalfa and a mix of herb hay at the moment. She's out of the run and eating a bit of grass at the moment, and has been cleaning her bottom - so I'm taking that as a good sign, she just can't keep her balance long enough to do much.
I'm kind of leaning more towards an ear infection at the moment ( the vet did check her ears and said one felt a little warmer, but could have been from being pressed against frank on the drive up to the vets) as she is leaning towards the right, and the ear looks a little reder than the left on. She is on baytril as well as lapizole 2ml of both, as well as zantac and painkiller (not metacam, the new one they use now). The vet only gave me a weeks worth of the first two meds, as that's all he had in stock at the time - so I'm going to my normal vet during the week to pick up more of both or either, depending on what they say. Hopefully I'll not have to take her in again though, and they'll give me the meds I need.
Also, on a slightly un-bunny related term, I caught the sun today a bit, due to the amount of time spent in the garden bunny watching -probably the only person in the UK that should have used sunscreen this morning!

Yes, where do you live that you need sunscreen at this time of year?

We'll be heading over for our holidays!

You are obviously doing all you can to help her. If it is an ear infection then this would definitely cause a loss of appetite. Hopefully once the abx kick in she will start to feel a bit better.

With regards to more medication, if your usual Vet is at a different Practice to the one you saw yesterday then you would need to take Abbey in to be examined again. A Vet cannot prescribe POMs to an animal with an illness for which the has not examined them. If your usual Vet is at the same Practice there shouldn't be a need for Abbey to be examined again.

I really hope you start to see some improvements soon. And I hope your sunburn isn't sore !!

It will be a different vet unfortunately, as yesterday's was an emergency vet in another town, but needs must. So it looks like abbey will have to go again, which I'm trying to avoid, the emergency vet did send an email with notes to my regular practice though, so at least they will know what's going on with her. Funny thing is, I actually live next door to my regular vet - he was away at the weekend and we don't know each other well enough that I can ask for favours, but I'm thinking I might have to start inviting him over for bbq's in the summer ☺

Mightymax -Only Somerset, but my garden was a bit of a Suntrap today, and abbey watching is turning into the sport of my choice

Last edited:
Being new to this forum, I don't know who knows much more than I know, and who needs some guidance.
It sounds like you have things under control. It is always a good sign when they groom and eat something on their own so something is helping.

Trust me, I am no expert- all advice is welcome and never be shy about offering any! I really do appreciate any advice offered and am trying to explain what's going on with my poor girly without meaning to sound harsh, if I did so I do apologise - I also have all my family constantly texting and phoning for updates on her, as they too have known her for 10 years (and brought her Christmas presents lol), so its difficult to remember who has what info and their rabbit knowledge. My dad, for example, came over to see her and seemed very concerned, but knows nothing about rabbits, but has text for regular updates, bless him. Its surprising how many people can worry about bunnies, but very nice too.

Being new to this forum, I don't know who knows much more than I know, and who needs some guidance.
It sounds like you have things under control. It is always a good sign when they groom and eat something on their own so something is helping.

I love your posts Bunny Momma. You come over as very caring. I think we all know a little something and it's always worth putting our two pence (British phrase :lol: ), so please keep posting :wave:

Quick update... I have a hopping rabbit. I think she is mostly trying to get away from frank, but she is out of the run and not hiding in a corner at the moment. Movement is good, im thinking. She's still very stumblely, but is getting around.

Quick update... I have a hopping rabbit. I think she is mostly trying to get away from frank, but she is out of the run and not hiding in a corner at the moment. Movement is good, im thinking. She's still very stumblely, but is getting around.

Can you go grab your phone or camera and shoot it? Will be encouraging and also good to show the vet ...
Great to get those muscles moving :D

That sounds very promising. I hope she has a comfortable night xx

I've taken a video, and a few pics. Unfortunately im not clever enough to post the pics of her up on here from my phone - but its a lovely photo of a big old white girl with read eyes cleaning a very muddy back foot. I dont think she's out of the woods yet, but cannot thank you all enough for the support during this, its truely horrid to see an animal unable to matain basic functions like getting herself to water - im still going to make sure to help her as much as she needs for as long as it takes, but tonight has made me start thinking she can soon be left to do her own thing, with little human contact - the way she likes it. I know I may not have many years left with her, but seeing her telling frank off, or lying in the sunshine (or playing with my nephews toy garage, which she loves) is worth everything. Sooooo happy to see her moving or doing anything, I know its early days and I may be disappointed tomorrow, but small progresses :)

