• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Case study on heavy metal poisoning - worth bearing in mind for us all!

It's crazy how many things have toxic metals that we don't even think of! It's something I'm very conscious of with my birds because of how sensitive birds are to toxic metals.

My buns don't chew so I don't have to be as careful with them but I am careful when getting them toys e.g. knowing what kind of metals are on the toys if there is any or only buying from trusted places (you'd think manufacturers would only use safe metals, but no, it's a common problem with parrot toys and cages!). It's amazing how many rabbit toys will say 'made from safe wood/sisal/etc' but not mention whether the metal attachment that the toy hangs from is safe/what kind of metal it is :?

It's crazy how many things have toxic metals that we don't even think of! It's something I'm very conscious of with my birds because of how sensitive birds are to toxic metals.

My buns don't chew so I don't have to be as careful with them but I am careful when getting them toys e.g. knowing what kind of metals are on the toys if there is any or only buying from trusted places (you'd think manufacturers would only use safe metals, but no, it's a common problem with parrot toys and cages!). It's amazing how many rabbit toys will say 'made from safe wood/sisal/etc' but not mention whether the metal attachment that the toy hangs from is safe/what kind of metal it is :?

Yes, and some toys are made of whicker etc entwined around wire. No mention of what the wire is made of. No mention of how damn sharp it is when all the whicker is chewed off.

This has sparked something for me...what about well water?
We had very hard water here that has a constant iron content to it. Now the buns don't drink it but I can't wash their greens with bottled water, so how much of that dripping from their food or dishes/bottles would be considered toxic? :?

I often asked around if anyone knew whether the pen bars from Mimzy's night habitat (the one he spent nights in before we got his exercise yard) were painted with toxic materials but could never get anything conclusive on the construction. :(

Back