• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

amoxicillin (amoxycare la injection)

jjasper2

New Kit
Hi,

My rabbit had an abscess which has recently been operated on and packed with antibiotic beads. He has been prescribed amoxycare to inject under his skin. I have read that amoxicillin is dangerous for bunnies to either take orally or by injection. Has anyone had experience with this medication?

X

Lola is on amoxycare injection every 3 days as part of treatment for her abscess. You are right it can't be taken orally, but she is doing fine on the injections. How is Jasper doing? Did you get to see Honor?

Subcutaneous injections are fine. Just make sure that you check the injection site afterwards and wipe off any liquid so that there is no chance of him licking it off. It is only dangerous if they ingest it. I have used similar antibiotics on 2 rabbits for well over a year each - they were fine and it kept the jaw abscesses under control.

Hi J

Just replied to your email - sorry couldn't get to it before now :D

Try not to worry - you're doing everything right! You have been brilliant and Jasper looks a fine lad :thumb:

Lola is on amoxycare injection every 3 days as part of treatment for her abscess. You are right it can't be taken orally, but she is doing fine on the injections. How is Jasper doing? Did you get to see Honor?

Hi Bex, Sorry I just finished work. Was supposed to finish at 2pm but never mind. On the plus side, weather is lovely today :D Thank you for getting back to me and apologies for not updating you about Jasper yet! I have been meaning to but my head's been in the shed this week.

Jasper is doing great thank you, he has had his operation (with Honor) and he doing so well. He is eating great, very lively and happy and doesn't appear to be in any pain. I just panicked when I googled the Amoxycare and it said that is should not be given to rabbits orally or parenterally. The emergency vet told me that she would NEVER give this to a rabbit and asked for the circumstances. When I told her the infection was in his jaw she said that my vet had been backed into a corner due to the severity of his infection. She said that it was up to me what I did. I asked if it could be fatal to inject this and she said yes :cry: ! I didn't know what to do… I asked if there is a safer alternative and she said that all penicillins are the same and can cause the gut to fail. But he could be fine and there was no way of telling.

So Jasper had his first injection earlier today and so far no drastic reactions… I will keep an eye on him and hope that I was worrying over nothing.

x

x

Subcutaneous injections are fine. Just make sure that you check the injection site afterwards and wipe off any liquid so that there is no chance of him licking it off. It is only dangerous if they ingest it. I have used similar antibiotics on 2 rabbits for well over a year each - they were fine and it kept the jaw abscesses under control.

Hi Shimmer, Thank you for your reply. This is massive piece of mind. I hope jasper has the same success as your rabbits, that's brilliant :D !! Thank you for the advice about wiping the skin. I will be extra careful and hopefully we'll have no problems x

Hi J

Just replied to your email - sorry couldn't get to it before now :D

Try not to worry - you're doing everything right! You have been brilliant and Jasper looks a fine lad :thumb:

That's no problem, thank you again for all your help and advice. I feel awful for bothering you all the time with all my very many questions! I'm normally quite a decisive person but this has had me round in circles.

I had poor jasper written off before I discovered this site and spoke to you and all the other lovely helpful people and realised that the first opinion is not always the best one :lol:

x
x

That's no problem, thank you again for all your help and advice. I feel awful for bothering you all the time with all my very many questions! I'm normally quite a decisive person but this has had me round in circles.

I had poor jasper written off before I discovered this site and spoke to you and all the other lovely helpful people and realised that the first opinion is not always the best one :lol:

x
x

J you are more than welcome :D I am pleased and relieved that you contacted this site and myself before taking the advice of the first vet. So it's all down to you .... and of course your brill hubby doing the injections for you :thumb: (well for Jasper actually :lol: )

You know where I am ;)

Hi Bex, Sorry I just finished work. Was supposed to finish at 2pm but never mind. On the plus side, weather is lovely today :D Thank you for getting back to me and apologies for not updating you about Jasper yet! I have been meaning to but my head's been in the shed this week.

Jasper is doing great thank you, he has had his operation (with Honor) and he doing so well. He is eating great, very lively and happy and doesn't appear to be in any pain. I just panicked when I googled the Amoxycare and it said that is should not be given to rabbits orally or parenterally. The emergency vet told me that she would NEVER give this to a rabbit and asked for the circumstances. When I told her the infection was in his jaw she said that my vet had been backed into a corner due to the severity of his infection. She said that it was up to me what I did. I asked if it could be fatal to inject this and she said yes :cry: ! I didn't know what to do… I asked if there is a safer alternative and she said that all penicillins are the same and can cause the gut to fail. But he could be fine and there was no way of telling.

So Jasper had his first injection earlier today and so far no drastic reactions… I will keep an eye on him and hope that I was worrying over nothing.

x

x

So glad you got to see Honor, she is really good! I'm glad she could help him and I'm pleased to hear he's doing well :D what's his treatment going forward?

Don't worry about the antibiotic, Lola had her fourth jab this morning and she's just fine. I however became convinced I'd spilt some on her so I had to wash her neck much to her disgust!!

The weather is so nice today, spent some time outside with Lola which she loved!

J you are more than welcome :D I am pleased and relieved that you contacted this site and myself before taking the advice of the first vet. So it's all down to you .... and of course your brill hubby doing the injections for you :thumb: (well for Jasper actually :lol: )

You know where I am ;)

Thank you :thumb: yes my lovely husband has definitely coped with the injections better than me. Although jasper barely flinches. He doesnt notice it. Hes a brave boy.
X

So glad you got to see Honor, she is really good! I'm glad she could help him and I'm pleased to hear he's doing well :D what's his treatment going forward?