I've taken a video, and a few pics. Unfortunately im not clever enough to post the pics of her up on here from my phone - but its a lovely photo of a big old white girl with read eyes cleaning a very muddy back foot. I dont think she's out of the woods yet, but cannot thank you all enough for the support during this, its truely horrid to see an animal unable to matain basic functions like getting herself to water - im still going to make sure to help her as much as she needs for as long as it takes, but tonight has made me start thinking she can soon be left to do her own thing, with little human contact - the way she likes it. I know I may not have many years left with her, but seeing her telling frank off, or lying in the sunshine (or playing with my nephews toy garage, which she loves) is worth everything. Sooooo happy to see her moving or doing anything, I know its early days and I may be disappointed tomorrow, but small progresses :)

Isla, that's lovely :love:

It will nice for you to have the video and pics of her right now, to know how well she was doing and also enjoying the moment. Sometimes we worry so much about what the future may hold and the joy of today passes right by. She is living in the moment - I loved the bit about her telling Frank off :lol:

If tomorrow comes and she's not as well as today, you can also show the vet how she has been. A bigger picture.
Small progress is still progress, as you say :love:

Well, now she's hopping around and eating grass like nothing happened :) she's still a little stumbley especially when she tries to clean the left side of her body, but doing really well. Luckily my vet was able to provide a months worth of lapizole without having to see her again, which is a great relief. And she'll continue to have that for the next 4 weeks, but it looks like we are over the worst if it. Hopefully she'll continue to have a happy life driving me nuts :)

Well, now she's hopping around and eating grass like nothing happened :) she's still a little stumbley especially when she tries to clean the left side of her body, but doing really well. Luckily my vet was able to provide a months worth of lapizole without having to see her again, which is a great relief. And she'll continue to have that for the next 4 weeks, but it looks like we are over the worst if it. Hopefully she'll continue to have a happy life driving me nuts :)

Thats really good news :) Did the Vet advise you to treat your other Rabbits with Lapizole too ? It is generally advisable to treat all 'in contact' Rabbits in cases of suspected EC. EC is spread via spores shed via the kidneys into the urine. So any area that has been urine contaminated is a potential source of cross infection. Also, all accommodation needs to be either bleach cleaned (using a 10% bleach solution) and/or steam cleaned on days 21 and 28 of treatment.

I hope that she continues to do well xx

This is wonderful news Isla :D

She may be driving you nuts now but what a relief! Thank goodness for all your hard work .... I'm sure she appreciates it :thumb:

What wonderful news!!
Her vast improvement is a tribute to her wonderful care.

Thats really good news :) Did the Vet advise you to treat your other Rabbits with Lapizole too ? It is generally advisable to treat all 'in contact' Rabbits in cases of suspected EC. EC is spread via spores shed via the kidneys into the urine. So any area that has been urine contaminated is a potential source of cross infection. Also, all accommodation needs to be either bleach cleaned (using a 10% bleach solution) and/or steam cleaned on days 21 and 28 of treatment.

I hope that she continues to do well xx

The vets not mentioned about treating frank, but I'll ask him when I speak to him next, probably tomorrow. And I'll mark days 21 and 28 in the calendar. Thank you again for the advice, it's really appreciated, hopefully EC is something I'll never have to see again, far too scary for my liking.

The vets not mentioned about treating frank, but I'll ask him when I speak to him next, probably tomorrow. And I'll mark days 21 and 28 in the calendar. Thank you again for the advice, it's really appreciated, hopefully EC is something I'll never have to see again, far too scary for my liking.

Yes, EC is a nasty disease. I think I have been very lucky in not having any major issues with it since an outbreak amongst my very first few Rabbits about 16 years ago. That situation was made worse by my ignorance about the disease and by the fact that the Vet I was registered with at the time (NOT C!!) had 'never heard of EC'........................:shock: She also told me that vaccinations were 'a waste of money' as 'Myxo is very rare in Pet Rabbits' and 'VHD is almost impossible to transmit'................ :shock:

Thankfully said Vet is no longer in Practice !!

Hope all remains well for your Rabbits now xx

Back