Don't worry about the antibiotic, Lola had her fourth jab this morning and she's just fine. I however became convinced I'd spilt some on her so I had to wash her neck much to her disgust!!

The weather is so nice today, spent some time outside with Lola which she loved!

Aw thats brill im pleased Lola enjoyed some time in the sun. Jasper has enjoyed the garden too. Hes been following me around loads the last couple of days. Hes very clingy and affectionate :love:
Im pleased lola is fine with the amoxycare. Did you have her bacteria cultured? Im going to enquire about this on wednesday.
Im not entirely sure what his ongoing treatment will be until i see honor. He hasnt been back in after his op yet.
He has the antibiotic beads so im hoping they will work well and can stay inside his jaw without any issues. Then a long antibiotic treatment going forward. I will see if i can change amoxycare to an alternative injectable penicillin because there is conflicting opinions in relation to this. He did have amoxycare yesterday though and is fine.
How are you managing with Lola's wound? Does she give you much grief? X

I'm not sure if the bacteria was cultured, she hasn't mentioned that to me.
The wound care is going ok, I did struggle at first but now she sits fairly well but let's me know when she's had enough! Luckily her wound isn't deep, it just scabs over too fast, Honor said the wound is doing fine so just to do the best I can. We've had no pus or anything gathering in it so I'm hoping that is a good sign. We are back in with Honor on Friday and I'm hoping she says we can allow it to heal soon! Do you have to clean Jaspers up at all? When did he actually have his op?
You might find the amoxycare goes a bit funny in the syringe like its solidified, you can turn it back into liquid by pulling the plunger back and flicking the syringe and tipping it a few times - not sure if you were aware but thought id mention it just in case as it happened to me and I thought there was something wrong with it! X

I'm not sure if the bacteria was cultured, she hasn't mentioned that to me.
The wound care is going ok, I did struggle at first but now she sits fairly well but let's me know when she's had enough! Luckily her wound isn't deep, it just scabs over too fast, Honor said the wound is doing fine so just to do the best I can. We've had no pus or anything gathering in it so I'm hoping that is a good sign. We are back in with Honor on Friday and I'm hoping she says we can allow it to heal soon! Do you have to clean Jaspers up at all? When did he actually have his op?
You might find the amoxycare goes a bit funny in the syringe like its solidified, you can turn it back into liquid by pulling the plunger back and flicking the syringe and tipping it a few times - not sure if you were aware but thought id mention it just in case as it happened to me and I thought there was something wrong with it! X

Hi bex. Sorry iv just had the chance to reply. I would imagine that the bacteria hasnt been cultured if she hasnt mentioned it. I think its quite expensive to do this. I asked honor if there was a safer alternative to the amoxycare and she told me penicillins are all the same and have the same risks because nothing is really authorised for rabbits but shes used it for years and had no issues. Thank you for the tip about the amoxycare i did think it had thickened. Iv just injected him today but really struggled with this one particular syringe. Just couldnt seem to pierce the skin enough. I tried another one and did it no problem. Think it might of been a blunt syringe.
Jasper had his operation nearly 2 weeks ago now. Hes great. His wound is healing well and hes very happy. There is no cleaning involved with his wound as its sewn shut. I didnt want to go for the open wound because he would kick off it i tried to clean it. The beads seem to be working well so far. Took him for a check up last week and honor said it all feels perfect so fingers crossed it wont come bk for a while or at all if possible xx

That's good news, I'm pleased he's doing well!
We were back to see Honor yesterday and Lola is also doing great, she's really pleased with her. She's just about to have her 6th and last Amoxycare jab, she's been fine on them, I'm sure Jasper will be too. Maybe you had a dodgy needle today, they did tell me to make sure you put the needle in with the hole facing upwards as it pierces the skin easier.
The stitches are starting to come out of Lola's wound so it'll start to heal itself but still have to keep up with the cleaning of it and keeping it open as long as possible. I'll be so glad when it can close up!! Xx

Hello

How did your bunnies do on Amoxicillin? I was just given some for a suspected brain abscess in a rabbit and am understandably apprehensive. Last thing I'd want to do is to kill him by trying to cure him and some sites suggest that the consequences can be quite delayed, you may not see adverse effects until long after the course is finished.

Is everybunny well and OK and cured?

Oksana x

Hello

How did your bunnies do on Amoxicillin? I was just given some for a suspected brain abscess in a rabbit and am understandably apprehensive. Last thing I'd want to do is to kill him by trying to cure him and some sites suggest that the consequences can be quite delayed, you may not see adverse effects until long after the course is finished.

Is everybunny well and OK and cured?

Oksana x

Hi Oksana :wave:

I don't think JJasper comes on here, but I am in touch with her and her bunny is doing well the last I heard!

Pencillin, in the form of Duphapen or Depocillin is most used by vets, but Amoxicillin is also used - ALWAYS INJECTED!

I have medicated dozens of bunnies in this way, and I have never had any contra - indications. Is your vet rabbit savvy?

Hi Oksana :wave:

I don't think JJasper comes on here, but I am in touch with her and her bunny is doing well the last I heard!

Pencillin, in the form of Duphapen or Depocillin is most used by vets, but Amoxicillin is also used - ALWAYS INJECTED!

I have medicated dozens of bunnies in this way, and I have never had any contra - indications. Is your vet rabbit savvy?
Hello [emoji112]
Thank you for your reply. Yes, she's rabbit-savvy, and they're a referral practice for exotics too. It is injectable, of course. It's good to hear it's safe.
Oksana x

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back